1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '19 14:572 edits
    https://www.sott.net/article/406629-Cuomo-says-NY-tax-revenues-have-dropped-by-2-3-billion

I almost pity the baby killer......almost.

New York is losing billions due to over taxation?

I thought not having enough taxes is why they gave the boot to Amazon and Bezos and the 25,000 jobs?

Well, Cuomo, who once said America was never great, I'm sure can still win reelection in Libtard New York, either that or California.

Looks like New York needs to loosen those drug laws so that those who choose to stay in New York can self medicate.
  2. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 01:54
    @whodey said
    https://www.sott.net/article/406629-Cuomo-says-NY-tax-revenues-have-dropped-by-2-3-billion

I almost pity the baby killer......almost.

New York is losing billions due to over taxation?

I thought not having enough taxes is why they gave the boot to Amazon and Bezos and the 25,000 jobs?

Well, Cuomo, who once said America was never great, I'm sure can still win reelect ...[text shortened]... York needs to loosen those drug laws so that those who choose to stay in New York can self medicate.
    As conservative as I am, I really don’t see why tax breaks, usually seemingly given only to large corps and to overseas companies we are wooing to come here, can’t also somehow be sprinkled amongst the many average companies, maybe even hot dog stands in NYC. Impetus to grow. Good will. Makes one think the smart economists might not be seeing the big ‘planning’ picture, or have no vision.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 02:19
    @averagejoe1 said
    As conservative as I am, I really don’t see why tax breaks, usually seemingly given only to large corps and to overseas companies we are wooing to come here, can’t also somehow be sprinkled amongst the many average companies, maybe even hot dog stands in NYC. Impetus to grow. Good will. Makes one think the smart economists might not be seeing the big ‘planning’ picture, or have no vision.
    Just when I thought you were a total blockhead, you come up with a really good idea! Congratulations!
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 13:56
    @averagejoe1 said
    Jobs improve the economy.

Most jobs are given by small business, but jobs given via corporations also count.

What I don't understand is, why people like AOC are all bunged up over a $3 billion tax break, when Amazon will pay that much back in job revenue in just one year.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 14:37
    @whodey
    As much as you hate AOC, it wasn't her district that killed the Amazon deal. That is you just going full bore into strawman territory to push you POV.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 14:401 edit
    @whodey said
    Jobs improve the economy.

Most jobs are given by small business, but jobs given via corporations also count.

What I don't understand is, why people like AOC are all bunged up over a $3 billion tax break, when Amazon will pay that much back in job revenue in just one year.
    Maybe my calculator is broke but it says $3 billion divided by 25,000 = $120,000

Even assuming that Amazon created 25,000 jobs, are you seriously claiming that those jobs would have produced $120,000 a year in NYS and NYC tax revenue?
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 14:51
    @handyandy said
    Just when I thought you were a total blockhead, you come up with a really good idea! Congratulations!
    Thank you. I guess my views are in the minority here, which get me in a swivet on occasion, resulting in mini-train wrecks in my cortex, such as ‘right brain’ fielding a comment like ‘a baby is not a baby until it starts breathing air’, or some such. I promise to do better, maybe even shorten my stuff!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:58
    @no1marauder said
    Maybe my calculator is broke but it says $3 billion divided by 25,000 = $120,000

Even assuming that Amazon created 25,000 jobs, are you seriously claiming that those jobs would have produced $120,000 a year in NYS and NYC tax revenue?
    Ok, assuming salaries are half that, (I thought everyone in New York City made more due to insane taxation and cost of living), then the $3 billion would be back into the economy in 2 years.

So what?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 18:031 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @whodey
    As much as you hate AOC, it wasn't her district that killed the Amazon deal. That is you just going full bore into strawman territory to push you POV.
    Actually the media is the one to blame as they seem to give AOC all the credit.

I did some digging and guess what, Coumo blamed the state senate.

Just think, AOC is probably one of the moderates in that loony state.

Hilarious!

If the truth be know, every conservative on the planet loves AOC. She's like Sarah Palin of the Left, only, she never goes away and never will go away.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 18:211 edit
    @whodey said
    Ok, assuming salaries are half that, (I thought everyone in New York City made more due to insane taxation and cost of living), then the $3 billion would be back into the economy in 2 years.

