Checkmate or Resignation

Checkmate or Resignation

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
30 Oct 16

How do you prefer to win?

Read a book!

Moves
30 Oct 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I ask robbie for advice.

w

Moves
30 Oct 16

Flipping the board at your opponent as all the pieces come crashing down on their head.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
30 Oct 16

I prefer checkmate, but take the resignation, especially befor a tedious endgame (which I am prepared to play)

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
30 Oct 16

By making the next-to-last mistake.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
30 Oct 16

Bury my opponent.

m

Moves
30 Oct 16

Either. Resignation by an opponent is an honorable thing to do in a gentleman's game.

I once had an opponent on this site in a game at 21 days per move.
I announced to him mate in 7 moves.

His response ?
Mate in 4 months !! πŸ˜€

And he made me play it out.
Luckily it wasn't a clan game !!

Über-Nerd

Moves
30 Oct 16
2 edits

How I prefer to win: whatever works. How I prefer my opponent to lose: ignominious grovelling.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 16

The question is a little bit narrow because there are other factors. One can win a game not because of ones good play but because of ones opponents poor play, these are never quite satisfactory. Its also the same when one plays a game that one should have lost but ends up winning it by sheer luck. Sometimes losing is even preferable to winning if the game is exciting enough, or instructive in some way. The worst is when the game is so unevenly matched and one side mows the other down effortlessly, this is not what chess is about, yes chess is the epic struggle of logic to culminate in a result, but its how that result is achieved that holds the fascination. Sometimes players will let their opponent play out a mate even though they know the outcome because it is a thing of beauty.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 16

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I ask robbie for advice.
good call Handriod Andriod

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
30 Oct 16

A 'surprise' checkmate gives me goose bumps. (If i'm the one delivering it).

rc

Moves
30 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by The Gravedigger
Bury my opponent.
lol lay him down under the pale moon light πŸ˜€

Handy Andy is in this video

Moves
30 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The question is a little bit narrow because there are other factors. One can win a game not because of ones good play but because of ones opponents poor play, these are never quite satisfactory. Its also the same when one plays a game that one should have lost but ends up winning it by sheer luck. Sometimes losing is even preferable to winning if th ...[text shortened]... heir opponent play out a mate even though they know the outcome because it is a thing of beauty.
Nevermind the intellectual self-flagellation Robbie, what is more satisfying to you, a checkmate or a resignation? It's a simple question.

Moves
30 Oct 16

Originally posted by mghrn55
Either. Resignation by an opponent is an honorable thing to do in a gentleman's game.

I once had an opponent on this site in a game at 21 days per move.
I announced to him mate in 7 moves.

His response ?
Mate in 4 months !! πŸ˜€

And he made me play it out.
Luckily it wasn't a clan game !!
I'd let my opponent finish me if there's a checkmate combination (however, I won't make it a 4 month wait). I expect that if you're expecting a forced checkmate then play it through. If it's not forced and you can see it playing on for another 10+ moves then I resign. I've had it where people resign with checkmate next move which I find a little annoying. I've resigned previously when I thought someone was taking the piss, it was a forced mate in 2/3 moves and he didn't play it. Resigned and messaged player asking why he didn't checkmate me. It seems like it was genuine mistake rather than just messing about.

If I am losing considerably (i.e. pieces down and no position for compensation) then I resign if I feel I can't get compensation.

Moves
30 Oct 16

Originally posted by Ponderable
I prefer checkmate, but take the resignation, especially befor a tedious endgame (which I am prepared to play)
After 8 years of playing chess I have come to realise that I prefer it when my opponent resigns.