1. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 00:35
    @no1marauder said
    LMAO!

You want to limit immigration in the US based on race, but don't want to be called a "white nationalist"?

You truly are incredibly dishonest.

There are very few supporters of racial restrictions on immigration into the US; one doesn't have to be "far left" to oppose such racist policies.
    You are just thinking too narrowly on this -- you are obsessed with the idea of trying to create some angle where immigration policy always has to be interpreted as racist or not racist, when the real goal of immigration policy is coming up with the smartest plans that will benefit the native population the most, as well as potentially take care of a geopolitical crisis.

The argument was correctly made 5 years ago that Syrian refugees should largely be resettled in Muslim majority countries, and that by providing funding to the tune of something like $300-400 a month per refugee, yuo would be able to give them a greater standard of living in their new countries over a longer period of time at a cheaper price than you ever could in Europe.

Moreover, because they are from similar societies, they would assimilate sooner and there would be less cultural friction. There would also be a greater likelihood of return to Syria in the end -- a policy that would be beneficial to Syrians.

That's how I would describe the policy working.

But you reach for any example that you think is useful for throwing out the scarlet R -- this is a common tactic of the left, to whom denouncign something as racist is the only tactic worth employing.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 00:36
    @no1marauder said
    The "best policy" does not rely on such irrelevancies as "race" except to correct invidious discrimination towards members of a different "race".

Only a racist believes that limiting or even banning immigration from certain racial groups has positive effects on a nation.
    Right, my limitations involve cultural considerations.

I am not sure what a 'race' is. It can be defined differently.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 00:38
    @no1marauder said
    You seem to spend a fair bit of time spouting off on this Forum; maybe you could take 5 minutes to read this article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sex-redefined-the-idea-of-2-sexes-is-overly-simplistic1/

I'm not really interested in discussing the topic here (maybe another thread) except that it shows Wright's ideas are out of touch with modern biological ...[text shortened]... ece by failing to disclose he had outspokenly opposed "transgender ideology" in a WSJ opinion piece.
    Yes, I do interact with this forum more than I do with random articles that you post because it is more interesting. I am not sacrificing my time because yuo do not want to pull a quote.

I do not even see how scientists would logically advance such a position that there are more than two functioning biological sexes in higher mammals.

The concept is absurd.

Let me know if you change your mind.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 01:31
    @philokalia said
    You are just thinking too narrowly on this -- you are obsessed with the idea of trying to create some angle where immigration policy always has to be interpreted as racist or not racist, when the real goal of immigration policy is coming up with the smartest plans that will benefit the native population the most, as well as potentially take care of a geopolitical crisis. ...[text shortened]... ommon tactic of the left, to whom denouncign something as racist is the only tactic worth employing.
    Immigrants have been assimilating into the United States for hundreds of years just fine.

I feel no need to not call a policy racist which clearly is. Arbitrary limitation of those who can immigrate is no more rational than limiting who you hire or rent to because of what you euphemistically call "cultural differences".

Bigotry towards immigrants from certain countries is nothing new in American history but it remains shameful. If you are going to support white nationalist policies you shouldn't whine about those policies being called what they are.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 01:474 edits
    RE: "Colin Wright on Cancel Culture"

Who?

Never heard of him. Do or should his opinions carry greater weight that anyone else's?

It seems that he was not crabbing about cancel culture in general but over his sense of entitlement to an academic position being denied.

Edit:

Not surprising. I've met a small number of uppity and arrogant postdocs during my time in academia.

Yeah, it does seem like there might some "social contagion" going on with the recent flourishing of transgender experimentation, but so what?

Could just be a passing fad. Could be a correction and therapeutic blurring of an overly binary template. Could be completely inconsequential morally and ethically and spiritually.

"Where's your social template now, Moses?" 😉

Edit2: Further, what if gene mods become safe and affordable in the next decade or two? Why should anyone's physical self-determination be hampered by the crusty templates of a bunch of dusty-minded controlling religious biddies?
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 01:573 edits
    @zahlanzi said
    It's funny how they are whining now about a thing that has been around since human civilization began.

You say the wrong things, you suffer the consequences. Over time, we changed those consequences, and rightfully so, to no longer be "burn at the stake" or "hanging" to "i am not inviting that guy over for dinner next time."

In the 60's, 70's, 80's, whatever, in a de ...[text shortened]... illed with people who share your views.

Don't whine that you don't understand how society works.
    You explained it well early on.

However, especially now with the internet and social media, I think we need to check ourselves to make sure we really are on the right team and not just the winning team.

I'm an American, but in college I studied Russian literature, so am aware of situations where samizdat or complete silence might be needed to avoid the 3 AM knock at the door.

Kids have been driven to suicide by internet bullying, and adults are losing their jobs because they have the wrong ideas that might cause embarrassment for their employers. Which of course could lead to more suicides or other desperate actions.