So what?
    NYC has over 4 million private sector jobs. https://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/nyc/

Why, oh why, should it promise to give tax breaks worth up to $3 billion to a company for the possibility that over 10 years they would employ 25,000 more workers?:

“We won’t know for 10 years whether the promised 25,000 jobs will materialize,”

https://whyy.org/articles/gone-in-a-new-york-minute-how-the-amazon-deal-fell-apart/

I would rather see such tax breaks go to local businesses that create the vast majority of jobs in NYC rather than to a corporate monolith that pays no taxes at all, is hostile to organized labor and makes no commitment to hiring local workers.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 18:406 edits
    @no1marauder said
    NYC has over 4 million private sector jobs. https://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/nyc/

Why, oh why, should it promise to give tax breaks worth up to $3 billion to a company for the possibility that over 10 years they would employ 25,000 more workers?:

https://whyy.org/articles/gone-in-a-ne ...[text shortened]... pays no taxes at all, is hostile to organized labor and makes no commitment to hiring local workers.

Furthermore, they never promised 25,000 jobs; they said: "could be up to 25,000 jobs." We just saw how that worked out with Foxconn in Wisconsin. Wisconsin 'Scott Walker" give them four Billion in tax breaks; and now, Foxconn says Wisconsin workers will cost to much for the production jobs they said they would create; and now, Wisconsin is screwed and owes Billions in tax breaks to Foxconn. It is this kind of underhanded greed that is destroying America and capitalism all around.
    https://www.esquire.com/news politics/politics/a26088662/scott-walker-foxconn-wisconsin-jobs-billions/
    AOC and democrats in New York are right on!!! Bozo can take a hike to somewhere else.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 18:50
    @no1marauder said

At an average salary of $150K, I calculated that NYC would recoop their investment in about 2 years.
    And then there are the spinoff jobs that this center would create.

This is a great benefit.
    But too often opposition is fueled by anti-Capitalist sentiment.
    Often accompanied by the politics of envy.
    Simply because the type of employees drawn to these jobs are the highly skilled university trained people.
    Not exactly the hard working ordinary people that make up the fabric of the nation.
    Please excuse the tongue in cheek last sentence.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 19:09
    @mghrn55 said
    At an average salary of $150K, I calculated that NYC would recoop their investment in about 2 years.
    And then there are the spinoff jobs that this center would create.

This is a great benefit.
    But too often opposition is fueled by anti-Capitalist sentiment.
    Often accompanied by the politics of envy.
    Simply because the type of employees drawn to these jobs are the high ...[text shortened]... ary people that make up the fabric of the nation.
    Please excuse the tongue in cheek last sentence.
    You calculated wrong; $3 billion in tax breaks is not comparable to $3 billion in salary for obvious reasons. Furthermore, Amazon never said they would definitely add 25,000 more jobs in NYC; as the NYT pointed out it would take ten years before that was known. You are also assuming that the area where Amazon said they'd build on would remain permanently vacant and without any commercial enterprises - this is highly doubtful. Moreover, you failed to take into account negative externalities like increased traffic, strain on infrastructure, rent increases, etc. etc. etc.

It's kinda bizarre to be accused of "anti-Capitalist" sentiment just because you don't want government to give away the store to a trillion dollar company. It's hardly a laissez faire thingy to want government to subsidize Company A and not Company B, C, D, etc. etc. is it?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 19:21
    Part of the area earmarked for Amazon's 2nd HQ was to be the site of 1,500 units of affordable housing, which wouldn't have been built to accommodate a trillion dollar company:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/11/15/amazon-deal-will-disrupt-plans-for-affordable-housing-on-long-island-city-sites-700784
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 20:42
    @no1marauder said
    Part of the area earmarked for Amazon's 2nd HQ was to be the site of 1,500 units of affordable housing, which wouldn't have been built to accommodate a trillion dollar company:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/11/15/amazon-deal-will-disrupt-plans-for-affordable-housing-on-long-island-city-sites-700784
    One result of the pullout......Imagine the 'speculators' who were looking to cash in on the presence of Amazon, the guy who buys up some property for a parking garage or apartments or whatever, probably already got an architect lined up,....he has just lost his shirt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree