1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    14 May '22 16:35
    @metal-brain said
    I'm pretty sure that ship[ sailed when Turkey became a NATO member and allowed the USA to put nukes there and started the Turk Missile Crisis, I mean the Cuban Missile Crisis. We are supposed to think the USSR and Cuba started it.
    So, are you trying to dictate to Erdogen(Turkey) to think like you? They are into it up to their eyeballs and know a lot more about it than you (or I)
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 May '22 21:07
    @Metal-Brain
    My guess is Erdogan is waiting for a big BIG payday to his personal account....
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 02:13
    @kevcvs57 said
    Do you ever read the posts on here, how many times have I posted that Russias ‘ Ukraine is joining NATO so we have to invade’ BS is BS because everyone knows that Ukraine would never get the unanimous 30 votes required to join.
    No. Everybody does not know that.
    What is your source of information?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 02:24
    @kevcvs57 said
    Hahaha just read the link, one of the reasons Erdogan is giving for not allowing them to join is that they host terrorists and even let them join their parliament’s 🙄
    The link also mentions some membership rules that would allow NATO to disbar Turkey if it wanted to but I guess it’s a bit to strategically placed for that.
    A host, probably the majority, of NATO members coul ...[text shortened]... ilateral mutual defence pacts with the two countries which might amount to virtually the same thing.
    I read that and agree it sounds strange. All the more reason I think he wants something in return for allowing Finland to join NATO. It sounds like he is making up BS excuses until he is offered something in return. Notice he is not being up front and direct in saying he will vote against Finland being accepted into NATO. He is trying to be subtle. Hungary not so much.

Perhaps France wanted something in return for a UN vote authorizing war with Iraq and didn't get it so they used their UN veto power. Have you ever thought about that? I suspect this quid pro quo type of thing goes on more often than the corporate news media wants us to know.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 02:29
    @no1marauder said
    That's as relevant to current conditions as the Turks joining WWI against Russia.

A reasonable guess would be that such an announcement is meant to dissuade Sweden and Finland from requesting NATO membership for fear it would exacerbate present tensions (which it surely will).
    Turkey has no need to dissuade anything. If Turkey doesn't want Finland to join NATO they cannot join. Note the title to this thread. If Turkey wanted to dissuade Sweden and Finland from requesting NATO membership for fear it would exacerbate present tensions why not openly say that is the reason? Why the subterfuge?
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 02:33
    @shallow-blue said
    Oh, come off it.

Turkey had been a welcome member of NATO for decades - until they elected Erdogan, who has, since gaining power, turned ever more autocratic, ever more islamist, ever more a murderer of journalists and jailer of political opponents ("dissidents", in your lingo), and ever less a friend of the West and more one of Putin, whom he greatly admires.

Now, Turkey is a member of NATO in name only. It's time for it to leave.
    They don't want to leave. That does bring up an interesting question though. Can NATO membership be revoked?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 May '22 02:382 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Turkey has no need to dissuade anything. If Turkey doesn't want Finland to join NATO they cannot join. Note the title to this thread. If Turkey wanted to dissuade Sweden and Finland from requesting NATO membership for fear it would exacerbate present tensions why not openly say that is the reason? Why the subterfuge?
    Turkey can't stop anyone from requesting NATO membership. And there are a number of steps which must be taken before any vote is taken. See "Accession Process" https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_49212.htm

What "subterfuge"? They've been open in saying they prefer if Finland and Sweden don't request membership at this time.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 03:05
    @no1marauder said
    Turkey can't stop anyone from requesting NATO membership. And there are a number of steps which must be taken before any vote is taken. See "Accession Process" https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_49212.htm

What "subterfuge"? They've been open in saying they prefer if Finland and Sweden don't request membership at this time.
    I never said they could stop anyone from requesting NATO membership. I said any NATO member can prevent anyone from being accepted as a NATO member and Turkey is a NATO member.

Why the allegations of terrorism and crap like that I have never heard of? Is there truth to those allegations? That "subterfuge". Did Finland allege Turkey was involved in terrorism and Erdogan is trying to get even by alleging the same of the accuser?

I suspect a quid pro quo because that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Can you make sense of it?
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:09
    @metal-brain said
    No. Everybody does not know that.
    What is your source of information?
    Sorry I meant everyone who is not an actual halfwit my source is countless sources you’ll have to Google it I’m not wasting my time researching for a troll.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:21
    @metal-brain said
    They don't want to leave. That does bring up an interesting question though. Can NATO membership be revoked?
    Yes of course it can, they have a charter so if you egregiously step outside of the charter you can be turfed out but no one will want Turkey to leave given its strategic position. Turkey joined nato for the same reason 90% of its members joined, to get a place under the biggest conventional and arguably nuclear umbrella on the planet mainly because they have grown up in a very violent neighbourhood.
    The only reason that they have been less than keen to ‘antagonise’ Russia is because like Orban of Hungary Erdogan of Turkey sees a fellow authoritarian in Putin, this is a guy who imprisons people for tweeting critiques of him, but as nations they will always be potential protagonists.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:351 edit
    @no1marauder said
    I'm perfectly aware that Euros have spread death and misery worldwide for the last few thousand years at least.

I just find it amusing that you give the same old imperialist explanations for how Russia and Turkey are now acting while choosing to believe that the motives of powerful Western nations (well, except the US) are as pure as the driven snow when they attack ot ...[text shortened]... rums for war in service to another one - to defend a country not even in it. It's ironically stupid.
    Well if you are perfectly aware of it why are you in favour of giving Putin carte blanch to do exactly that in Central and Eastern Europe?
    What I find amusing is rational people trying to advocate for Putin whilst trying to retain a semblance of rationality.
    Putin needs to be stopped, and he needs to be stopped in Ukraine
    I’ll let you into a well known fact concerning reality, ‘you cannot change the past, you can only learn from it’.
    You do not seem to have that ability which is a shame
    If, like me, you do not like the way NATO under it’s US leadership has behaved in the past YOU will need to elect leaders who do not think it’s a good idea to invade countries for geopolitical reasons and avarice. But do not kid yourself that the US would have acted any differently if NATO had never existed. NATO does not have political control over those vast military resources, that power is held within the body politic of its individual constituent states.
    In short NATO is not your boogeyman, you are!
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:361 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Sorry I meant everyone who is not an actual halfwit my source is countless sources you’ll have to Google it I’m not wasting my time researching for a troll.
    If you didn't do the research how could you possibly know?
    Stop lying. Ukraine aspiring to be a NATO member is a major reason Russia invaded.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:43
    @metal-brain said
    I you didn't do the research how could you possibly know?
    Stop lying.
    Stop lying and stop being stupid.
    You don’t have to research it the proof is that even though Ukraine requested membership it did not get it you retard, even though they requested it they are not even candidates for membership. Unlike you Putin is not stupid he knew this and that’s why he attacked Ukraine BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT NATO MEMBERS.
    Finland and Sweden have figured it out and that’s why they are joining NATO!
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 10:54
    @kevcvs57 said
    You don’t have to research it the proof is that even though Ukraine requested membership it did not get it you retard, even though they requested it they are not even candidates for membership. Unlike you Putin is not stupid he knew this and that’s why he attacked Ukraine BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT NATO MEMBERS.
    Getting accepted as a NATO member takes years. Over 20 years in some cases. Nobody has closed the door on Ukraine becoming a NATO member, but most experts say that is unlikely. Being at war doesn't help.

You are the retard. You know nothing about NATO and all you do is bluff with lies. Don't you get tired of humiliating yourself?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 11:02
    @kevcvs57 said
    Russia’s strategy has been to foment conflicts in countries that might join NATO to make that process more difficult, like what is happening in Ukraine right now.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article258774458.html#storylink=cpy

If anything, Finland and Sweden are doing the exact opposite thing they should. They are increasing the odds of Russia invading them before they are accepted as members. Russia knows if they invade NATO is very unlikely to accept them as members. If NATO did, every nation at war would be applying and what NATO member would want that to become a trend?

You have it backwards, son.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree