Up for discussion

Up for discussion

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

http://www.economist.com/world/mideast-africa/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13605611&source=features_box1

(extract from the article)

America and Israel lay the ground for forthcoming talks

"YOU’RE not going to like my saying this," said Joseph Biden, America’s vice-president, addressing members of AIPAC, a powerful pro-Israel lobby group, at its convention in Washington, DC, on Tuesday May 5th. Mr Biden was probably right. He went on to ask of Israel that it should "not build more settlements, dismantle existing outposts and allow Palestinians freedom of movement…and access to economic opportunity."

The audience presumably liked it a bit better when the vice-president stressed that the Palestinian Authority “must combat terror and incitement against Israel.” He went on to reassure his audience that "With all the change you will hear about, there is one enduring, essential principle that will not change, and that is our commitment to the peace and security of the state of Israel."

The American statements, Mr Biden's among them, reiterate America's commitment to the “two-state” solution between Israelis and Palestinians. The Israeli pronouncements, including Mr Netanyahu's to AIPAC, stop short of that formula, even though it was the bedrock of the previous Israeli government's policy towards the Palestinians.

Both sides focus on Iran's nuclear ambitions and stress the dangers they pose to Israel and to other regional powers, especially key American allies, such as Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey. A linkage between the two issues, Palestine and Iran, is becoming common currency in diplomacy in the Middle East. But some observers discern potential discord between America and Israel over the order of the two linked issues. Is it to be progress on Palestine that will help American diplomatic efforts to end Iran’s quest for a nuclear bomb? Or will American success in blunting the Iranian threat facilitate Israeli concessions towards the Palestinians?

In a departure from the largely ceremonial role of president, the elder statesman of Israeli politics is trying to smooth possible friction between the two governments. "Netanyahu says he doesn't want to rule over the Palestinians," he pointed out to reporters in Washington.

K

Germany

Moves
06 May 09

Good to see the US is taking a slightly more reasonable approach towards Israel, though I don't see any significant movement towards peace happening any time soon.

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Good to see the US is taking a slightly more reasonable approach towards Israel, though I don't see any significant movement towards peace happening any time soon.
though I don't see any significant movement towards peace happening any time soon.

That's true, but having a desire to talk instead of bombing is good enough.

F

Moves
06 May 09

Is this a doctored, generalissimo'd text or an honest post?

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Is this a doctored, generalissimo'd text or an honest post?
Is this another display of meaningless gibberish from FMF or just an attempt at making yourself look like a fool?

F

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
Is this another display of meaningless gibberish from FMF or just an attempt at making yourself look like a fool?
You are a charlatan. Admit it and come back into the fold. Or else you will be teased forever.

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
You are a charlatan. Admit it and come back into the fold. Or else you will be teased forever.
You're the only charlatan here, you lied about Cuba, why should anyone believe you? you're probably lying about many other things you stated before as well.

Admit it and come back into the fold

You just don't understand do you?
Im never going to apologise for something I haven't done.

Or else you will be teased forever.

Yeah, like I care.
Being teased by you is like being teased by a10-year-old school boy.

F

Moves
06 May 09

You're the only charlatan here, you lied about Cuba, why should anyone believe you? you're probably lying about many other things you stated before as well.

[b] Admit it and come back into the fold

You just don't understand do you?
Im never going to apologise for something I haven't done.

Or else you will be teased forever.

Yeah, like I care.
Being teased by you is like being teased by a10-year-old school boy.[/b]
Here is genralissimo's OP from "Legalized robbery...", which purported to be a cut and paste from the BBC web site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8030223.stm

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

The non-indigenous rice farmers and farm workers say they are victims of "legalised robbery".

The decision was hailed as a major victory for indigenous rights, and was also regarded as setting an important precedent for future court cases.

However, the ruling was also a defeat for the non-indigenous rice producers and farm workers who lived and worked in the area, and who said their removal would undermine the economy of Roraima.

As this sensitive operation was getting underway, the governor of Roraima, Jose de Anchieta Jr, was accused of racism by the state agency which looks after indigenous rights.

The governor said the federal government had not provided sufficient resources for the local indigenous population to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And now here is the actual article from the web site (I have highlighted the words and phrases and sentences that generalissimo took it upon himself to remove from the original article):

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

The non-indigenous rice farmers and farm workers say they are victims of "legalised robbery".

But the authorities say they will be properly compensated.

In March, Brazil's Supreme Court ruled that the area in the northern border state of Roraima should be maintained as a single continuous territory exclusively for use by the indigenous population.

The decision was hailed as a major victory for indigenous rights, and was also regarded as setting an important precedent for future court cases.

However, the ruling was also a defeat for the non-indigenous rice producers and farm workers who lived and worked in the area, and who said their removal would undermine the economy of Roraima.

Around 300 police and soldiers are now reported to have begun an operation to remove any remaining rice producers and farm workers from the 1.7 million hectare reservation.

There were said to be around 30 non-indigenous families in the reservation as the deadline approached, but the authorities say force will only be used if they meet with violent resistance.

Some of the rice producers have been criticised for destroying farm buildings as they left the area.

Late on Friday the authorities reported that there had been no violence as a result of the first day of the operation to remove non-indigenous residents from the area.

While around 20 families of small rice producers were still in Raposa Serra do Sol, they were only there because of logistical problems, and would be given help to move their belongings, officials said.

As this sensitive operation was getting underway, the governor of Roraima, Jose de Anchieta Jr, was accused of racism by the state agency which looks after indigenous rights.

The governor said the federal government had not provided sufficient resources for the local indigenous population to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."

The authorities insist they will provide the necessary support.

The reservation, which is in the far north of Brazil on the border with Venezuela and Guyana, is home to around 20,000 indigenous people.

Officials say the operation to ensure the Supreme Court ruling has been obeyed could take some days to complete.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I put it to you, generalissimo, that you deliberately editted the BBC article WITHOUT INDICATING THAT YOU HAD DOCTORED THE ORIGINAL TEXT. You succeeded in altering the tone and, more importantly, the balance of the article. This is reprehensible. Seeing as you very often start threads by cutting and pasting texts, I contend that there is now a very large question mark hovering over you and your integrity.

The stuff you thought would not "be important" was about the legality of the move, the constitutionality of the move, the compensation on offer, the support for the indigenous poeple being proposed, the fact that it was 20,000 people - who had NOT threatened violence against 30 families - who HAD threatened violence - the text was DOCTORED by you, beyond all semblence of balance. This is an RHP scandal. I think you are too dim and pompous to even recognize it. For all your passion and sincerity, you have done something deeply wrong here. Do you even realize?

This is a textbook case of forum fraud.

What's your defence: other people are hoaxers??

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Here is genralissimo's OP from "Legalized robbery...", which purported to be a cut and paste from the BBC web site:

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the co ...[text shortened]... extbook case of forum fraud.

What's your defence: other people are hoaxers??
Yeah, I've seen this before.

And I explained why I did what I did, and included the link so that everyone could go see the whole article.

And I don't know about other people, but Im pretty sure you're a hoaxer.

F

Moves
06 May 09

Yeah, I've seen this before.

And I explained why I did what I did
Well then. Where is your apology?

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well then. Where is your apology?
There isn't going to be an apology.

Where's yours?

edit- thanks for polluting this thread with your BS, if you want to talk about this send me a PM, or start a thread of your own, I think we've gone too off-topic.

F

Moves
06 May 09

you lied about Cuba
I spent 72 hours in Cuba in 1987. An unplanned stopover.

What's your point?

F

Moves
06 May 09

if you want to talk about this send me a PM
I have had enough of your poisonous "Personal Messages". No more please. Any more of that rubbish and I will alert the web site owners. Please cease and desist.

g

Pepperland

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
I have had enough of your poisonous "Personal Messages". No more please. Any more of that rubbish and I will alert the web site owners. Please cease and desist.
so start a thread of your own, this thread is about Israel not about your little games.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
06 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
I spent 72 hours in Cuba in 1987. An unplanned stopover.

What's your point?
Bet it felt like a year, didn't it?

GRANNY.