Fascists Gonna Fasc...

Fascists Gonna Fasc...

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19d

The government of Israel has decided to shut down press unfavorable to the regime. So much for the ME's "best and only" democracy! 😀

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet has voted unanimously to close Al Jazeera’s operations in Israel, according to a government statement, which did not stipulate when the decision might take effect.

The cabinet vote on Sunday came after Israel’s parliament passed a law allowing the temporary closure in Israel of foreign broadcasters considered to be a threat to national security during the war against Hamas in Gaza."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/5/netanyahu-government-votes-to-close-al-jazeera-channel-in-israel

I think Biden should 'temporarily' shut down Fox and OAN news. They are clearly a threat to national security during our current crisis (you know - the crisis AvJoe says we are in: 70% of people 'feeling something is wrong.' Never waste a good crisis!) 😀

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
The government of Israel has decided to shut down press unfavorable to the regime. So much for the ME's "best and only" democracy! 😀

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet has voted unanimously to close Al Jazeera’s operations in Israel, according to a government statement, which did not stipulate when the decision might take effect.

The cabinet vote ...[text shortened]... is AvJoe says we are in: 70% of people 'feeling something is wrong.' Never waste a good crisis!) 😀
Al Jazeera - funded by Qatar, a supporter of terrorism especially Hamas, Jew-haters, and liars, a country low on the freedom index, and a suppressor of free speech and human rights.

Kindred buddies of yours I would imagine.

This should have been done a long time ago.

Moves
19d

@rajk999 said
Al Jazeera - funded by Qatar, a supporter of terrorism especially Hamas, Jew-haters, and liars, a country low on the freedom index, and a suppressor of free speech and human rights.

Kindred buddies of yours I would imagine.

This should have been done a long time ago.
I'm stunned it was ever allowed in the first place.
Al Jazeera is an antisemitic organization that posts Muslim hate-propaganda and calls it news.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19d

@cliff-mashburn said
Al Jazeera is an antisemitic organization that posts Muslim hate-propaganda and calls it news.
Im sure it was done under protest from people who knew better, but within Israel there are Jewish groups that would like their govt to be a bit more inclusive of this kind of content, but it never was going to last. These media houses are just plan sick and evil.

Moves
19d

@rajk999 said
Im sure it was done under protest from people who knew better, but within Israel there are Jewish groups that would like their govt to be a bit more inclusive of this kind of content, but it never was going to last. These media houses are just plan sick and evil.
Where does one go to get “the real truth”?🤔

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19d

@great-big-stees said
Certainly not from stations funded by terrorist countries.
Pick another one with no horse in that race.

I thought that should be obvious.

Moves
19d

@great-big-stees said
Fox News

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19d

@cliff-mashburn said
Do you ever watch Al Jazeera?

I've been watching them for years because they take a very "old fashioned" approach to reporting, without the editorializing that has taken over many other outlets. It's like 'news from before Dan Rather.' More like David Brinkley or John Chancellor.

As for AJ's bias, before the Gaza War, they oriented much more on stories from the point of view of ordinary people: fishermen, farmers, workers. And this perspective they brought to US stories from time to time as well, interviewing ordinary Americans affected by floods or tornadoes etc.

After looking at Al Jazeera for awhile, you realize that there is a huge bias in most news agencies towards stores about the US and within the US about 'lifestyles of the rich and famous.'

US News doesn't cover the struggles of a barefoot guy maneuvering a huge rosewood trunk down a rushing mountain stream in Madagascar by himself. But that's also a human story - maybe just as important as some rich guy paying for sex and getting caught?

With the Gaza War, AJ has given that a lot of coverage. Before the war, in 2022, an Israeli soldier killed Al Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh. The IDF of course investigated itself and OF COURSE found itself blameless.

Then, "During [Akleh's] funeral procession, the Israel Police attacked the pallbearers at the Saint Joseph's Hospital in East Jerusalem with batons and stun grenades. The hospital itself was also stormed by Israeli police officers, who assaulted patients and threw stun grenades, wounding and causing burns to medical staff in the building. The facility issued a statement from the Christian Churches of the Holy Land, stating that the Israel Police's actions constituted "invasion and disproportionate use of force" and a violation of the "right of freedom of religion" for the Palestinians. Abu Akleh's funeral was attended by tens of thousands of people carrying Palestinian flags and chanting nationalist songs; it is believed to have been the largest Palestinian funeral in Jerusalem in over twenty years. On October 26, 2023, the Israeli military bulldozed a memorial that had been erected at the site where Abu Akleh was killed."

Funny how we never hear about these sort of things in our Wonderful Western Media. Too busy reporting on Trump falling asleep, I guess.

So yeah, Al Jazeera is a fantastic piece to add to your daily mix of news. It will add greatly to your 'unbiasedness.' Highly recommended.

w

Moves
19d

@cliff-mashburn said
"Al Jazeera is an antisemitic organization that posts Muslim hate-propaganda and calls it news."

What have they posted that is propaganda?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19d

@rajk999 said
Certainly not from stations funded by terrorist countries.
Pick another one with no horse in that race.

I thought that should be obvious.
So, nothing American then.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19d

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68961753

Israel's government has moved to shut down the operations of the Al Jazeera television network in the country, branding it a mouthpiece for Hamas.

Police raided the Qatari broadcaster's office at the Ambassador hotel in Jerusalem on Sunday.

Foreign journalists are banned from entering Gaza, and Al Jazeera staff there have been some of the only reporters on the ground.

Yeah… nothing remotely totalitarian or fascist going on there…

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19d

@Cliff-Mashburn
You mean the network that posts as real Trump saying ingest bleach, kills covid in minutes or shove a UV light up your butt, does the same? Or Covid will be all gone by Easter? Or I will be a dictator on day one. Fox News, an OXYMORON.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19d

@shavixmir said
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68961753

Israel's government has moved to shut down the operations of the Al Jazeera television network in the country, branding it a mouthpiece for Hamas.

Police raided the Qatari broadcaster's office at the Ambassador hotel in Jerusalem on Sunday.

Foreign journalists are banned from entering Gaza, and Al Jazeera s ...[text shortened]... nly reporters on the ground.

Yeah… nothing remotely totalitarian or fascist going on there…
It sure sounds like it was the "war cabinet" which decided this, which is 3 people.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/5/netanyahu-government-votes-to-close-al-jazeera-channel-in-israel

"Al Jazeera is one of the few international media outlets to remain in Gaza throughout the war, broadcasting bloody scenes of air attacks and overcrowded hospitals, and accusing Israel of massacres.

"Last month, Netanyahu had said he would 'act immediately to stop' Al Jazeera’s operations in Israel after its parliament approved a law that grants senior ministers powers to shut down foreign news networks deemed a security risk."

"Karhi said he ordered the seizure of Al Jazeera’s broadcasting equipment “used to deliver the channel’s content”, including editing and routing equipment, cameras, microphones, servers and laptops, as well as wireless transmission equipment and some mobile phones."

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
19d

Imagine Biden takes a vote of himself, the VP, and the Sec of State and announces a "unanimous" decision to close down Fox News until after the election.

That's what just happened in Israel.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19d
1 edit

I have to admit that Netanyahu is getting more and more wild, and has me very worried, as someone who desperately wants peace and Israeli security.

I'm not worried about Al Jazeera. But I'm very worried that he's seemingly fumbled this chance to at least bring temporary peace, and possibly a long term deal with the US and Saudi Arabia. Hamas sitting on it for a week and a half also hurt, of course, but I don't expect any better from that bunch of genocidal terrorists. I do expect more from Israel.

I can't help worry that Netanyahu is putting his own political survival above Israeli interests. I hope they manage to topple him in some legal way.