legalised robbery, by the brazilian government.

legalised robbery, by the brazilian government.

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 May 09

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8030223.stm

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

The non-indigenous rice farmers and farm workers say they are victims of "legalised robbery".

The decision was hailed as a major victory for indigenous rights, and was also regarded as setting an important precedent for future court cases.

However, the ruling was also a defeat for the non-indigenous rice producers and farm workers who lived and worked in the area, and who said their removal would undermine the economy of Roraima.

As this sensitive operation was getting underway, the governor of Roraima, Jose de Anchieta Jr, was accused of racism by the state agency which looks after indigenous rights.

The governor said the federal government had not provided sufficient resources for the local indigenous population to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."

F

Moves
02 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

T ...[text shortened]... to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."
"Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron.

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
not to the brazilian federal justice.

F

Moves
02 May 09

not to the brazilian federal justice.
"Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron to everyone in whatever situation, as long as those two words are used as a collocation.

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
"Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron to everyone in whatever situation, as long as those two words are used as a collocation.
well, thats what they're doing.

they're moving people out of their houses.

F

Moves
02 May 09

well, thats what they're doing.

they're moving people out of their houses.
You are sure that this is not a posting about what Israelii do to the Palestinians?
I'm not sure that this is true but I've heard that in the Hebrew language there are 17 different words with this meaning, and 93 word for Palestinian, all pejoratives.

B

Moves
02 May 09

T ...[text shortened]... to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."
I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You are sure that this is not a posting about what Israelii do to the Palestinians?
I'm not sure that this is true but I've heard that in the Hebrew language there are 17 different words with this meaning, and 93 word for Palestinian, all pejoratives.
The issue in Brazil is totally different, but then again, it doesn't surprise that you're ignorant about the subject discussed.

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Barts
I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?

There shouldn't be areas reserved for a certain ethinic group.
Some families living there were there for generations.

F

Moves
03 May 09

Some families living there were there for generations.
I haven't heard you complaining about indigenous people being seemingly consigned to shanty towns and slums on the outskirts of Brazillian cities. Some indigenous families have been living there were there for generations.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 May 09

[b]I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?

Some families living there were there for generations.[/b]
There were people living in all of Brazil for generations before those peoples' ancestors moved in.

I've always been highly suspicious of the idea that just because people have lived in a certain place for a few generations they have a right to the land. Why? Because it justifies the Nazi/Israeli mindset - use violence to hold land for a while and it becomes ok to the rest of the world.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
03 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas

If you're not sure if it's true, why do you repeat this inflammatory rubbish? Where did you find it? Some neo-Nazi website?

And, what does that have to do with this thread anyway?

Oh, and in case you're really interested... it's not true.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Not necessarily. It could be legal in one place and illegal in another.

F

Moves
03 May 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Not necessarily. It could be legal in one place and illegal in another.
I was talking linguistically. In which case it is clearly an oxymoron.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
I was talking linguistically. In which case it is clearly an oxymoron.
I was also talking linguistically, and while you may be right, I am not convinced.