1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 09:483 edits
    @divegeester said
    Which is odd considering you don’t support taking responsibility for thumbs, which are themselves content of the thread.

Anyway, clearly you hadn’t thought it through.
    I did think this through. As I have stated several times, thumbs are the equivalent of mumbling "hear, hear" or "rubbish" from the back benches and therefore clearly refer to content which was not anonymous, but without adding any new content.

Posting new content anonymously is different.

EDIT:

An analogy:

If a candidate puts himself up for election and offers campaign promises or a platform, I want to know who he is. Anonymous candidates are not conducive to making informed decisions. However, when it comes to election day, the ballots are secret and rightly so; my neighbors have no business knowing whether I voted for candidate x or y. I may tell them if I wish, but voter anonymity is part of what makes democracy work. Thumbs are analogous to the secret ballot, voting 'yeah' or 'nay' to someone else's content; putting out one's own content is analogous to some candidate's platform, and should not be anonymous.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 09:58
    @divegeester said
    Irrespective of your vehement dislike and disapproval of Zuckerberg, what are you thoughts on anonymous posting generally, and specifically in the light of the recent discussions of anonymous thumbs which you are an ardent supporter of?
    Thumbs are not posting, regardless of your proclivity of demonizing them because you get so many red ones. Try taking responsibility for the tripe you post non-anonymously.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:02
    @divegeester said
    Which is odd considering you don’t support taking responsibility for thumbs, which are themselves content of the thread.

Anyway, clearly you hadn’t thought it through.
    You don't even take responsibility for your own public abrasive posting style. How can you be taken seriously when you complain about anonymity?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:40
    @suzianne said
    You don't even take responsibility for your own public abrasive posting style.
    Are you opposed to "public abrasive posting styles", Suzianne? If so, can people here see that opposition demonstrated in the way you yourself post?
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:43
    @moonbus said
    I did think this through. As I have stated several times, thumbs are the equivalent of mumbling "hear, hear" or "rubbish" from the back benches and therefore clearly refer to content which was not anonymous, but without adding any new content.

Posting new content anonymously is different.

EDIT:

An analogy:

If a candidate puts himself up for election and offers cam ...[text shortened]... utting out one's own content is analogous to some candidate's platform, and should not be anonymous.
    You already explained it perfectly well and yet you get told that you hadn't thought through, told your thinking is odd...

Don't feed the trolls said he feeding the trolls. 🤷‍♂️
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:551 edit
    @moonbus said
    I did think this through.
    Clearly you hadn’t or your initial pitch wouldn’t have been a moot one about in the inability for site admin to recognise abusive posting and do something about it.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:581 edit
    @relentless-red said
    You already explained it perfectly well and yet you get told that you hadn't thought through, told your thinking is odd...

Don't feed the trolls said he feeding the trolls. 🤷‍♂️
    What’s even more odd is your public signalling to your group that you want to comment on the topic but simultaneously you don’t bother commenting on the topic, but instead send a horizontal barb about “trolls” aimed at your detractors as you are trapped in some mental paradigm which prevents you just posting directly to others like a normal person.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 10:59
    @the-gravedigger said
    I am not nor have I ever been on Facebook.
    Some chess clubs I play against have a FB page and broadcast games on FB.
    Occasionally I will get my wife to log into hers so I can look at these.
    I am on facebook and use it to facetime my family in Oz for free and keep in touch with my son in Northampton.....and to stir and muddy the waters.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 11:211 edit
    @suzianne said
    You don't even take responsibility for your own public abrasive posting style. How can you be taken seriously when you complain about anonymity?
    As I explained to moonbus, anonymous posting doesn’t preclude moderation.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 11:231 edit
    @badradger said
    I am on facebook and use it to facetime my family in Oz for free and keep in touch with my son in Northampton.....and to stir and muddy the waters.
    Facebook is a useful platform for communication.
    Of course there will always be those who abuse it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 11:251 edit
    @moonbus said
    An analogy:
    If a candidate puts himself up for election and offers campaign promises or a platform, I want to know who he is. Anonymous candidates are not conducive to making informed decisions. However, when it comes to election day, the ballots are secret and rightly so; my neighbors have no business knowing whether I voted for candidate x or y. I may tell them if I wish, ...[text shortened]... utting out one's own content is analogous to some candidate's platform, and should not be anonymous.
    No one posting here is campaigning for election.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 11:38
    @badradger said
    This can be done very easily using WhatsApp: just have a family group or subgroups, free video calls, free phone calls, share photos etc. WhatsApp can be used on a laptop or PC too.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 12:18
    @divegeester said
    Facebook is a useful platform for communication.
    Of course there will always be those who abuse it.
    I abuse it
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 12:20
    @fmf said
    This can be done very easily using WhatsApp: just have a family group or subgroups, free video calls, free phone calls, share photos etc. WhatsApp can be used on a laptop or PC too.
    why bother when we all have facebook on our phones and laptops, its easy to use and convenient.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 14:00
    @divegeester said
    No one posting here is campaigning for election.
    fmf your buddy was advocating himself for Moderator at one point. What are your thoughts on that? 🙂

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree