1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 May '21 11:32
    @athousandyoung said
    There are still plenty of Gaels in Ireland. Italy is not currently dominated by Brennus’ Senones, Moors, Normans or Visigoths. In Mexico the Spanish interbred with the indigenous people and the country currently has a mixed mestizo majority.
    Well thats my point they are mixed heritage, there are very few mono ethnic areas of Europe or the Americas for that matter. There has been far too much cross border migration and invasion over the millennia in Europe from at least the Bronze Age and to at least WWII. The European invasion of the North and South American continent’s was catastrophic for the indigenous populations and cultures.
    If by Gael’s your referring to those who identify with Gaelic culture then it’s a slightly different category to indigenous.
    Given the relative isolation of the americas until the European invasion the decimation of its indigenous peoples and cultures happened quickly enough to be seen in real time.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 May '21 23:487 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well thats my point they are mixed heritage, there are very few mono ethnic areas of Europe or the Americas for that matter. There has been far too much cross border migration and invasion over the millennia in Europe from at least the Bronze Age and to at least WWII. The European invasion of the North and South American continent’s was catastrophic for the indigenous popul ...[text shortened]... e decimation of its indigenous peoples and cultures happened quickly enough to be seen in real time.
    Mixed ancestry does not take away a person's heritage! I'm sure the Welsh have plenty of English blood in them and vice versa.

Indigenous Irish are those with Gaelic culture. These are not different categories.

https://aisdc.org/news%2Fblog/f/tribes-in-ireland-culture-of-irelands-first-people

After briefly talking about the first people and inhabited sites of Ireland, we will talk about the indigenous culture of Ireland, the Celtic Tribes.

The European invasion of the North and South American continent’s was catastrophic for the indigenous populations and cultures.

The Spanish invasions were temporarily catastrophic but by mixing bloodlines to improve genetic resistance to Old World diseases combined with the improved nutrition provided by adding wheat, beef, pork, chicken, rice, Asian spices etc which the Spanish brought eventually brought those population numbers back up.

Now the ANGLO invasions were accompanied by mass slaughter and replacement of the indigenous people but the Spanish ones were characterized by conquest and dominance, not extermination like what happened in the USA. This is why uncontrollable numbers of brown people are constantly pressing on the southern border of the USA while the indigenous people FROM the land now called the USA have been nearly wiped out and are demographically insignificant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_Mexico#:~:text=At%20the%20time%20of%20Spanish,again%20over%20500%20years%20later.

At the time of Spanish conquest in the late 15th century, the indigenous population of Mexico has been estimated at about 25 million, and has therefore only reached this figure again over 500 years later.[8] These modern figures however are language based, making numbers under reported, as it discounts Indigenous people who can only speak Spanish. Due to the extreme success of "mestizaje" nationalism in the post-revolutionary period in the early 20th century, the major period of political consolidation in Mexico, Indigenous people often report themselves as mestizo
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 May '21 08:57
    @shallow-blue said
    Oh, come on! Scotland is an indigenous problem! The Scots hate the Picts hate the ex-Irish hate all the other Scots... there's no getting around all the indigenous groups found in Scotland. And they all hate each other even more than they hate the Sassenach.
    Huh?
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '21 11:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Note how the racist, dishonest, self-absorbed nobody calling itself by the presumed noble title of "Duchess" intentionally interprets my post in exactly the opposite way in which any sane person would realise that I meant it.

How pathetic.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '21 11:48
    @kevcvs57 said
    I think you know that Caucasian is not meant in this context to refer to someone who lives in the Caucus region of Europe and I fail to see what is racist about it.
    That's exactly why it's racist.

"Caucasian", as a racist term for "white person", originates from the very same theory that lumps all black-skinned people together as "Ethiopic" and inferior, and all yellow-skinned people as "Mongoloid" and inferior but intriguing.

Please do not draw me down to that level by calling me "Caucasian".
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 May '21 12:47
    @athousandyoung said
    Mixed ancestry does not take away a person's heritage! I'm sure the Welsh have plenty of English blood in them and vice versa.

Indigenous Irish are those with Gaelic culture. These are not different categories.

https://aisdc.org/news%2Fblog/f/tribes-in-ireland-culture-of-irelands-first-people

After briefly talking about the first people and inhabited s ...[text shortened]... of political consolidation in Mexico, Indigenous people often report themselves as mestizo
    “ The Spanish invasions were temporarily catastrophic but by mixing bloodlines to improve genetic resistance to Old World diseases combined with the improved nutrition provided by adding wheat, beef, pork, chicken, rice, Asian spices etc which the Spanish brought eventually brought those population numbers back up. ”
    Oh well that’s ok then the Spanish invasion of the americas was a good thing for the indigenous population and culture is the same as ethnicity and genetic heritage 😉
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 May '21 23:591 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    “ The Spanish invasions were temporarily catastrophic but by mixing bloodlines to improve genetic resistance to Old World diseases combined with the improved nutrition provided by adding wheat, beef, pork, chicken, rice, Asian spices etc which the Spanish brought eventually brought those population numbers back up. ”
    Oh well that’s ok then the Spanish invasion of the americ ...[text shortened]... good thing for the indigenous population and culture is the same as ethnicity and genetic heritage 😉
    Oh well that’s ok then the Spanish invasion of the americas was a good thing for the indigenous population

I didn't say that!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethnicity&oq=ethnicity&aqs=edge..69i57j0i433j69i61j0i433l3j0.1471j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

eth·nic·i·ty
    /eTHˈnisədē/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 May '21 00:541 edit
    @shavixmir said
    Scotland.
    The Scots invaded and conquered Caledonia at the same time the Anglos conquered Britain. Scots came from Ireland.

Are there any Picts left?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 May '21 04:12
    @liljo said
    Now now, children, settle down.

I've noted that flaming accusations of racism at other people has never--not even once--not EVER helped, but has more than made up for its failures by successfully stoking the flames of hatred.

Mankind has been hurtful towards mankind for all of mankind's history. The "haves" defend their right to "keep" by convincing themselves they are i ...[text shortened]... their lack of attainment by convincing themselves the "haves" are to blame.

And the beat goes on.
    I agree that it is best to never dwell on pejorative labels.

Every conversation goes better when we just discuss the ideas and facts and ignore emotions surrounding them.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 May '21 13:291 edit
    @athousandyoung said
    The Scots invaded and conquered Caledonia at the same time the Anglos conquered Britain. Scots came from Ireland.

There will be in the genetic sense obviously but no coherent or identifiable culture or concentration of people claiming Pictish heritage as far as I know. What’s your point, are there any Aztecs left?
    The Angles and Saxons didn’t conquer Britain they invaded and heavily settled most of what we now call England. Wales and Scotland were largely unaffected by the invasion.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 May '21 16:422 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    There will be in the genetic sense obviously but no coherent or identifiable culture or concentration of people claiming Pictish heritage as far as I know. What’s your point, are there any Aztecs left?
    The Angles and Saxons didn’t conquer Britain they invaded and heavily settled most of what we now call England. Wales and Scotland were largely unaffected by the invasion.
    Yes there are Aztecs left. First of all, there are the mestizos, who are quite distinct from the white Hispanics. In addition, there are still Nahua people who have not been Hispanicized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuas#Stage_three_(c._1650%E2%80%931821)_Late_colonial_period_to_independence

The largest concentrations of Nahuatl speakers are found in the states of Puebla, Veracruz, Hidalgo, San Luis Potosí, and Guerrero. Significant populations are also found in México State, Morelos, and the Mexican Federal District, with smaller communities in Michoacán and Durango.

https://www.borderreport.com/hot-topics/border-crime/aztecas-drug-gang-unleashes-attacks-on-police-after-leaders-capture/
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 May '21 16:464 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    What we now call England used to be called Britain. Caledonia was a separate region "invaded and heavily settled" (i.e. conquered) by the Scots coming in from Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoti

Scoti or Scotti is a Latin name for the Gaels,[1] first attested in the late 3rd century. At first it referred to all Gaels, whether in Ireland or Great Britain, but later it came to refer only to Gaels in northern Britain.[1] The kingdom to which their culture spread became known as Scotia or Scotland, and eventually all its inhabitants came to be known as Scots.

An early use of the word can be found in the Nomina Provinciarum Omnium (Names of All the Provinces), which dates to about AD 312. This is a short list of the names and provinces of the Roman Empire. At the end of this list is a brief list of tribes deemed to be a growing threat to the Empire, which included the Scoti, as a new term for the Irish.[2] There is also a reference to the word in St Prosper's chronicle of AD 431 where he describes Pope Celestine sending St Palladius to Ireland to preach "ad Scotti in Christum" ("to the Scots who believed in Christ" ).[3]

Thereafter, periodic raids by Scoti are reported by several later 4th and early 5th century Latin writers, namely Pacatus,[4] Ammianus Marcellinus,[5] Claudian[6] and the Chronica Gallica of 452.[7] Two references to Scoti have recently been identified in Greek literature (as Σκόττοι ), in the works of Epiphanius, Bishop of Salamis, writing in the 370s.[8] The fragmentary evidence suggests an intensification of Scoti raiding from the early 360s, culminating in the so-called "barbarian conspiracy" of 367–368, and continuing up to and beyond the end of Roman rule c. 410. The location and frequency of attacks by Scoti remain unclear, as do the origin and identity of the Gaelic population-groups who participated in these raids.[9]

By the 5th century, the Gaelic or Scottish kingdom of Dál Riata had emerged in the area of modern Scotland that is now Argyll. Although this kingdom was destroyed and subjugated by the Pictish kingdom of the 8th century under Angus I, the convergence of Pictish and Gaelic languages over several centuries resulted in the English labelling Pictland under Constantine II as Scottish in the early 10th century, first attested in AD 920, viewing the Picts as speaking a Gaelic tongue.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    04 May '21 16:13
    @athousandyoung said
    What we now call England used to be called Britain. Caledonia was a separate region "invaded and heavily settled" (i.e. conquered) by the Scots coming in from Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoti

Scoti or Scotti is a Latin name for the Gaels,[1] first attested in the late 3rd century. At first it referred to all Gaels, whether in Ireland or Great ...[text shortened]... early 10th century, first attested in AD 920, viewing the Picts as speaking a Gaelic tongue.
    You surely do talk some nonsense but hey take strip to wales and tell them they are English.
    The Scotti invaded the west coast and western isles of northern Britain, Pictish culture and people continued in the east.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 May '21 23:419 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    You surely do talk some nonsense but hey take strip to wales and tell them they are English.
    The Scotti invaded the west coast and western isles of northern Britain, Pictish culture and people continued in the east.
    I never said the Welsh were English. They are indigenous Britons, closely related to the Bretons in northwest France (these are Britons who, some under orders from Roman general Magnus Maximus and some independently, fled the Anglo Saxon invasion and occupied what is now northwest France, the Armorica peninsula which was the ancestral home of the Veneti. A few ended up in northern Spain as well)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armorica#/media/File:Britonia6hcentury.png

I suppose the Scots and Picts merged, both being Celtic peoples. In that case the Scots would be indigenous to Scotland as there is no Pictish analogy to Wales. There is no country or population I know of that considers itself Pictish or demonstrates Pictish culture independent of the Scots.

"Pictish culture continued in the east"? So where are those people now? They've merged with the Scots apparently.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 May '21 12:00
    @athousandyoung said

They shagged themselves into dilution.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree