Finally!!!!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!!!!!

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
18 Sep 15
1 edit

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/alabama-eliminate-marriage-licenses/2015/09/15/id/691722/

It has begun.

As the same-sex marriage debate rages in conservative states, Alabama is getting closer to its own solution: stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.

A bill moving through the legislature would do just that, AL.com reports. It wouldn't force Alabamians to "live in sin," but rather would allow them to declare themselves married without having to get the approval of county officials.

Instead of issuing marriage licenses, couples would simply fill out marriage contracts – be they same-sex or opposite sex – that probate judges in the state would then file in the state's official records.

The legislature is currently in special session to tackle its budget crisis. Since the marriage contract bill was not designated by the governor a reason for the special session, the bill would require a two-thirds vote to pass.

Gay rights groups and the American Civil Liberties Union still oppose the bill, calling it a "ham-handed solution in search of a non-existent problem," Reason.com reports.

"Apparently now that they've won, they forgot why the entire marriage battle happened in the first place," Reason's Scott Shackford wrote. " That's what actual liberty looks like — you telling the government that you're married, not the other way around."

w

Moves
18 Sep 15

May the divorce lawyers in Alabama rot in hell!!

Hahahahaha!!!

Infidel

Moves
18 Sep 15

Why would they bother with declaring themselves married? To whom?

w

Moves
18 Sep 15

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Why would they bother with declaring themselves married? To whom?
Unfortunately, marriage has become an entitlement. But like most entitlements, most are unaware of the true cost to themselves and society at large.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Sep 15

Originally posted by whodey
Unfortunately, marriage has become an entitlement. But like most entitlements, most are unaware of the true cost to themselves and society at large.
Er, explain the entitlement thing. For instance, 20 or so years ago, if you got married there was a disconnect in tax law where the married couple had to pay more taxes because they were married. Now we at least have more or less equality of taxation of married V unmarried. I don't see that as entitlement.

For me and my wife, because she has AARP supplemental insurance, if I get the same package, we get a 10% reduction in overall price. Is that what you mean by entitlement? That is more a straight up business deal.

Infidel

Moves
18 Sep 15

So what are the practical differences going to be?

Moves
18 Sep 15

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/alabama-eliminate-marriage-licenses/2015/09/15/id/691722/

It has begun.

As the same-sex marriage debate rages in conservative states, Alabama is getting closer to its own solution: stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.
Wasn't Alabama also the state that wanted to force pi to be exactly 3, instantly turning all wheels in the state hexagonal?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
18 Sep 15

It has begun.

A bill moving through the legislature would do just that, AL.com reports. It wouldn't force ...[text shortened]... liberty looks like — you telling the government that you're married, not the other way around."
I've never understood why our beloved lawmakers devote so much time on a subject such as this that affects such a small percentage of our population. I feel like screaming at our lawmakers to start working on problems such as our crumbling infrastructure and reducing our national debt, rather than fussing about a couple of Lesbians who want to get married.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by bill718
I've never understood why our beloved lawmakers devote so much time on a subject such as this that affects such a small percentage of our population. I feel like screaming at our lawmakers to start working on problems such as our crumbling infrastructure and reducing our national debt, rather than fussing about a couple of Lesbians who want to get married.
My suggestion is if they wish to get married, then move to Europe or Canada. 😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Sep 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
My suggestion is if they wish to get married, then move to Europe or Canada. 😏
My suggestion is YOU move to Canada, maybe Antarctica. Like he said, there are many MUCH more important things to worry about besides what sex marries what sex. But republicans are so Christ addled they can't think about the real world any more, just BS issues like same sex marriages. I didn't hear anything from you about the crumbling infrastructure, bridges collapsing and such, the rising gap between the 1%ers and the rest, none of that matters, only who gets married to whom. What a bunch of croc.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
My suggestion is YOU move to Canada, maybe Antarctica. Like he said, there are many MUCH more important things to worry about besides what sex marries what sex. But republicans are so Christ addled they can't think about the real world any more, just BS issues like same sex marriages. I didn't hear anything from you about the crumbling infrastructure, bridg ...[text shortened]... e 1%ers and the rest, none of that matters, only who gets married to whom. What a bunch of croc.
I care about all those things. I don't care about changing the laws so lesbians can get married. That is why I said they can move somewhere else so I don't have to worry about them. 😏

Moves
18 Sep 15

I care about all those things. I don't care about changing the laws so lesbians can get married. That is why I said they can move somewhere else so I don't have to worry about them. 😏
Are you worried about their being safe from people like you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Sep 15

But you don't have to "worry" about them right now. Conservatives like to drape the Constitution around themselves and cry out that we need to get back to the law of the Constitution. Just what is it that they don't understand about "equal protection under the law"?

w

Moves
20 Sep 15

Originally posted by bill718
It's all about the money trail. Lobby groups rule.

Where are the lobby groups for the crumbling infrastructure I wonder?

w

Moves
20 Sep 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
But you don't have to "worry" about them right now. Conservatives like to drape the Constitution around themselves and cry out that we need to get back to the law of the Constitution. Just what is it that they don't understand about "equal protection under the law"?
Tell that to polygamists.

Oh, I forgot, they don't have lobby groups.

Never mind