are we teachers???

are we teachers???

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by FishHead111
Sounds good, but how many parents have the time, qualifications, and inclination to actually follow through with home schooling their children?
I remember one parent arguing with me over why her child was failing and telling me it had to be my fault somehow because , as she put it, "He's smart, he has a 20-20 IQ".
What he had was one of the worst case ...[text shortened]... ever seen and was about the biggest a-hole in the universe. He's in prison now where he belongs.
none have the time to do the things that are required to further our single planet...
heck, even back in the 60's when i was being taught, my parents had no time to do those things...
it was just done...
i do not know how to instill that mindset in anyone...

as a side note, i have seen some of the incredible situations, like the one you describe, that cause the shaking of the head because of the obvious lack of awareness...
i do not know how to raise the consciousness of folks...

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by rookie54
none have the time to do the things that are required to further our single planet...
heck, even back in the 60's when i was being taught, my parents had no time to do those things...
it was just done...
i do not know how to instill that mindset in anyone...

as a side note, i have seen some of the incredible situations, like the one you describe, tha ...[text shortened]... se of the obvious lack of awareness...
i do not know how to raise the consciousness of folks...
There are those who are, and remain, unconscious no matter how hard we try to change that.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
There are those who are, and remain, unconscious no matter how hard we try to change that.
perhaps specialized teaching to bring understanding to those who lack the understanding required to create a homogeneous civilization???

sorry, i just used a few words that i do not understand...

l

Moves
20 Dec 15

If more schools could follow the principles and methods of the Montessori ideas and systems, I believe children would stand a much better chance to learn and mature in their own way. I would have liked my children and my grandchildren to go such a school but that didn't happen.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Dec 15

Don't forget that 49% of medical doctors were in the bottom half of their graduating class.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Dec 15
1 edit

Moves
20 Dec 15

Nope and never had the inclination to be one just as I wouldn't want to be a politician. You couldn't pay me enough in either case. I have nothing but admiration for people who do both, for the most part. I am not saying, and never would say, that it's the teacher's fault. What I'm am saying is the system puts waaay too much emphasis of exams and not ...[text shortened]... h? OK that's it for my rant. As you can tell I am not a fan of the system. Guess I'm a dinosaur.
I was a teacher for eleven years in total. I loved every aspect of it except much of what you mentioned here. I became very disillusioned with all of the testing, the passing kids along who weren't ready, the lack of parental support, the mountains of paperwork...mostly unnecessary ...
Still makes me sad that I left. I do miss the kids...including the students with the behavior problems. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to connect with them and trying to get them excited about learning again.

Moves
20 Dec 15
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Originally posted by drewnogal
The boy you mention sounds like he had a lot of difficulties right from the start? You could have been that very person that could have made all of the difference to him? Don't ever underestimate the impact that our short involvement with young people can make upon them. Never think that you have nothing more to offer a young person. You could have been one of the most influential people in that boy's life. You could been the only person who had ever been different to him; not as a teacher but as a person who was interested enough to care.

Both of my daughters can point to many teachers in their younger years who went above and beyond their "duties" and really shaped them as human beings. Wasn't anything more than providing extra encouragement when they were feeling defeated, or showing a genuine interest in their lives...both in and outside the classroom.

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by moonbus
Don't forget that 49% of medical doctors were in the bottom half of their graduating class.
That statistic has always kind of bothered me. Is it wrong to want the doctor who was in the top 5% of his class?

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by Landisqueen170
That statistic has always kind of bothered me. Is it wrong to want the doctor who was in the top 5% of his class?
let us further this condifiddlyundrum...
what if the doctor who was in the top 5% of his class was taught by a teacher who graduated last???

Moves
20 Dec 15

Originally posted by rookie54
let us further this condifiddlyundrum...
what if the doctor who was in the top 5% of his class was taught by a teacher who graduated last???
Well, I hope that doctor had more than just one teacher? lol

When I was a new mom, someone said to me - children learn in spite of us, not because of us...

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
20 Dec 15

Ever deal with a teen with O.D.D.?
Here's some of the symptoms:
Lying
Chronic violation of rules at home or school
Overly aggressive
Initiates fights
Cheating
Excessive recklessness
Tries to dominate others
Hostile
Excessive swearing
Hits others
Rude
Disruptive at school
Violent threats
Spiteful, vindictive
Being nice to them and trying to make a difference is futile, they take it as a sign of weakness and stampede all over you. . They are just natural born a$$holes.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Dec 15

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
20 Dec 15
3 edits

I dealt with MANY of them, I worked in what was called an ED self contained room, ED stands for Emotionally Disabled, typically half the class had ODD in various degrees.
Most ended up in prison, some dead, one stands out in my mind, a 16 year old girl who was particularly vicious, one day she didn't show up and never came back, turns out she ran her mouth off to the wrong people outside of school and they gave her a good hard stomping, she spent time in the hospital. I heard that she actually wised up and wasn't nearly as big an ace-hole after, sometimes that's what it takes. Funny thing is she went off on me in class a few weeks before the incident and I warned her that in school she could get away with it but if she did it out on the street she'd end up regretting it someday.
One of my most satisfying experiences.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 Dec 15