What ever happened to: "You have the wrong idea, and this is why."?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:27
    @caesar-salad said
    Yeah, it does seem like there might some "social contagion" going on with the recent flourishing of transgender experimentation, but so what?

Could just be a passing fad. Could be a correction and therapeutic blurring of an overly binary template. Could be completely inconsequential morally and ethically and spiritually.

"Where's your social template now, Moses?" 😉
    Thenperhaps you would agree that, since he is at least partly right, it is wrong for us to slag & slander him?
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:331 edit
    @philokalia said
    Thenperhaps you would agree that, since he is at least partly right, it is wrong for us to slag & slander him?
    What are the areas where you think he is partly wrong?

Also, maybe his choice of career won't work out for him. Too bad he decided on one of the "soft" sciences instead of one of the more practical disciplines, where he could get a job in industry if academia didn't work out.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Thank goodness for your fascinating and remote observations from South Korea.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:46
    @caesar-salad said
    What are the areas where you think he is partly wrong?

Also, maybe his choice of career won't work out for him. Too bad he decided on one of the "soft" sciences instead of one of the more practical disciplines, where he could get a job in industry if academia didn't work out.
    (1) I am not really sure. I am not a subject matter expert. But I do agree that it does function, in some sense, as a 'social contagion.'

(2) Yeah man, gotta have those backups.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:54
    @philokalia said
    (1) I am not really sure. I am not a subject matter expert. But I do agree that it does function, in some sense, as a 'social contagion.'

(2) Yeah man, gotta have those backups.
    2) I hope you have yours. 😉

1) How do feel about religions as 'social contagions'?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 03:101 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    To a white nationalist, I'm sure it would.

But I see a host of cultures in the US, many which are non-European that are functioning well. Chinese were banned by law from immigrating to the US for decades because of simple minded bigotry like you exhibit, but seem to be doing mostly fine now. There are vibrant Muslim communities and South Asian ones. The US isn't your one big Euro dream, never actually was and it is a better place because of that.

Of course, there is a lot of systemic racism directed towards blacks but you don't seem to have much of a problem with that. But ideas like yours are slowing dying out and most of us are thankful for that.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 09:111 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    You explained it well early on.

However, especially now with the internet and social media, I think we need to check ourselves to make sure we really are on the right team and not just the winning team.

I'm an American, but in college I studied Russian literature, so am aware of situations where samizdat or complete silence might be needed to avoid the 3 AM knock ...[text shortened]... s or other desperate actions.

What ever happened to: "You have the wrong idea, and this is why."?
    "What ever happened to: "You have the wrong idea, and this is why."?"
    Nothing happened to it. Just that whoever still feeds you the notion that cancel culture is a thing that has replaced any civil discourse is lying to you and only offers you the bad examples.

In this very thread you hear the conservative whine about "the left" murdering free speech and then at the end he admits that actually there were a few students who did this and that he suffered no consequences

You heard about the internet outrage regarding Chappelle's second to last show, that the left is trying to cancel him , that young leftists can't take a joke anymore. What happened there? Did he get cancelled? Can you only get Chappelle's special on the black market? Do you go to prison for watching it?
    Nope. People still watched it. People still enjoyed it, at least parts of it, like any standup special. Chappelle made a lot of money, Netflix made a lot of money and the fact that i am now referring to this as "second to last" special gives you a hint that he must have made at least one more since then.

You hear people screaming on the internet, you think they are representative of the group they claim to belong to. That's your mistake.

I don't think trumpers are representative of American Conservatives, even if they claim to be. Why would you claim a few sensitive students on some campus are representative of the left?
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 09:34
    @no1marauder said
    But I see a host of cultures in the US, many which are non-European that are functioning well. Chinese were banned by law from immigrating to the US for decades because of simple minded bigotry like you exhibit, but seem to be doing mostly fine now. There are vibrant Muslim communities and South Asian ones. The US isn't your one big Euro dream, never actually was and it is a better place because of that.
    I don't exhibit bigotry. But I understand why it's imperative for you to accuse me of such : the religion of the modern left has strayed from Christianity and no longer even identifies with the Deism of the founding fathers and their love of rights, but is now centered around a theory of history which believes that the world is being repaired through globalized humanism.

It is not enough for man to be free, he has to be the new man who is post religious and post identity, and no system which is based on mere rights and minimal government can fill this role. A process must exist which reifies humanism and changes man. That process is multiculturalism.

This is how societies are recreated by being incorporated into a global free market with cheap labor, which pleases the capitalist and cultural Marxist alike: modernity crushes traditional existence and replaces God with n3w value systems, and the businessmen get rich while being Little Caesar.

I don't accept this dichotomy and I don't accept the accusation that I'm unhappy with minorities doing well in America or that I'm overly attached to race.

None of this matters, but what matters for governance is religio and culture, and the nation being adequately represented, not dominated and digested by global capital and atomized by globalized pop consumerism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree