1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '21 03:131 edit
    I had to revive this thread to point out two things:

1) 70% of Lockheed-Martin revenue is government cheese. The CEO is rewarded for all those lucrative no-bid contracts with compensation of $24.4 million.

Her entire job is stealing money from taxpayers. Lockheed is consistently, reproducibly over budget on all of their bids. A venture capitalist would not stand for it. Shouldn't we as taxpayers be able to fire her?

2) From a United States perspective, the point of Desert Storm in 1991 was to teach a lesson to our enemies that they cannot beat us on the battle field. However, the real lesson learned was that.... if you want to mess with the United States, don't do it on the battlefield. Right now we're being hacked and disinformed on the interwebs by our enemies left and right and we are impotent in combating it. We can't even punish them after the fact, they just keep jabbing. They are a generation ahead of us because we were too focused on the battlefield. Our enemy has no intention of fighting us in dogfights. We are blowing our money on useless gadgets.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 01:36
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/neutral-switzerland-plans-to-buy-dozen-of-us-f-35-fighter-jets/ar-AALDYXI
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 03:231 edit
    @wildgrass said
    I had to revive this thread to point out two things:

1) 70% of Lockheed-Martin revenue is government cheese. The CEO is rewarded for all those lucrative no-bid contracts with compensation of $24.4 million.

Her entire job is stealing money from taxpayers. Lockheed is consistently, reproducibly over budget on all of their bids. A venture capitalist would not stand for i ...[text shortened]... Our enemy has no intention of fighting us in dogfights. We are blowing our money on useless gadgets.
    Hi wildgrass. just a couple of comments here on your two

1) $24.4 million is rabbit feed, frankly. I am surprised how low it is.
    -------------
    GOOGL Alphabet Inc. Sundar Pichai 2019 $280,621,552
    INTC Intel Corporation Robert Swan 2019 $66,935,100
    AMD Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Lisa Su 2019 $58,534,288
    MSG Madison Square Garden Sports Corp. James Dolan 2019 $54,116,491
    HWM Howmet Aerospace Inc. John Plant 2019 $51,712,578
    DIS The Walt Disney Company Robert Iger 2019 $47,517,762
    PINS Pinterest, Inc. Benjamin Silbermann 2019 $46,222,113
    DISCA Discovery, Inc. David Zaslav 2019 $45,843,912
    UTHR United Therapeutics Corporation Martine Rothblatt 2019 $45,635,037
    FWONA Liberty Media Corp. Gregory Maffei 2019 $44,045,070
    KHC The Kraft Heinz Company Miguel Patricio 2019 $43,297,480
    MSFT Microsoft Corporation Satya Nadella 2019 $42,910,215
    VMW VMware, Inc. Patrick Gelsinger 2020 $42,549,725
    UBER Uber Technologies, Inc. Dara Khosrowshahi 2019 $42,428,233
    FOXA Fox Corporation Lachlan Murdoch 2019 $42,111,103
    NOW ServiceNow, Inc. William McDermott 2019 $41,682,335
    ADBE Adobe, Inc. Shantanu Narayen 2019 $39,145,631
    NFLX Netflix, Inc. Reed Hastings 2019 $38,577,129
    CVS CVS Health Corporation Larry Merlo 2019 $36,451,749
    CMCSA Comcast Corporation Brian Roberts 2019 $36,370,183

2) I agree, our combatants quite often fight asymmetric warfare. And what we are left with is trying to
    get the very best in one aspect of warfare but one that is rarely going to have to be that good in
    fighting a foe. The US defense is quite large and spending the kind money we do on this tiny segment seems wasteful.

my opinion.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 03:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 04:36
    @wildgrass said
    However, the real lesson learned was that.... if you want to mess with the United States, don't do it on the battlefield. Right now we're being hacked and disinformed on the interwebs by our enemies left and right and we are impotent in combating it. We can't even punish them after the fact, they just keep jabbing. They are a generation ahead of us because we were too focu ...[text shortened]... Our enemy has no intention of fighting us in dogfights. We are blowing our money on useless gadgets.
    If America wants to maintain its position in the world, and if you want to maintain your standard of living, you have to do both. Have an unassailable military presence and advantage and learn to defend against the asymmetrical attack.

America downsizing or downgrading its physical presence and prowess, will only lead to power vacuums that other nations will be only to eager to fill.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 12:11
    @kmax87 said
    If America wants to maintain its position in the world, and if you want to maintain your standard of living, you have to do both. Have an unassailable military presence and advantage and learn to defend against the asymmetrical attack.

