Empty Chinese Cities

Empty Chinese Cities

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
29 Mar 11
1 edit

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/21/ghost-town-mongolia-inside-chinas-empty-cities/

So what can we make of this? Is it central planning run amock?

There is some hope, however. China's central planning comrade, Barak Obama, recently offerred China some assistance to help fill their ghost town cities. He did so by offerring to run some Amtrack trains to the empty cities in china as well as some high speed rails. 😛

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 11

Originally posted by whodey
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/21/ghost-town-mongolia-inside-chinas-empty-cities/

Just as a matter of interest, the exact same thing is going on in Dubai. Is that also central planning run amock, and are you happy with whatever criticism you are hoping to throw at communism also apply to Dubai (a capitalist Mecca)?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
31 Mar 11

There is some hope, however. China's central planning comrade, Barak Obama, recently offerred China some assistance to help fill their ghost town cities. He did so by offerring to run some Amtrack trains to the empty cities in china as well as some high speed rails. 😛
I'm confident you'd do a far better job of running things Whodey. You don't seem to have anything good to say about anyone...do you?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
31 Mar 11

Originally posted by bill718
I'm confident you'd do a far better job of running things Whodey. You don't seem to have anything good to say about anyone...do you?
Could it be that whodey doesn't want to run things nor does he want to be run?

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
31 Mar 11
1 edit

Zhengzhou New District in Henan, a place with plans for fifteen yet-to-be-inaugurated universities. This is enlightened indeed. Who could object?

Nearest Western example I can think of is America's military industrial complex and its mountains of unwanted, useless nuclear weapons, its insane Star Wars scam and many other examples. Who could object to the price of freedom?

On balance though it is worth recalling the example of Brasilia, a new capital city built in a crazy out of the way place and now thriving. Zhengzhou may be a failed project but it is not impossible it had some logic to it and not utterly impossible that it has a future. So the Amtrack line may be part of the solution and maybe that just needs more future thinking. I only say this to balance the storyline a bit, not out of any optimism about the quality of governance in China. Question becomes - when do you admit a project has failed and stop throwing money at it? Maybe - when people stop getting rich out of the project!

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
31 Mar 11

Did Obama offer this free or would Americans be PAID to do this? If the latter, would Americans be

a) better off?
b) worse off?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
31 Mar 11

Originally posted by finnegan
Did Obama offer this free or would Americans be PAID to do this? If the latter, would Americans be

a) better off?
b) worse off?
Some might be better off some might be worse off.

Is it gummints business to make innocent people worse off?

w

Moves
31 Mar 11
2 edits

a) better off?
b) worse off?
The high speed rail suggestion is just a Big Government scam. Not only would they cost billions of tax payer money, they would require billions more to keep up and running. It would then become just another money losing scam like Amtrack robbing the American people of even more tax money.

w

Moves
31 Mar 11
1 edit

Originally posted by bill718
Waj is right. I have no idea what is good for you and others, but I am thinking you know what is good for me. Therefore, the bufden is on you, what is "good" for us all?

w

Moves
31 Mar 11

Zhengzhou New District in Henan, a place with plans for fifteen yet-to-be-inaugurated universities. This is enlightened indeed. Who could object?

Nearest Western example I can think of is America's military industrial complex and its mountains of unwanted, useless nuclear weapons, its insane Star Wars scam and many other examples. Who could object to ...[text shortened]... failed and stop throwing money at it? Maybe - when people stop getting rich out of the project!
The waste of centralized planning is truly astounding.

w

Moves
31 Mar 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Just as a matter of interest, the exact same thing is going on in Dubai. Is that also central planning run amock, and are you happy with whatever criticism you are hoping to throw at communism also apply to Dubai (a capitalist Mecca)?
A capitalist would never make such a great investment unless they had a very good chance at making money off of it. Translated, if a capitalist helps build a city, there will be people living in it.

w

Moves
31 Mar 11

So what should we do with these ghost cities?

1. Israeli/Palastinian homeland?
2. Japanese refuge from centuries of radiactive wasteland?
3. Libyan rebel/Gadaffi refuge?
4. Relocation area for Washington DC which is where they belong?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Apr 11

A capitalist would never make such a great investment unless they had a very good chance at making money off of it. Translated, if a capitalist helps build a city, there will be people living in it.
There are vacant homes aplenty due to stupid capitalists and nobody's living in them.

F

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There are vacant homes aplenty due to stupid capitalists and nobody's living in them.
Perhaps it's a case of No True Scots Home...

w

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Of course, there are stupid capitalists, but it is their stupid money, not tax payers money.