Contour v Contor

Contour v Contor

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
06 Mar 23

@suzianne said
Okay, Metal Brain.
I hope your right.

πŸ‘Œ

Moves
06 Mar 23

@ponderable said
you meant broder?
πŸ˜„

IP

Moves
06 Mar 23

He brought naught as he fought from a fort, no doubt about the root of the rout, or the route home.

I wrote a limerick about this kind of thing, which I'm trying to remember, bear with me....

If a womb is the place we begin it
And a tomb we put dead people in it
Then a comb would be coom
And a bomb would go boom
It's a funny old language though, innit.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
06 Mar 23

@indonesia-phil said
He brought naught as he fought from a fort, no doubt about the root of the rout, or the route home.

I wrote a limerick about this kind of thing, which I'm trying to remember, bear with me....

If a womb is the place we begin it
And a tomb we put dead people in it
Then a comb would be coom
And a bomb would go boom
It's a funny old language though, innit.
Impressive Phil.

Moves
06 Mar 23

Perhaps Americans are have less time to include the “u”, kinda like “a stitch in time”?πŸ€”

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
06 Mar 23

In England, 1970's. The education system decided to start using hte 'Initial Teaching Alphabet' or ita. The idea was kids would spell words how they sounded and later they'd learn some words aren't spelled that way. The result is there is a generation who can't spell.
I suspect either early Americas couldn't be bothered to spell things the English way, or they purposefully tried to break away from the English and make something that separated them.
The English language is a mess anyway. Why doesn't break rhyme with freak?

Moves
06 Mar 23

@yo-its-me said
In England, 1970's. The education system decided to start using hte 'Initial Teaching Alphabet' or ita. The idea was kids would spell words how they sounded and later they'd learn some words aren't spelled that way. The result is there is a generation who can't spell.
I suspect either early Americas couldn't be bothered to spell things the English way, or they purposefully ...[text shortened]... ing that separated them.
It does rhyme with brake though.πŸ‘

Über-Nerd

Moves
06 Mar 23

@yo-its-me said
I suspect either early Americas couldn't be bothered to spell things the English way, or they purposefully ...[text shortened]... ing that separated them.
Both British and American English variants are awful to spell. I suspect this is partly due to the French, Vikings, and Saxons having invaded Britain some time ago and deposited their genes and phonemes there.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
06 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Both British and American English variants are awful to spell. I suspect this is partly due to the French, Vikings, and Saxons having invaded Britain some time ago and deposited their genes and phonemes there.
Yes lets go back to Piktish or something (maybe they have been invaders too at some time?)

Über-Nerd

Moves
06 Mar 23

Please pronounce the word "ghoti."

I'll give you all a hint: it's pronounced 'fish.'

gh as in enough, o as in women, ti as in notion.

IP

Moves
06 Mar 23

@yo-its-me said
He had eaten steak for breakfast....Phonetically he had eeten stake for brekfast, there's three versions of 'ea' before you've even really woken up.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
06 Mar 23

@indonesia-phil said
He had eaten steak for breakfast....Phonetically he had eeten stake for brekfast, there's three versions of 'ea' before you've even really woken up.
If he has not really woken up he shouldn't be eating steak. Glad he is confused. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

IP

Moves
06 Mar 23

We have to employ a couple of staff as a part of the deal in order to live here, (we need them anyway!) we speak pigeon Indonesian, they speak pigeon English, so we've sort of started our own Englonesian language, which is about 50 - 50, wherein the subtleties of both languages are lost completely. I come on here so I can remember how to talk proper.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Mar 23

@yo-its-me said
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

We have Noah Webster to thank for a more sensible American grammar and spelling.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Mar 23

Ring, rang, rung. Stink, stank, stunk, think, thank, thunk. πŸ˜†