America downsizing or downgrading its physical presence and prowess, will only lead to power vacuums that other nations will be only to eager to fill.
    The two countries most likely to step forward to fill the void..

China and Russia
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 22:34
    @kmax87 said

@Kmax - "America downsizing or downgrading its physical presence and prowess, will only lead to power vacuums that other nations will be only to eager to fill"
    ---------

I am not sure we'd be downsizing. We'd be putting the money to another use like buying 2 more aircraft carriers with SuperHornets, Helos, Tomahawk missiles etc.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 18:55
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Hi wildgrass. just a couple of comments here on your two

1) $24.4 million is rabbit feed, frankly. I am surprised how low it is.
    -------------
    GOOGL Alphabet Inc. Sundar Pichai 2019 $280,621,552
    INTC Intel Corporation Robert Swan 2019 $66,935,100
    AMD Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Lisa Su 2019 $58,534,288
    MSG Madison Square Garden Sports Corp. James Dolan 2019 $ ...[text shortened]... is quite large and spending the kind money we do on this tiny segment seems wasteful.

my opinion.
    How many of those CEOs are paid primarily in tax dollars?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 19:08
    @kmax87 said

Downsizing? The world is fighting back, right now. They're not doing on the battlefield and probably never will again. Get with the times. This happened yesterday, purposefully timed to hit over Independence Day weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jul/02/latest-ransomware-attack-american-businesses-kaseya

How are we going to maintain our position in the world while we are being repeatedly attacked by enemy nations thousands of times per year? Due to our heavily-emphasized focus on the 'battlefield', we have very few countermeasures, recourse or strategies for dealing with cyberattacks except to pay them the money.

There's no other way to put it except that the F-35 is a shining example of strategic failures at the Pentagon. It's a deterrent for a war that was never going to happen. As if China and Russia are like "oooh, they're building an F-35 so NOW we should be scared?"

Maybe this is a perception problem? If a gas pipeline were taken out by a Russian-made bomb instead of a line of code maybe it'd raise some red flags on our military strategy?
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '21 02:07
    Imagine if Taliban fighters invaded the U.S. and took control of hundreds of our companies. They promised to let us have the companies back in exchange for $70 million.

Do you think, if that happened, that the Pentagon would reevaluate their strategic priorities?

https://www.reuters.com/technology/hackers-demand-70-million-liberate-data-held-by-companies-hit-mass-cyberattack-2021-07-05/
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    08 Jul '21 16:031 edit
    @wildgrass said
    Imagine if Taliban fighters invaded the U.S. and took control of hundreds of our companies. They promised to let us have the companies back in exchange for $70 million.

Do you think, if that happened, that the Pentagon would reevaluate their strategic priorities?

https://www.reuters.com/technology/hackers-demand-70-million-liberate-data-held-by-companies-hit-mass-cyberattack-2021-07-05/
    Imagine if the Taliban had fighters better than the F15 and heavy bombers armed with nuclear cruise missiles.

The F35 is not designed for fighting the Taliban.
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    08 Jul '21 18:46
    Good debate here. It's refreshing, and I am learning a lot
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '21 01:42
    @athousandyoung said
    Imagine if the Taliban had fighters better than the F15 and heavy bombers armed with nuclear cruise missiles.

The only way to defeat the Taliban would be to totally wipe out villages. If given the chance they would do that to US cities, but given the chance we will not.

What does that tell you about fighting the Taliban?
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '21 15:531 edit
    @athousandyoung said

This is kind of my point too. The F-35 was not designed to fight any modern war.

The war in which the F-35 development, mass production and use was necessary does not exist, and will never exist. Our enemies have all moved on to more effective strategies for attacking us, but the USA has a pile of Pentagon cash to burn. A huge chunk of this money needs to spent on cyber-warfare defense (which as far as I can see is completely feckless) and military Artificial Intelligence.

Reprioritize based on existing strategic threats. This is a normal thing. It's not downsizing or giving up or whatever other garbage has been written in defense of the F-35's continued existence. No one really has been able to identify a plausible modern scenario in which we'd ever need 1,500 F-35s in the sky. It's your neighbor building an iron dome around his house but still getting robbed because he keeps leaving the door unlocked.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    09 Jul '21 18:23
    https://www.stripes.com/branches/air_force/us-jets-intercept-russian-bombers-off-alaskan-coast-for-14th-time-this-year-1.649318

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree