Ever wanted to live “off the grid”?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19
1 edit

@johnsim03 said
The traditional off the grid movement lifestyle is difficult to do in the US today. By traditional, I mean buying some land and creating your own little world, trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. It takes boat loads of money, as most places have building codes which require tens of thousands of dollars just to set up the basics (water, septic, etc.). The tiny house ...[text shortened]... find all of these things fascinating - how people solve problems to live the kind of life they want.
Yes, when I talk about me living off of the grid I don’t imagine myself pitched up in some mud-infested hell-hole existing cheek-by-jowl with a bunch of beatnik disaffected tree-hugging guardian readers and some filthy ageing hippies who still think Easy Rider (love that film) is the benchmark of counter-culture expression.

No, I have no intention of abandoning the good things in life wether I’m on or off any metaphorical grid.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19

@russ said

And leave you lot to fend for yourselves here? Don't be silly.... 😉

[hidden]you lot. (idiomatic, colloquial, chiefly Britain, may have disparaging nuance) [/hidden]
I was in Newbury last week but forgot to pop in and say hi.

Chess Nut

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said
Yes, when I talk about me living off of the grid I don’t imagine myself pitched up in some mud-infested hell-hole existing cheek-by-jowl with a bunch of beatnik disaffected tree-hugging guardian readers and some filthy ageing hippies who still think Easy Rider (love that film) is the benchmark of counter-culture expression.

No, I have no intention of abandoning the good things in life wether I’m on or off any metaphorical grid.
Yeah, I don't think a nomad lifestyle would be for you...

You meet all sorts of people, of course. You might be surprised how many highly educated (and clean) folks are doing this. To classify BLM public lands as mud-infested hell-holes is ridiculous, of course - take a look at a map of BLM lands in the Western US... Although "tribes" of people do travel together (or have gatherings), most of the time it is a solitary pursuit. A single person with a dog or cat, or a couple, etc.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Aug 19

@patzering said
That would be stalking.
Well...Some would call it stalking I'd call it knowing who they were and them not knowing who you were. 😉

-VR

c

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said

What "good things in life" do you suppose to maintain if you're off the grid?

Your OP defines constant travel, no bills, working for cash, no social media.

I don't think you'd survive too long dive.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
What "good things in life" do you suppose to maintain if you're off the grid?

Your OP defines constant travel, no bills, working for cash, no social media.

Well I’d still own my home and have a bank account so I’m not taking about burning bridges, just doing a little day-to-day living without internet or ties to everyday commitments.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
I’m talking about being Tom Hanks and making rafts out of coconuts and spiders webs.

c

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said
Well I’d still own my home and have a bank account so I’m not taking about burning bridges, just doing a little day-to-day living without internet or ties to everyday commitments.
Lol lol.
Okay, so going to a bed & breakfast for the weekend is your idea of getting off the grid.

c

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said
We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
The other dynamic are the people that are 'forced' to live off the grid, such as escaped convicts. Ironically, they likely desire nothing more than to get back on the grid.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Aug 19

I just thought of something, I couldn't do without my daily dose of Mcdonald's coffee!!!

-VR

F

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said
We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
The nearest I have come to it was for several years the British Embassy in Japan didn't know I was in Japan (and would not have known to contact me if there has been some reason to) and I think, more or less, the UK Government has not known whether or not I was in the UK at any given point for most of the last 28 years, unless they have some kind of database that tells them what passport numbers have exited and not reentered.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
Okay, so going to a bed & breakfast for the weekend is your idea of getting off the grid.
This thread is about exploring different people’s ideas of what being off the grid means.

c

Moves
09 Aug 19

@divegeester said
This thread is about exploring different people’s ideas of what being off the grid means.
Yes, I know.

Yours is owning a home, which requires paying bills....and also maintaining your bank account.

I was just laughing about how far off the grid that is.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Aug 19

@very-rusty said
I just thought of something, I couldn't do without my daily dose of Mcdonald's coffee!!!

-VR
Take yourself off the grid sir and I will find a way to get it to you.

😴

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
Yes, I know.
Yours is owning a home, which requires paying bills....and also maintaining your bank account.
I was just laughing about how far off the grid that is.
I’ve explained what my idea of living of a metaphorical grid would mean. It’s ok if it’s not yours.