Facebook groups: anonymous posting

Facebook groups: anonymous posting

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Jun 22

Facebook has introduced “anonymous posting” in groups.

In the wake of the “anonymous thumbs” conversations here at RHP, I wondered if people here thought this was a good idea?

F

Moves
22 Jun 22

@divegeester said

In the wake of the “anonymous thumbs” conversations here at RHP, I wondered if people here thought this was a good idea?
Oh my Good Lord in Heaven!

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22 Jun 22

@divegeester said

Facebook as such is a bad idea from a great many perpectives.

I expect you to lieave FB (if you are there at all) directly after that step.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Jun 22

@ponderable said
Facebook as such is a bad idea from a great many perpectives.

I expect you to lieave FB (if you are there at all) directly after that step.
You expect me to leave Facebook because of anonymous posting in groups?

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
23 Jun 22
1 edit

I am not nor have I ever been on Facebook.
Some chess clubs I play against have a FB page and broadcast games on FB.
Occasionally I will get my wife to log into hers so I can look at these.

F

Moves
23 Jun 22

@the-gravedigger said
Occasionally I will get my wife to log into hers so I can look at these.
Behind every bog-standard social-media-averse man, there is a Great Woman.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Jun 22
1 edit

@Ponderable

TU from me, Pondy. Furthermore, Zuck is a scoundrel who shirks responsibility and monetarizes children. I despise him and boycott his products.

RE anonymous posting; Zuck doesn’t care who posts what; he never takes responsibility for content. The only thing he cares about is the number of connections, which translates into money in his pocket. If he thinks he can attract more people by offering anonymous posting, he’ll offer anonymous posting. If he thought cats could operate the UI, he’d monetarize cats with a feline FB.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
23 Jun 22

@fmf said
Behind every bog-standard social-media-averse man, there is a Great Woman.
😆 😆

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Jun 22

@moonbus said
@Ponderable

TU from me, Pondy. Furthermore, Zuck is a scoundrel who shirks responsibility and monetarizes children. I despise him and boycott his products.

RE anonymous posting; Zuck doesn’t care who posts what; he never takes responsibility for content. The only thing he cares about is the number of connections, which translates into money in his pocket. If he thinks h ...[text shortened]... r anonymous posting. If he thought cats could operate the UI, he’d monetarize cats with a feline FB.
Irrespective of your vehement dislike and disapproval of Zuckerberg, what are you thoughts on anonymous posting generally, and specifically in the light of the recent discussions of anonymous thumbs which you are an ardent supporter of?

G

Moves
23 Jun 22

A short time ago FB changed the name from groups to communities.
I see no way to post anonymously

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Jun 22

@gambrel said
A short time ago FB changed the name from groups to communities.
I see no way to post anonymously
Groups are still called “groups” and anonymous posting is possible.

https://www.facebook.com/help/android-app/832270967369626

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Jun 22

@divegeester said
Irrespective of your vehement dislike and disapproval of Zuckerberg, what are you thoughts on anonymous posting generally, and specifically in the light of the recent discussions of anonymous thumbs which you are an ardent supporter of?
Anonymous thumbs lack content, but refer to a non-anonymous post which has content. Anonymous posts have content. That’s a significant difference. If someone anonymously posts incitement to violence, for example, the post should not only be deleted, but the poster banned. This will be possible only if, behind the UI, site admin can still identify the user.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Jun 22
2 edits

@moonbus said
Anonymous thumbs lack content, but refer to a non-anonymous post which has content. Anonymous posts have content. That’s a significant difference. If someone anonymously posts incitement to violence, for example, the post should not only be deleted, but the poster banned. This will be possible only if, behind the UI, site admin can still identify the user.
But anonymity here is only “anonymous” to the public interface… posters could still alert the posts and the site administration would be able to see who the poster was and still ban them, so your point is moot.

Anonymity is only for the public face of the forum, surely with your allegiance to anonymous thumbs, you would support anonymous posting?

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 Jun 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
But anonymity here is only “anonymous” to the public interface… posters could still alert the posts and the site administration would be able to see who the poster was and still ban them, so your point is moot.

Anonymity is only for the public face of the forum, surely with your allegiance to anonymous thumbs, you would support anonymous posting?
I support taking responsibility for content. And don't call me Shirley.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Jun 22

@moonbus said
I support taking responsibility for content. And don't call me Shirley.
Which is odd considering you don’t support taking responsibility for thumbs, which are themselves content of the thread.

Anyway, clearly you hadn’t thought it through.