1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:46
    @athousandyoung said
    Just want to point out the IRA fought for over half a century without constant influx of weapons from foreign governments and never militarily drove the British out of Ireland.
    That was terrorism to fight a militarily superior occupier. That was not a conventional war. You are being silly.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:50
    @metal-brain said
    That was terrorism to fight a militarily superior occupier. That was not a conventional war. You are being silly.
    I have to mention it. This is no1marauder I'm talking to.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:51
    @athousandyoung said
    I have to mention it. This is no1marauder I'm talking to.
    Ukraine cannot win.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:52
    @metal-brain said
    Ukraine cannot win.
    Depends on how you define "win".
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:56
    @athousandyoung said
    Depends on how you define "win".
    How do you define win?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:58
    @metal-brain said
    How do you define win?
    I avoid the term because it's poorly defined but if I had to define "win" in this case:

20 years from now Ukraine is in NATO, the EU and controls Donbas, Crimea etc. This is a Ukraine win.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 08:28
    @athousandyoung said
    I avoid the term because it's poorly defined but if I had to define "win" in this case:

20 years from now Ukraine is in NATO, the EU and controls Donbas, Crimea etc. This is a Ukraine win.
    That will never happen.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 May '22 10:43
    @metal-brain said
    That will never happen.
    Don't forget in 20 years Vlad Putin will probably be long dead.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 May '22 11:042 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Do you think the Ukraine is willing to engage in a decade or more long struggle to recover every inch of its territory including the Donbass and the Crimea?

Do you think they are likely to be successful in that enterprise even if they are?

And do you think the West will be willing to fund it for an indefinite period of time?
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    But I’d rather the Ukrainians accepted a return to pre invasion map and a complete decoupling from the Crimea and breakaway republics who would have no political, economic or military powers of veto over the remainder of Ukraine.
    But in order to do this Ukraine would need NATO membership in order to guarantee the future security of the remnant state.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 May '22 11:08
    @metal-brain said
    Ukraine cannot win.
    Neither can Russia their army is not up to the task, that was obvious after the first couple of weeks.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 May '22 11:163 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Any other theories?
    https://www.npr.org/2022/04/21/1094008336/biden-announces-another-800-million-to-support-ukraine-military

Biden pledged "another" 800 million in military aid to Ukraine in addition to aiding with tactical support, such as giving Ukraine the location of a Russian warship that sank after reportedly being hit by Ukrainian missiles.

All that in addition to other western nations like Germany supporting Ukraine in similar ways. including giving them 1,000 anti-tank weapons and anti-aircraft defense weapons.

You say Ukraine's position is "unrealistic"; this is not a purely one-on-one fight anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:08
    @athousandyoung said
    It might take a decade or two for the Russians to get tired of the constant drain on their resources and leave in the same sort of way both the USSR and USA left Afghanistan to the Taliban. Possibly the Russian government will collapse before then like it did in the middle of WW1 (edit or like it did in the 90's)
    What will be left of the Ukraine in a "decade or two" of war at this present level?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:11
    @no1marauder said
    What will be left of the Ukraine in a "decade or two" of war at this present level?
    The land isn’t going anywhere.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:14
    @athousandyoung said
    As far as militarily driving the Russians out of the Black Sea...well Ukraine might actually pull that off. They've already sunk several Russian ships including their flagship cruiser Moskva. A cruiser is not a small ship.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-flagship-black-sea-fleet-badly-damaged-by-blast-2022-04-14/

If Russia loses its Black Sea f ...[text shortened]... the war?

[youtube New Jersey museum guy analyzes Moskva sinking 18 minutes]AWwZVwCrgsQ[/youtube]
    That's not how the UN sees it:

"Moscow's comments followed an appeal by the United Nations food chief to Vladimir Putin that millions would die around the world because of the Russian blockade."

"Earlier, United Nations food chief David Beasley appealed directly to the Russian president.

"If you have any heart at all for the rest of the world, regardless of how you feel about Ukraine, you need to open up those ports," he said.

The United Nations is calling on Russia to ensure food supplies get to where they are most needed.

“There is no effective solution to the food crisis without reintegrating Ukraine’s food production, as well as the food and fertilizer produced by Russia and Belarus, into world markets -- despite the war,” said António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations.

“Russia must permit the safe and secure export of grain stored in Ukrainian ports.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/19/russia-says-easing-ukraine-black-sea-ports-blockade-dependent-on-sanctions-review

This is another byproduct of continuation of the war.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:17
    @athousandyoung said

That is unlikely, but it would be more likely IF the Ukraine negotiated a reasonable settlement now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree