Sweden's Changing Course?

Sweden's Changing Course?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Jun 20

@joe-shmo said
People like yourself. They envision “One World” with laser like focus...total homogeneity; a world ripe for total exploitation and domination. First they need to establish a control system, that’s what this is about... It has nothing to do with the completely normal number of humans dying from disease and old age. This disease in terms of population change is like shooting ...[text shortened]... ain. The population is too large and the “globalist” know it, they certainly don’t wish to quell it.
Really? I "stop at no cost to damage Sweden's reputation"? Sweden's great, I wouldn't hesitate moving there if they offered me tenure.

I recommend seeking treatment for your rather creepy paranoid delusions.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Jun 20

@joe-shmo said
People like yourself. They envision “One World” with laser like focus...total homogeneity; a world ripe for total exploitation and domination. First they need to establish a control system, that’s what this is about... It has nothing to do with the completely normal number of humans dying from disease and old age. This disease in terms of population change is like shooting ...[text shortened]... ain. The population is too large and the “globalist” know it, they certainly don’t wish to quell it.
I recommend Olanzapine although the adverse effects can be somewhat severe.

Planet Rain

Moves
27 Jun 20

@joe-shmo said
This is tinfoil hat stuff. Like, the kind of stuff you'd hear someone shouting at the top of his lungs on a city street corner as passersby skirt past with their eyes averted in embarrassment.

j

Moves
07 Jul 20

@torunn said
@Duchess64

From what I understand, Sweden has not done enough to protect people (patients and staff) in care homes - that's where most people die of corona. Still, I don't know of any people - friends and acquaintances - who don't stand by Anders Tegnell's strategy.
I note with interest that though cases are still rather high the death rate is dropping rapidly. Interesting yes?
I am one that hates all the fear being generated by this. well and truly over it.
Despite the commentary I am still unconvinced that Sweden has done as bad as some suggest, using the data.
Saying that, I believe that, Like every country, they have made mistakes. Once again, saying that, I do not believe that not locking down, was one of them.

D

Moves
07 Jul 20

j

Moves
07 Jul 20

@soothfast said
This is tinfoil hat stuff. Like, the kind of stuff you'd hear someone shouting at the top of his lungs on a city street corner as passersby skirt past with their eyes averted in embarrassment.
without taking sides, can you explain to me why, in the last couple of years, the planet is being taken over by crazies. Minority this minority that, victim here, victim there, praise the victim.
Political correctness has gone bonkers and all we seem to be doing is looking for someone to be offended on behalf of.
I am so p*ssed of with the nutters demanding that we must listen to them.
Please tell me why this has escalated so much???
One rational could be a grand plan to destabilize capitalism and or the west.

j

Moves
07 Jul 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
And? what has this to do with what I said.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Jul 20

@jimmac said
I note with interest that though cases are still rather high the death rate is dropping rapidly. Interesting yes?
I am one that hates all the fear being generated by this. well and truly over it.
Despite the commentary I am still unconvinced that Sweden has done as bad as some suggest, using the data.
Saying that, I believe that, Like every country, they have made mistakes. Once again, saying that, I do not believe that not locking down, was one of them.
Sweden has 538 deaths per capita from coronavirus. The next largest number of deaths among Scandinavian countries is Denmark with 105 deaths per capita [1]. Sweden has not done well. Locking down hard and early is the best course of action, after two months the lock down can end. This is what the countries with low fatality rates did.

In general, regarding your first sentence, there's a lot more testing now, so cases are being detected that were not earlier on in the pandemic. This means that a greater fraction of those infected are being detected. It's hard to know what this means for severe cases and fatalities. Also, we have a number of RCT proven treatments which were not available early on in the pandemic which should reduce mortality by about 1/3. So, even if the number of new cases in the US means the same as it did in the early part of the pandemic, which it doesn't, then the number of resulting fatalities will be lower.

[1] https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
07 Jul 20

@deepthought said
Sweden has 538 deaths per capita from coronavirus. The next largest number of deaths among Scandinavian countries is Denmark with 105 deaths per capita [1]. Sweden has not done well. Locking down hard and early is the best course of action, after two months the lock down can end. This is what the countries with low fatality rates did.

In general, regarding your fir ...[text shortened]... r of resulting fatalities will be lower.

Sweden seems to be going days without reporting anything.

D

Moves
07 Jul 20

D

Moves
07 Jul 20

j

Moves
07 Jul 20

@deepthought said

In general, regarding your fir ...[text shortened]... r of resulting fatalities will be lower.

While I have always stated that border controls were vital, But felt local lockdowns were not. I know time may prove me wrong.
Australia locked down, some will say not enough, and are now re-opening, some will say too soon, and low and behold, a 2nd? wave. oh no the world is ending, if you believe the news that keeps getting rammed down our throats.
I say Fear of dying = fear of living.
And yes I am aware that treatments are getting better.
I am sorry if I seem callous but I am seeing, in my family, lockdown pain, yet I do not know anyone, personally, that knows anyone with the virus,

j

Moves
07 Jul 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Strange, I did not get that at all from her post. in fact she stated the opposite.
a quote from her post below,
" From what I understand, Sweden has not done enough to protect people (patients and staff) in care homes "

Australia

Moves
07 Jul 20

@jimmac said
While I have always stated that border controls were vital, But felt local lockdowns were not. I know time may prove me wrong.
Australia locked down, some will say not enough, and are now re-opening, some will say too soon, and low and behold, a 2nd? wave. oh no the world is ending, if you believe the news that keeps getting rammed down our throats.
I say Fear of dying = f ...[text shortened]... in my family, lockdown pain, yet I do not know anyone, personally, that knows anyone with the virus,
Australia locked down early and hard and the results show it. As a country we have 4 deaths per million population which puts us around #132 on the Worldometers list. Reopening is going along just fine without problems.
There were 2 places where bad things have happened. The first was in Sydney when an infected cruise ship was allowed to offload passengers straight into the community without testing. That happened in February and the effects washed through the system quite quickly because of the lockdown.
The second is the current problem. Our State authority chose to use a private security company to control hotel quarantine, rather than competent professionals such as police, medical staff and the military. Our quarantine hotels quickly became big social groups with guards paying for sex parties and heaven knows what else. Then those guards went home to their families and their local gathering places. Genome sequencing has placed that activity precisely on the current outbreak in our state of Victoria.
In short, we did almost everything right, but it only takes a small slip to set this demon loose.

I would rather listening to people complaining about their loss of freedom to do what they like, or to have a job, than people who have lost a family member because some thoughtless person chose to play the odds with other people's lives.

D

Moves
07 Jul 20