1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '22 07:25
    Facebook has introduced “anonymous posting” in groups.

In the wake of the “anonymous thumbs” conversations here at RHP, I wondered if people here thought this was a good idea?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '22 08:35
    @divegeester said

In the wake of the “anonymous thumbs” conversations here at RHP, I wondered if people here thought this was a good idea?
    Oh my Good Lord in Heaven!
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Jun '22 08:55
    @divegeester said

Facebook as such is a bad idea from a great many perpectives.

I expect you to lieave FB (if you are there at all) directly after that step.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 06:40
    @ponderable said
    Facebook as such is a bad idea from a great many perpectives.

I expect you to lieave FB (if you are there at all) directly after that step.
    You expect me to leave Facebook because of anonymous posting in groups?
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 07:331 edit
    I am not nor have I ever been on Facebook.
    Some chess clubs I play against have a FB page and broadcast games on FB.
    Occasionally I will get my wife to log into hers so I can look at these.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 07:55
    @the-gravedigger said
    Occasionally I will get my wife to log into hers so I can look at these.
    Behind every bog-standard social-media-averse man, there is a Great Woman.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 09:421 edit
    @Ponderable

TU from me, Pondy. Furthermore, Zuck is a scoundrel who shirks responsibility and monetarizes children. I despise him and boycott his products.

RE anonymous posting; Zuck doesn’t care who posts what; he never takes responsibility for content. The only thing he cares about is the number of connections, which translates into money in his pocket. If he thinks he can attract more people by offering anonymous posting, he’ll offer anonymous posting. If he thought cats could operate the UI, he’d monetarize cats with a feline FB.
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 10:13
    @fmf said
    Behind every bog-standard social-media-averse man, there is a Great Woman.
    😆 😆
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 14:05
    @moonbus said
    @Ponderable

TU from me, Pondy. Furthermore, Zuck is a scoundrel who shirks responsibility and monetarizes children. I despise him and boycott his products.

RE anonymous posting; Zuck doesn’t care who posts what; he never takes responsibility for content. The only thing he cares about is the number of connections, which translates into money in his pocket. If he thinks h ...[text shortened]... r anonymous posting. If he thought cats could operate the UI, he’d monetarize cats with a feline FB.
    Irrespective of your vehement dislike and disapproval of Zuckerberg, what are you thoughts on anonymous posting generally, and specifically in the light of the recent discussions of anonymous thumbs which you are an ardent supporter of?
  10. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 14:07
    A short time ago FB changed the name from groups to communities.
    I see no way to post anonymously
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 14:12
    @gambrel said
    A short time ago FB changed the name from groups to communities.
    I see no way to post anonymously
    Groups are still called “groups” and anonymous posting is possible.

https://www.facebook.com/help/android-app/832270967369626
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 15:32
    @divegeester said
    Irrespective of your vehement dislike and disapproval of Zuckerberg, what are you thoughts on anonymous posting generally, and specifically in the light of the recent discussions of anonymous thumbs which you are an ardent supporter of?
    Anonymous thumbs lack content, but refer to a non-anonymous post which has content. Anonymous posts have content. That’s a significant difference. If someone anonymously posts incitement to violence, for example, the post should not only be deleted, but the poster banned. This will be possible only if, behind the UI, site admin can still identify the user.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 16:152 edits
    @moonbus said
    Anonymous thumbs lack content, but refer to a non-anonymous post which has content. Anonymous posts have content. That’s a significant difference. If someone anonymously posts incitement to violence, for example, the post should not only be deleted, but the poster banned. This will be possible only if, behind the UI, site admin can still identify the user.
    But anonymity here is only “anonymous” to the public interface… posters could still alert the posts and the site administration would be able to see who the poster was and still ban them, so your point is moot.

Anonymity is only for the public face of the forum, surely with your allegiance to anonymous thumbs, you would support anonymous posting?
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 08:351 edit
    @divegeester said
    But anonymity here is only “anonymous” to the public interface… posters could still alert the posts and the site administration would be able to see who the poster was and still ban them, so your point is moot.

Anonymity is only for the public face of the forum, surely with your allegiance to anonymous thumbs, you would support anonymous posting?
    I support taking responsibility for content. And don't call me Shirley.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 09:14
    @moonbus said
    I support taking responsibility for content. And don't call me Shirley.
    Which is odd considering you don’t support taking responsibility for thumbs, which are themselves content of the thread.

Anyway, clearly you hadn’t thought it through.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree