1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 01:10
    Officials in Hong Kong as well as in Britain, Norway and other countries have recommended a single dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children ages 12 and older — providing partial protection from the virus, but without the potential harms occasionally observed after two doses. On Wednesday, Sweden and Denmark joined the ranks, announcing that adolescents should get only one jab of the Moderna vaccine.

Health officials in those countries are particularly worried about increasing data suggesting that myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, may be more common among adolescents and young adults after vaccination than had been thought.

The chance of getting severe Covid in a healthy 12- to 15-year-old is almost negligible,” Dr. Brown said. “Against that, you have to make sure that the vaccine that you’re giving is utterly safe.”

Some experts have argued that immunizing children would help to sever chains of transmission and contain the virus. But immunizing children to protect others — when there may be a risk to the recipient, however small — was indefensible, Dr. Brown said.

“You don’t vaccinate a 15-year-old to prevent them infecting other adults — that’s not morally, ethically the right thing to do,” he said.

Does anyone here still think it's irrational to hesitate about a second dose for a young, healthy person?

Put another way, does anyone think that requiring 2 doses for young people to access public venues is rational?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 01:161 edit
    BTW @wildgrass, since you asked, this is an issue I've changed my mind on based on being open to and consuming new information. I had my 16 yo get 2 doses in May. I had my 14 yo get 2 doses in June/July.

My 12 yo son got his first dose on July 19 (he turned 12 on Jul 15). I had every intention of having him get a second dose 3 weeks later. I hesitated when I started hearing whisperings about myocarditis in young boys, but I still figured I'd have him get his second dose. Based on the evidence that's come to light in the last several weeks, I have put his second dose on hold indefinitely. I imagine that a second dose after ~6 months (when the effectiveness of the Pfizer vax seems to wane) might still be a good idea. We'll see.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 13:36
    @sh76 said
    [quote]Officials in Hong Kong as well as in Britain, Norway and other countries have recommended a single dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children ages 12 and older — providing partial protection from the virus, but without the potential harms occasionally observed after two doses. On Wednesday, Sweden and Denmark joined the ranks, announcing that adolescents should get ...[text shortened]... way, does anyone think that requiring 2 doses for young people to access public venues is rational?
    "Put another way, does anyone think that requiring 2 doses for young people to access public venues is rational?"

Even one dose is not rational. Children are more likely to die from the flu than covid.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/09/fact-check-is-flu-harder-on-kids-than-covid-19/113718780/
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 15:301 edit
    More evidence of real myocarditis risk in boys, especially after the second dose.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/94892

The issue is fading away from a toss-up; 2 doses for healthy boys is looking more and more like the clearly wrong choice.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 15:32
    @metal-brain said
    "Put another way, does anyone think that requiring 2 doses for young people to access public venues is rational?"

Even one dose is not rational. Children are more likely to die from the flu than covid.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/09/fact-check-is-flu-harder-on-kids-than-covid-19/113718780/
    ===Children are more likely to die from the flu than covid.===

That's a silly argument in light of the fact that we give children the flu shot.
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '21 19:12
    @sh76 said

That's a silly argument in light of the fact that we give children the flu shot.
    not silly at all…flu vaccines have a track record
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Oct '21 21:42
    @mott-the-hoople said
    not silly at all…flu vaccines have a track record
    So do COVID vaccines. A billion shots must have been delivered by now.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '21 23:05
    @sh76 said
    OK, describe the long term affects?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 03:26
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    So you can't do the same research anyone can do on the net? You ever hear of GOOGLE?

Try it sometime, maybe, just maybe, you might learn something like maybe Trump is not what you think he is.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 12:06
    @sonhouse said
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    So you can't do the same research anyone can do on the net? You ever hear of GOOGLE?

Try it sometime, maybe, just maybe, you might learn something like maybe Trump is not what you think he is.
    how do you research what is not there?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 00:50
    @mott-the-hoople said
    OK, describe the long term affects?
    In all previous vaccines, ever, adverse effects happen, if at all, in the first 8 weeks after the vaccine.

There is no reason to believe this one will be different.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 01:16
    @sh76 said

We don't give children the flu shot. You do.

13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 01:21
    @sh76 said
    In all previous vaccines, ever, adverse effects happen, if at all, in the first 8 weeks after the vaccine.

This is different because according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you’re not counted as fully vaccinated until a full 14 days have passed since your second injection in the case of Pfizer or Moderna, or 14 days after your first dose of Janssen, despite the fact that over 80% of deaths after the vaccines occur in this window.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/cdc-now-lists-vaccinated-deaths-unvaccinated/5755873

That is blatant data manipulation. It should be condemned, not condoned.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 01:253 edits
    @sh76 said

I take it you cant provide long term effects

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114674/
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '21 03:071 edit
    @sh76 said
    That means nothing.

A 15-year-old boy in Sonoma County, California, died two days after getting his second dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, with “no other significant conditions contributing” to his death, a county death report has confirmed.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/california-teenager-died-of-heart-condition-two-days-after-covid-vaccine-death-report/

That 15 year-old boy's death is counted as unvaccinated even though he was given the vaccine. Most vaccine caused deaths are not counted as such. Isn't that a serious problem?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree