1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 22:37
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm not trying to be confrontational here. Just pointing out the disconnect. Both F-35 and Mars projects are "predicted" costs for very long term projects and those projected costs are comparable. As a society we emphasize upgrades to war machines over the exploratory projects.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 22:51
    No. Do you think I'm justifying the B-29 costs?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 22:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 22:52
    "Germany spent much more (mostly a waste, in my view) on the V-1 and V-2 rockets
    than the USA spent on the Manhattan Project."
    --Duchess64
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 22:57

6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 23:25
    Good post.

I hope this isn't a model for the future of military innovation. It sounds like a lot of folks on here are talking about relative capabilities of various jets across the world and what the next one will be. This one was an admitted failure, plain and simple. Now, despite the failures, you can already see the politicians coming out of the woodwork to "clarify that there will be a future for the F-35" or whatever plane comes next will mean cash contracts and jobs for their home district. I predict we're going to fork out trillions more for the next generation of airplanes paid to the same darn company full of cost overruns and failures. Sheeeeeeeesh. Priorities, guys. You've got the "conservatives" over on the other thread complaining about spending the same amount of money on coronavirus bailouts but crickets on the F-35. We've got other, better, bigger things to do than this right?
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 23:44
    @wildgrass said
    Good post.

I hope this isn't a model for the future of military innovation. It sounds like a lot of folks on here are talking about relative capabilities of various jets across the world and what the next one will be. This one was an admitted failure, plain and simple. Now, despite the failures, you can already see the politicians coming out of the woodwork to "clarify t ...[text shortened]... rus bailouts but crickets on the F-35. We've got other, better, bigger things to do than this right?
    Rust never sleeps. Do you think for one minute if America slows down its continual upgrade of weapons systems to maintain its military superiority, that somehow all its enemies will also slow down, or maybe do you think they might see it as an opportunity to rid themselves of Pax Americana?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 23:56
    @wildgrass said
    I have heard lots of outrage over the cost of the Mars rover project to find life ($2.5 billion) because we still have homeless people on Earth, but shouldn't we be working big to small if we think government expenditures are not in line with the best interests of its citizens?
    Micromanagement of budgeting just like everything else is almost never the answer.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 02:121 edit
    @kmax87 said
    Rust never sleeps. Do you think for one minute if America slows down its continual upgrade of weapons systems to maintain its military superiority, that somehow all its enemies will also slow down, or maybe do you think they might see it as an opportunity to rid themselves of Pax Americana?
    I think if we're going to loose 3,800 nuclear bombs on Earth we should do it from Mars.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 02:31

11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 11:56
    @athousandyoung said
    They needed the B29 to deliver the nuclear bomb
    The Lancaster could have dropped it. They only needed the B29 to avoid it being dropped by a British made aircraft.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 12:122 edits

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 12:271 edit

14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 16:05
    @deepthought said
    The Lancaster could have dropped it. They only needed the B29 to avoid it being dropped by a British made aircraft.
    Is that true?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 19:253 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree