Kennedy

Kennedy

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by whodey
As I'm all sure you have heard, Senator Ted Kennedy died. So what are we to make of his tenure as a distinguished Senator. He is being called the most influentual Senator in American history.

So what did you make of him? I would like to talk about the good, bad, and ugly without sounding disrespectuful. After all, even though I may disagree or even loa ...[text shortened]... dance on their graves or be disrespectful of someone who has just died. May he rest in peace.
"don't drive over narrow bridges when you're pissed out of your mind"

Learnings from Chappaquiddick - Not The 9 O'Clock News

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by divegeester
"don't drive over narrow bridges when you're pissed out of your mind"

Learnings from Chappaquiddick - Not The 9 O'Clock News
Are you so perfect that you can cast stones like that? On the day of his funeral nonetheless? I pity you if such disrespect is pointed at you the day of your passing.

It is so easy and cowardly to be so stupidly brazen when you can hide behind an avatar.

silicon valley

Moves
30 Aug 09

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6590364.html

Democrats now seek to exploit Ted Kennedy’s death
By JONAH GOLDBERG

Aug. 27, 2009, 8:03PM

If you read the newspapers or watch the news, you will encounter a long list of accomplishments by the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. One thing you’re less likely to hear, however, is that in his death, Kennedy proved Rush Limbaugh right.

In March, the talk-show host and bete noir of progressives everywhere said that the health care bill wending its way through Congress would eventually be dubbed the “Ted Kennedy Memorial Health Care Bill.” At the time, the official position of the Democratic Party was outrage and disgust.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee initiated a petition drive demanding that the Republican Party formally denounce Limbaugh for his “reprehensible” and “truly outrageous” comments.

Fast-forward to a few hours after the announcement of Kennedy’s death. Suddenly, naming the bill after Kennedy would be a moving tribute. ABC News reports that “the idea of naming the legislation for Kennedy has been quietly circulating for months” but was kicked into overdrive by Sen. Robert Byrd, the Democratic Party’s eldest statesman. Intriguingly, this suggests that either Democrats already had the idea when Limbaugh floated it, which would mean their protests were just so much cynical posturing, or they actually got the idea from Limbaugh himself, which would be too ironic for a Tom Wolfe novel.

But that Kennedy’s death should be marked by cynicism, opportunism and irony is not shocking, given that these qualities are now the hallmarks of the party he largely defined.

The determination of the Democratic Party to exploit Kennedy’s death for political gain puts the political commentator who doesn’t wish to speak ill of the dead in something of a bind. So let us be clear that there is no evidence whatsoever that Kennedy himself — or any Kennedy — would object to such a ploy.

Whether one calls it exploitation or heroic perseverance, the Kennedy dynasty’s longevity is best understood as a response to fatal tragedies. When Jacqueline Kennedy learned of her husband’s murder, she lamented Lee Harvey Oswald’s inconvenient political views. “It had to be some silly little Communist.”

Fortunately, her husband’s handlers had things well in hand, orchestrating with a compliant media the grand fiction that Kennedy had somehow been a martyr to civil rights, taken out by right-wing “hate.” The real JFK, who cut capital gains taxes and only reluctantly supported Martin Luther King Jr.’s March on Washington, had never been nearly as liberal as the posthumous legend created to give new life to liberalism — and the Kennedy name.

According to the mythmakers, JFK would have pulled us out of Vietnam (and the Oliver Stones say that’s why he was killed). Meanwhile, the real JFK boasted — mere hours before his murder — that he’d massively boosted defense spending and ordered a 600 percent increase on counterinsurgency special forces in Vietnam. The prior March he’d asked Congress to spend 50 cents out of every dollar on defense.

Hence one of the great ironies of Ted Kennedy’s career. He was the chief beneficiary of an inheritance from a brother whose views he didn’t share.

silicon valley

Moves
30 Aug 09

someone who survived an accident like the one at Chappaquiddick should be placed in jail, not permitted to remain in the Senate.

w

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by zeeblebot
someone who survived an accident like the one at Chappaquiddick should be placed in jail, not permitted to remain in the Senate.
But just like Nixon and Clinton, once one attains a certain level in government or a certain level of power and prestige they become untouchable. Of course, the same could be said in the private sector such as OJ or Michael Jackson.

F

Moves
30 Aug 09

But just like Nixon and Clinton, once one attains a certain level in government or a certain level of power and prestige they become untouchable. Of course, the same could be said in the private sector such as OJ or Michael Jackson.
Just like Reagan, once one attains a certain level in government or a certain level of power and prestige they become untouchable. Of course, the same could be said in the private sector such as Union Carbide.

w

Moves
30 Aug 09

Hence one of the great ironies of Ted Kennedy’s career. He was the chief beneficiary of an inheritance from a brother whose views he didn’t share.
...[/b]
I think it safe to say that the JFK of old would have been to the right of the modern Republican party of today. I think it also safe to say that Teddy attained his "greatness" specifically on the back of the Kennedy name and connections.

w

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by FMF
Just like Reagan, once one attains a certain level in government or a certain level of power and prestige they become untouchable. Of course, the same could be said in the private sector such as Union Carbide.
I thought I just said that, or did you percieve my comment as a partisan cheap shot....which it was not?

Hy-Brasil

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Are you so perfect that you can cast stones like that? On the day of his funeral nonetheless? I pity you if such disrespect is pointed at you the day of your passing.

It is so easy and cowardly to be so stupidly brazen when you can hide behind an avatar.
Ted Kennedy was a scum bag,plain and simple. His brothers JFK and RFK were scum bags as well. They had a good teacher. Their father Joe.
People die, I am sorry. But,to sit here and act like he was some great man is a crock. The Kennedys were dirty from the ground up.

F

Moves
30 Aug 09

I thought I just said that, or did you percieve my comment as a partisan cheap shot....which it was not?
It's your sense of proportion that is in question.

w

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by utherpendragon
Ted Kennedy was a scum bag,plain and simple. His brothers JFK and RFK were scum bags as well. They had a good teacher. Their father Joe.
People die, I am sorry. But,to sit here and act like he was some great man is a crock. The Kennedys were dirty from the ground up.
I think the tendency is for people to glorify anyone and everyone who attains a level of fame. After all, to attain a level of fame one more or less has already concluded that they are "great" in some way or another in order to be worthy of that fame. Then when they die it simply turns into a love fest. As for people like yourself, however, you never bought into the notion that he was "great". Therefore, it seems absurd to you that he should be considered great now merely because he died.

d

Moves
30 Aug 09

I think the tendency is for people to glorify anyone and everyone who attains a level of fame. After all, to attain a level of fame one more or less has already concluded that they are "great" in some way or another in order to be worthy of that fame. Then when they die it simply turns into a love fest. As for people like yourself, however, you never bough ...[text shortened]... efore, it seems absurd to you that he should be considered great now merely because he died.
You believe that it's impossible for anyone to keep from committing sin?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
Well, that was profound. You sound like some kid in a sandbox that those adroit remarks.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Well, that was profound. You sound like some kid in a sandbox that those adroit remarks.
Whatever,you obviously do not know anything about the Kennedys. Which does not surprise me.

g

Pepperland

Moves
30 Aug 09

why?