How The Game is Played

How The Game is Played

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
More clearly? You are keying on corps taking legal tax breaks. I have done it myself, more than once. If you will google the purpose(s) and history of such goings-on, you will see that they benefit the country. Libs hate corps, as you type on your Corp-made computer, and find IRS regulations the easiest thing to vent about. To that, I say “whatever”.
Could it be ...[text shortened]... atever their reason.

I’m thinking you, like corps, have used tax breaks, I know you hate it.
Here's the simple answer to your simple ideas:

It is society that sets up the economic system. A democratic society can set its tax rates at whatever it pleases and those who have benefited from the societal choice of an economic system have no legitimate complaint.

A democratic society can use its tax revenues for whatever it pleases. If it thinks a large portion of people living in poverty is unacceptable, it can divert societal resources to help them. Those who don't like such policies can vote against them, but they are suffering no deprivation of any "right" by such policies being adopted by the majority.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 May 21

Of course the prior post is subject to the restriction against violating an individual's Natural Rights, but that surely does not include a "right" not to pay some share of society's cost nor to have a personal veto power over the tax system.

w

Moves
23 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
No, my crux for many months is NOT about corps, which I like, though we have an imperfect (legal) tax system, by people we elected. To rap on about the system in detail smacks of Sonhouse ravings, so I will pass. I respect your views, like you can respect mine about govt spending, great examples of which are listed in the Biden Covid bill, where only 9% of the trillions ...[text shortened]... onse from a man from Mars as to his opinion on Marx’s great idea. “They make you do WHAT?!?!?!????”
It's ok to apply Marxist philosophy to corps (because you like corps)???

Apparently you are deliberately missing the point that Marxist economics completely distorts capitalism. If you give money to corps and tell them what to do with the money, capitalism dies. You've flung a wide brush all libs as Marxist but ignore the capitalist welfare programs that are ripped from the mind of Karl.

Lake Como

Moves
23 May 21

@no1marauder said
Here's the simple answer to your simple ideas:

It is society that sets up the economic system. A democratic society can set its tax rates at whatever it pleases and those who have benefited from the societal choice of an economic system have no legitimate complaint.

A democratic society can use its tax revenues for whatever it pleases. If it thinks a large portion o ...[text shortened]... but they are suffering no deprivation of any "right" by such policies being adopted by the majority.
Roughly speaking, A democratic society is where the citizens make the laws, . You are correct, that in a (pure) democracy., laws are made by the voting majority ( I call it mob rule). The rights of the remaining minority are left unprotected.

So that everyone understands, the USA does not operate that way, so let not Maruader's post confuse you. We have enough confusion going on. I wish Marauder would use his time more wisely, an tell us what in the hell Biden is up to,,,,,,on every front. Hell in the making.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
Roughly speaking, A democratic society is where the citizens make the laws, . You are correct, that in a (pure) democracy., laws are made by the voting majority ( I call it mob rule). The rights of the remaining minority are left unprotected.

So that everyone understands, the USA does not operate that way, so let not Maruader's post confuse you. We have enough ...[text shortened]... e more wisely, an tell us what in the hell Biden is up to,,,,,,on every front. Hell in the making.
The US is a democratic society. The first words of the US Constitution are: "We the People of the United States"

Earlier in the Declaration of Independence, the Founders declared:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

There is no contradiction between a democratic government and one that protects the People's Natural Rights.

You call it "mob rule" because you don't like what the majority of People want and desire.

Lake Como

Moves
23 May 21

@no1marauder said
The US is a democratic society. The first words of the US Constitution are: "We the People of the United States"

Earlier in the Declaration of Independence, the Founders declared:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and th ...[text shortened]... hts.

You call it "mob rule" because you don't like what the majority of People want and desire.
Actually, I call it Mob Rule because 51% of the people. including people whom we do not know from SAmerica, can control the other 49%. I don't really know what a democratic society means, but the USA is definintely a Republic. Can't be both.
The USA was the first Constitutional Republic in the world. As a lib, with concepts like the Electoral College in your sights, your mindset can only see us veering away from the intent of the Constitution. Many scholars argue these points, I am satisfied with their more studied opinions. You prob think that a democracy is where we all vote for members of government. That is a democratic concept for sure, but using that process does not make the USA a 'democracy'. So, we are at best a 'democratic republic, but that is a far cry from a Democracy/ As to a 'Democratic Society,', you would have to define that for your readers.
As to your references to the Constitution, you know full-well that the founding fathers feared Mob Rule, or the "Tyranny of the majority"....that is why they promoted a Republican form of government. They did NOT want 51% to control the other 49%. Am I wrong?
Try telling us readers that the founding fathers were into a Democracy. I was and is not so.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 May 21
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
Actually, I call it Mob Rule because 51% of the people. including people whom we do not know from SAmerica, can control the other 49%. I don't really know what a democratic society means, but the USA is definintely a Republic. Can't be both.
The USA was the first Constitutional Republic in the world. As a lib, with concepts like the Electoral College in your sight ...[text shortened]...
Try telling us readers that the founding fathers were into a Democracy. I was and is not so.
Your complaints are generally about policy and Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution (BTW have you ever actually read the Constitution?) specifically grants certain powers to Congress, which is elected by the People. You don't like the idea that this applies to tax policy, but tough titty: "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes,"

And yes, a country can be both "democratic" and a "republic" and the Framers intended the US to be so.

Lake Como

Moves
23 May 21

@no1marauder said
Your complaints are generally about policy and Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution (BTW have you ever actually read the Constitution?) specifically grants certain powers to Congress, which is elected by the People. You don't like the idea that this applies to tax policy, but tough titty: "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes,"

And yes, a country can be both "democratic" and a "republic" and the Framers intended the US to be so.
Is the USA a democratic society?

Lake Como

Moves
23 May 21
1 edit

@wildgrass said
It's ok to apply Marxist philosophy to corps (because you like corps)???

Apparently you are deliberately missing the point that Marxist economics completely distorts capitalism. If you give money to corps and tell them what to do with the money, capitalism dies. You've flung a wide brush all libs as Marxist but ignore the capitalist welfare programs that are ripped from the mind of Karl.
Not Writing about corps.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
Is the USA a democratic society?
So far, yes.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
The USA was the first Constitutional Republic in the world. As a lib, with concepts like the Electoral College in your sight ...[text shortened]...
The USA was the first Constitutional Republic in the world.

No, pendejo, the Dutch Republic predates it by almost 200 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Republic

Lake Como

Moves
24 May 21

@athousandyoung said
The USA was the first Constitutional Republic in the world.

No, pendejo, the Dutch Republic predates it by almost 200 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Republic
I’ll take your word for it.
Did you see where Marauder says we are a Democratic Society?

Do you think that the Electoral College should be abolished?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 May 21
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
I’ll take your word for it.
Did you see where Marauder says we are a Democratic Society?

Do you think that the Electoral College should be abolished?
The EC should be abolished, but its existence doesn't change the fact that the US is a democratic society where the ultimate political power resides in the People.

And included in the legitimate powers of our government, is to set tax rates and collect them.

Lake Como

Moves
24 May 21
1 edit

@no1marauder said
The EC should be abolished, but its existence doesn't change the fact that the US is a democratic society where the ultimate political power resides in the People.

And included in the legitimate powers of our government, is to set tax rates and collect them.
But Marauder, dispensing with the semantics of what is democratic or republic blah blah blah, if we get rid of the electoral college, we will in fact have where 51% of the country can tell the other 49% to kiss off, or whatever.
Marauder, to our less-informed readers, that is what is generally referred to as mob rule. You are the saying that you are all for mob rule.
Confirm, please?

Lake Como

Moves
24 May 21

@AverageJoe1
Don’t forget to check on the thread regarding assassinating Soleimani, because Duchess is about to enlighten us as to how that is different than murdering, her words, Osama bin Laden. Cant wsit!!