1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Oct '21 16:091 edit
    @eladar said
    They have already gotten sick with covid and likely will not get sick again.

Besides you know vaccinated people get sick.
    ===They have already gotten sick with covid and likely will not get sick again.===

Not sure whom you're referring to, but none of my kids have ever gotten COVID (that we know of, anyway).

Yes, vaccinated people can get COVID, but it's less likely and if they get it, it's likely to be less severe and of shorter duration.

Like the flu shot (though more effective).
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 12:061 edit
    @sh76 said
    ===They have already gotten sick with covid and likely will not get sick again.===

Not sure whom you're referring to, but none of my kids have ever gotten COVID (that we know of, anyway).

Yes, vaccinated people can get COVID, but it's less likely and if they get it, it's likely to be less severe and of shorter duration.

Like the flu shot (though more effective).
    The group I was referring to in my original question. Kids who have already had covid, why suggest they get a shot?

A healthy person getting sick and surviving covid provides better covid protection than shots. The body has better b memory for the immune system.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 12:42
    @eladar said
    The group I was referring to in my original question. Kids who have already had covid, why suggest they get a shot?

A healthy person getting sick and surviving covid provides better covid protection than shots. The body has better b memory for the immune system.
    I never said children who were previously infected should get vaccinated. That's a close call. One Pfizer shot seems like a good way to have your cake and eat it too (high immunity and low myocarditis risk), but I will never argue that recently infected children should be force-vaxxed.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 15:12
    @sh76 said
    I never said children who were previously infected should get vaccinated. That's a close call. One Pfizer shot seems like a good way to have your cake and eat it too (high immunity and low myocarditis risk), but I will never argue that recently infected children should be force-vaxxed.
    Memory b cells last forever. That is why if you get chickenpox you do not get it again. Yes I know about shingles, but that is not chickenpox.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 18:14
    @eladar said
    Memory b cells last forever. That is why if you get chickenpox you do not get it again. Yes I know about shingles, but that is not chickenpox.
    And yet most people get the flu many times in a lifetime. Not all viruses are alike. Some illnesses, like Measels, get you lifetime immunity. Many do not.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 18:35
    @sh76 said
    And yet most people get the flu many times in a lifetime. Not all viruses are alike. Some illnesses, like Measels, get you lifetime immunity. Many do not.
    Totally different flu viruses. Do you know how many flu viruses there are?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 19:23
    @eladar said
    Totally different flu viruses. Do you know how many flu viruses there are?
    Four; 2 of which are responsible for most flus.

And you can catch any of them twice.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '21 23:14
    @sh76 said
    Four; 2 of which are responsible for most flus.

And you can catch any of them twice.
    No, there are actually many more. There are 4 categories they fall under. From link

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are four types of flu viruses: influenza A, B, C, and D. The seasonal flu viruses that humans face every winter season in the United States are caused by human influenza A. Influenza A viruses are categorized as either the hemagglutinin subtype or the neuraminidase subtype based on the proteins involved, and there are 18 distinct subtypes of hemagglutinin and 11 distinct subtypes of neuraminidase. Influenza A is the primary cause of flu epidemics, and they constantly change and are difficult to predict.

https://www.uabmedicine.org/-/flu-strains-explained-and-how-the-vaccine-works

If you get sick with the flu again, you caught a different strain than last time.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Oct '21 00:04
    @eladar said
    No, there are actually many more. There are 4 categories they fall under. From link

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are four types of flu viruses: influenza A, B, C, and D. The seasonal flu viruses that humans face every winter season in the United States are caused by human influenza A. Influenza A viruses are categorized as eithe ...[text shortened]... vaccine-works

If you get sick with the flu again, you caught a different strain than last time.
    Even if that were true (which it's not necessarily), there are also different strains of COVID.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '21 01:071 edit
    @sh76 said
    Even if that were true (which it's not necessarily), there are also different strains of COVID.
    If you recover from covid after being sick, then your b component of your immune system evolves for 3 months to be able to deal with the variants.

Face it, I have never gotten a flu shot, in the past 35 years, I have had the flu 3 or 4 times.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '21 10:56
    Oh wait, you are of the opinion that unless you get a flu shot you will get sick, which is why you religiously get your flu shot.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '21 15:27
    @Eladar
    How about the INCREDIBLE leap of logic that would follow where you take the flu shot to NOT get the flu.

Who would have known?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Oct '21 15:48
    @eladar said
    Oh wait, you are of the opinion that unless you get a flu shot you will get sick, which is why you religiously get your flu shot.
    Come on, dude. You're a math guy, aren't you?

What did I ever say that would imply that?

Of course it's true that unless you get a flu shot, it is MORE LIKELY that you will get sick than if you get the flu shot. But of course not getting the flu shot doesn't in any way guarantee that you will get sick.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '21 00:19
    @sh76 said
    Come on, dude. You're a math guy, aren't you?

What did I ever say that would imply that?

Of course it's true that unless you get a flu shot, it is MORE LIKELY that you will get sick than if you get the flu shot. But of course not getting the flu shot doesn't in any way guarantee that you will get sick.
    I am just saying that one can get by just fine without a flu shot. A vast majority of kids will do just fine without a shot.

You rely too much on man made stuff, natural is just as good or better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree