free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 17:21
    or,
    are we students???
    or,
    at times the one, at times the other???
    as a student, i must be willing to listen and think...
    as a teacher i must be clear, and respectful...
    i am not excellent at either avocation...
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 17:33
    Originally posted by rookie54
    or,
    are we students???
    or,
    at times the one, at times the other???
    as a student, i must be willing to listen and think...
    as a teacher i must be clear, and respectful...
    i am not excellent at either avocation...
    As long as we have people interested in what we say we are teachers and teach well.
    As long as we are interested in what others have to say we are students and good ones.

But if it comes to exams...
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 18:49
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    As long as we have people interested in what we say we are teachers and teach well.
    As long as we are interested in what others have to say we are students and good ones.

But if it comes to exams...
    Exams should be eliminated.
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 18:52
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    hear hear
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 10:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 12:55
    Yeah imagine the nerve of schools expecting students to show their proficiency in a subject in order to get a grade or pass.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 13:004 edits
    .Better hope the doctor/lawyer/pilot/building contractor/electrician passed a few exams along the way before you use their services.
    How about teachers? Shouldn't they take an exam to prove they're fit to teach?
    Or just about anyone else to do anything nowadays.
    Do away with exams?
    What would you replace them with?
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    .Better hope the doctor/lawyer/pilot/building contractor/electrician passed a few exams along the way before you use their services.
    How about teachers? Shouldn't they take an exam to prove they're fit to teach?
    Or just about anyone else to do anything nowadays.
    Do away with exams?
    What would you replace them with?
    A teacher or any other instructor, if they are worth their salt, should be able to determine, in the day to day teaching of the students, whether or not that student is "getting" it. How many people can pass an exam and not retain the information past the next few days?

Replace them with a teacher's impressions of whether or not the student "gets" it. Isn't that a part of what they are paid for? Oh wait kids are no longer failed...no, no just move them on to the next year's "teacher".
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 14:34

Replace them with a teacher's impressions of whether or not the student "gets" it. Isn't that a part of what they are paid for? Oh wait kids are no longer failed...no, no just move them on to the next year's "teacher".
    LOL yeah a teacher's impression of if a student is getting it would a great measuring stick.
    And the kids who aren't getting it, who's fault is that? Used to be the student was held accountable, now it's the teacher's fault if the kid is too stupid, lazy, or insubordinate to pay attention in class.
    Ever been a high school teacher?
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 15:04

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 15:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Retired, although I still substitute a couple days a week just to keep busy..
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 15:281 edit

13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 15:29
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    LOL yeah a teacher's impression of if a student is getting it would a great measuring stick.
    And the kids who aren't getting it, who's fault is that? Used to be the student was held accountable, now it's the teacher's fault if the kid is too stupid, lazy, or insubordinate to pay attention in class.
    Ever been a high school teacher?
    Nope and never had the inclination to be one just as I wouldn't want to be a politician. You couldn't pay me enough in either case. I have nothing but admiration for people who do both, for the most part. I am not saying, and never would say, that it's the teacher's fault. What I'm am saying is the system puts waaay too much emphasis of exams and not enough on saying (via the teachers) "Johnny really doesn't get it and we feel that another go around might do it." A friend of mine is a high school teacher and has been for about 20 years. We often get into discussions about just this subject and a while back he admitted that his school board's policy is "It doesn't matter what mark (grade) you think Johnny should get as long as he's moved on." I had a foster child who struggled throughout his "academic career " he was always challenged no matter the class. In high school they are given core courses they must take and are allowed a couple of chosen ones. He had abilities in art so took that as one of his electives. Well the long and the short of it was he, in his last year of the course, missed most of the classes had a pre final exam mark of 28%. When we got his final report he had a 50% mark (passing here). I called the school and asked how that was possible. Their response was..."We found a few extra marks that enabled him to pass". He got his "special" diploma. That was 4 years ago. He got a job washing dishes shortly after "graduating". It lasted less than one shift. He then, went to college to become a photographer, first time around then it was aircraft mechanic. He didn't last in it either. He has trouble reading at anything beyond a grade 4 level, his math skills may be that of a grade 5 level with the help of a calculator. But hey, push them through eh? OK that's it for my rant. As you can tell I am not a fan of the system. Guess I'm a dinosaur.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 15:52
    tis time for those closest to the children to educate them...
    even though i went to public schools in south texas, i was (BORING!!!) also home schooled by both my mom and my dad...
    they took the stuff i was assigned in school, and made sure i understood it, and then added their own curriculum on top of that...

i am the smartest dummy you will ever meet...
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 16:451 edit
    Originally posted by rookie54
    tis time for those closest to the children to educate them...
    even though i went to public schools in south texas, i was ([b]BORING!!!
    ) also home schooled by both my mom and my dad...
    they took the stuff i was assigned in school, and made sure i understood it, and then added their own curriculum on top of that...

i am the smartest dummy you will ever meet...[/b]
    Sounds good, but how many parents have the time, qualifications, and inclination to actually follow through with home schooling their children?
    I remember one parent arguing with me over why her child was failing and telling me it had to be my fault somehow because , as she put it, "He's smart, he has a 20-20 IQ".
    What he had was one of the worst cases of Oppositional Defiant Disorder I'd ever seen and was about the biggest a-hole in the universe. He's in prison now where he belongs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree