1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 16:431 edit
    @Duchess64

This is minor, compared to what has happened and is currently unfolding in Tigray Ethiopia. Same thing.
    And I dare say, Syria and Libya are brutal battle grounds, as well.

I can get updates from Reuters on Tigray, but the per usual NYT and CNN...? Forgeddaboudit
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 17:55
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    In colonial times, Burma had an actual Jewish community as well, after Jews migrated to Rangoon / Yangon from Iraq and Cochin in India. The historic Sofaer Building in Pansodan Street in Yangon is testament to the wealth and prestige of the city's Jewish merchant class in the early twentieth century. A member of the Sofaer family served as Mayor of Yangon in the 1930s. The Burmese Jewish community numbered 2500 at its peak in 1940. During the Japanese occupation, many Jews relocated from Burma to India; others left after Ne Win's regime embarked on a nationalisation programme in the 1960s.

Today, there are less than 20 Jews remaining in Yangon, but the late-nineteenth-century Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue still stands and occasionally hosts services (usually with the assistance of foreign tourists or staff at the Israeli embassy to make up a minyan). Most sources will tell you that this is the only synagogue remaining in Myanmar, but while it is the only still active Jewish house of worship, a 1930s building which formerly served as a synagogue can still be seen in the old part of Kyaukme, northeast of Mandalay.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 19:121 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree