Drought in California

Drought in California

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 15

I think you are confusing the method for PRIMING the siphon i.e. starting the flow with the siphon itself.

If the highest pipe is ten meters above the reseviour, the siphon cannot be primed BY SUCTION i.e. like a straw, by sucking on the outlet end.

But you can still prime the siphon on the reseviour end easily. The siphon itself can go a mile high as long as you can get the flow started. It will keep flowing until the reseviour runs dry.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 15

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/6241/Siphoning-Water-Over-35

The key to my problem is this : Is it possible to get water to siphon over 35'? My total lift will be approx. 80' and I was hoping to use siphon only...

I think I will have to look at the solar panels and a dc pump.

Thank you.

In reply to #1
Re: siphoning water over 35'
03/20/2007 10:11 AM
Oh, OK. The sink is below the source. It will work, once the tube is always full of water. And will keep flowing until the upper reservoir is done, or a shutoff valve is closed in the middle.

In your system I see something like this: A small pump, that is turned on by a level switch in the lower reservoir, that also has a shutoff valve actuated by another level sensor (a simple buoy) in a slightly higher level in the reservoir. When the siphon is working properly, it will keep the water supply so the shutoff valve will control it. If air is trapped inside the tube, or for some reason the water demand is too high, or whatever, the electric pump is actuated by the lower level reservoir level switch, so the system can recover and start working normally again.

Hey, I like it. I'd do myself if I needed.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

Originally posted by normbenign
The South American systems were even more impressive, sending running water to the top of the temple and the rest of the city.
Reference please.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I think you are confusing the method for PRIMING the siphon i.e. starting the flow with the siphon itself.
No, I am not.

If the highest pipe is ten meters above the reseviour, the siphon cannot be primed BY SUCTION i.e. like a straw, by sucking on the outlet end.

But you can still prime the siphon on the reseviour end easily. The siphon itself can go a mile high as long as you can get the flow started. It will keep flowing until the reseviour runs dry.

Not so. It is impossible to run a siphon using water that goes more then 10m above the highest water level of the highest end.
It is physically impossible to suck water more than 10m vertically because sucking relies on atmospheric pressure. Simple physics.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

[quote]http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/6241/Siphoning-Water-Over-35
Other posters in the same thread clearly state that a pump is required, and they are correct. You cannot siphon over 10m without a pump (and that makes it no-longer a true siphon).

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Other posters in the same thread clearly state that a pump is required, and they are correct. You cannot siphon over 10m without a pump (and that makes it no-longer a true siphon).
You can turn the pump off once the water begins flowing. That is a true siphon.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, I am not.

[b]If the highest pipe is ten meters above the reseviour, the siphon cannot be primed BY SUCTION i.e. like a straw, by sucking on the outlet end.

But you can still prime the siphon on the reseviour end easily. The siphon itself can go a mile high as long as you can get the flow started. It will keep flowing until the reseviour runs ...[text shortened]... k water more than 10m vertically because sucking relies on atmospheric pressure. Simple physics.
Ok well you go ahead and keep telling yourself that while we enjoy our siphoned over mountains water, dumbass.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 15

Or we can run the pipe along the Pacific coast. No mountains.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

Ok well you go ahead and keep telling yourself that while we enjoy our siphoned over mountains water, dumbass.
Call me dumbass all you like, it still wont work.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

You can turn the pump off once the water begins flowing.
No, you can't. Doesn't work.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 15

Or we can run the pipe along the Pacific coast. No mountains.
Or tunnel through, or use pumps. But siphons aren't going to cut it.