If X happens, I'll move to another country...

If X happens, I'll move to another country...

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
I will set this poser for you and then count myself out as I already did this myself over 20 years ago, after a fashion, anyway.

Assuming you're now in the country where you feel you belong, and something dreadful happened - politically - the "X" in the thread title - something you simply could not stand for [doesn't matter what it is, chuntering on about wh ...[text shortened]... to offer that country?

And what would you expect to be the problems you'd face there?
When I was younger and after seeing many countries as a tourist, I became determined to live abroad. I spent 10 years total working in Austria, France, and South Africa before coming back to the US.

While I learned an enormous amount from traveling, in the end I concluded that my geographic location was not the prime mover of how satisfied and happy I was.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
You also have to be willing to go into France briefly when you do your three point turn at the end of the strip of shops on the sea front.
True. And the fee to apply for citizenship is around 2000 euros and you can only apply once in your life -- if they say no the first time, you get no second chance. At least this is what an Italian guy there told me.

F

Moves
19 Mar 12

Originally posted by spruce112358
While I learned an enormous amount from traveling, in the end I concluded that my geographic location was not the prime mover of how satisfied and happy I was.
Be that as it may, if you felt the need to flee or to protest developments at home, which country would you head for?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Be that as it may, if you felt the need to flee or to protest developments at home, which country would you head for?
Very tough question. But most likely Switzerland. I've interviewed for jobs there, but never took one. Nice spot to flee to, too.

D

Moves
19 Mar 12

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
19 Mar 12

Originally posted by sh76
Yeah, I know, you have to wait 7 months for an MRI
I'm sorry... I know this is irrelevant to the OP, but I couldn't help myself.

I'll show you my stats if you show me yours.

http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Libraries/Committee_Docs/WaitingTimes_primer.sflb.ashx

"Statistics Canada, a non-partisan organization, has compiled an extensive set of statistics on waiting times based on the Health Services Access Survey of 2003. [...] The median [self-reported] wait time for selected non-emergency diagnostic tests (CT, MRI, or angiography) was 3.0 weeks [95% CI , 2.1-3.9]."

It goes on to say that nearly 88 percent of Canadians reported waiting less than 3 months for such tests.

___

Now, I'll play along, too.

For many reasons, having universal health care among them, Canada would probably be my first choice, too. As others have mentioned, the culture seems remarkably similar to that of the United States, and it would still be within easy travel range to most of the United States. I'm not sure what I'd offer, in that I don't suppose I'd offer anything different than I would any other country. I'd love to live in Vancouver, ideally, but I realize there's a high cost of living there.

w

Moves
20 Mar 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
But a conservative would look at the success of the Inuit and conclude that it had been successful in suriving in that climate. Conversly, a liberal looks at the success of the former USSR and Cuba and thinks that is the way to go!!

T

Moves
20 Mar 12

In Europe, Sweden - I have friends there already and know Stockholm well; I find the people generally welcoming; the language doesn't seem too challenging to pick up; and I admire their sense of social solidarity and concern with fairness. I'd find the winter nights a bit intimidating, but on the other hand, the blokes are the most handsome in the world.

Elsewhere, well, I've lived in Japan before and found it a very easy place to be, especially once I learned to speak the language. All the blessings of a liberal constitution coupled with the benefits of (small-c) conservative values. Job prospects for foreigners a bit limited though.

D

Moves
20 Mar 12

D

Moves
20 Mar 12

D

Moves
20 Mar 12
2 edits

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
21 Mar 12

Originally posted by wittywonka
I'm sorry... I know this is irrelevant to the OP, but I couldn't help myself.

I'll show you my stats if you show me yours.

http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Libraries/Committee_Docs/WaitingTimes_primer.sflb.ashx

"Statistics Canada, a non-partisan organization, has compiled an extensive set of statistics on waiting times based on the Health Services Access ...[text shortened]... ve to live in Vancouver, ideally, but I realize there's a high cost of living there.
I'm just kidding around about the 7 months. It's a reference to that story a couple of years back about that guy who crossed to Buffalo to get an MRI because they wanted him to wait 7 months in Ontario.

I know that's not par for the course.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by Soothfast
I'm not sure what it would take to get me to leave the U.S., because I'd more likely want to combat change for the worse than flee it. But if I left, I would first try to get into Australia. It is warmer, it has the Outback, and it has the southern stars. Canada is too cold. My foremost problem with Australia, I think, would be the whole driving on the left thing.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, what with our political system being incrementally sold out to corporate interests, it won't be that long before we take for granted driving on the 'right' 😉

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by sh76
I'd also choose Canada. It just doesn't seem that different from the US. I have Canadian friends and from what i can gather, the culture in Ontario is essentially the same as it is in the northeast US, right down to the same TV stations. Moving from New York to Toronto would hardly be an adjustment at all.

Plus, I love hockey.

Yeah, I know, you have to wa ...[text shortened]... NHS isn't as bad as the right wingers make it out to be and, besides, the accent is cool.
Why leave America for 'America'...What would be the point? Wouldn't that be a bit like the rock star who constantly tours the world but all they ever see of the planet is an interminable parade of Hilton lounge rooms and lobbies?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
23 Mar 12

Originally posted by kmax87
Why leave America for 'America'...What would be the point? Wouldn't that be a bit like the rock star who constantly tours the world but all they ever see of the planet is an interminable parade of Hilton lounge rooms and lobbies?
I have no interest in leaving the US (to live). The hypo was that I had to for some external reason.