Ever wanted to live “off the grid”?

Ever wanted to live “off the grid”?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Aug 19

We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?

Gothenburg

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester
I would love to, for a while.

c

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester said
We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
A real person who did this was Dick Proenneke. He gave up a successful material life at age 50 and moved to Alaska, off the grid, for many years.

The documentary "Alone in the Wilderness" is about his life. He built his own cabin, hunted, fished, and lived primarily off the land by himself.

Fascinating.

is getting old...

Moves
08 Aug 19

I'd need a woman.

Gothenburg

Moves
08 Aug 19
2 edits

@patzering said
I'd need a woman.
There are women everywhere, don't worry about it - we are not talking about an isolated island, are we? The question is though - do they need you? 🙂

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Aug 19

@patzering said
I'd need a woman.
I have to agree with you there! 😉

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
08 Aug 19
1 edit

@very-rusty said
I have to agree with you there! 😉

-VR
...or you...? 🙂

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
A real person who did this was Dick Proenneke. He gave up a successful material life at age 50 and moved to Alaska, off the grid, for many years.

The documentary "Alone in the Wilderness" is about his life. He built his own cabin, hunted, fished, and lived primarily off the land by himself.

Fascinating.
Interesting, do you have a link to that documentary please?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Aug 19

The internet has brought the world into our laps, for good and bad.

Sometimes I relish the thought of disappearing for a while, of living somewhere, on the road maybe, just being completely anonymous.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester said
The internet has brought the world into our laps, for good and bad.

Sometimes I relish the thought of disappearing for a while, of living somewhere, on the road maybe, just being completely anonymous.
I'd love to meet some of the people on here anonymously, only with me knowing who they are....Now that would be an interesting meet up.

-VR

is getting old...

Moves
08 Aug 19

@very-rusty said
I'd love to meet some of the people on here anonymously, only with me knowing who they are....Now that would be an interesting meet up.

-VR
That would be stalking.

c

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester said
Interesting, do you have a link to that documentary please?
A google search of his name, and the name of the documentary will provide links. (I still don't know how to attach).

Also, PBS airs this documentary a lot, and it's one of their most watched programs.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester said

Ever done it?

Want to?
I'm too old to leave the comforts of home but I've thought about it

supertramp, into the wild

Gothenburg

Moves
08 Aug 19

@torunn said
@divegeester
I would love to, for a while.
... but I know I would never make it.

A

RSA

Moves
08 Aug 19

@divegeester said

Ever done it?

Want to?
It's a fantasy of mine to have a cabin somewhere in North America, with a lake and forest nearby.

For one-fifth of my life thus far, I lived in a remote part of Canada which matches the above description. At my tiny school, there weren't enough children to fill one class per grade, so two grades were blended into one class.

It was an uncomplicated, peaceful lifestyle and those years were probably the best of my life. I say that having lived on 4 continents. When I moved back to the UK, I still spent quite a lot of time there in my holidays - it is only 6 hours across the Atlantic.

Give it a go if you feel like it. You might be surprised.