Can the new AG do his job?

Can the new AG do his job?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Nov 18
1 edit

Mr. Whitaker has not been named to some junior post one or two levels below the Justice Department’s top job. He has now been vested with the law enforcement authority of the entire United States government, including the power to supervise Senate-confirmed officials like the deputy attorney general, the solicitor general and all United States attorneys.

I'd like to hear from the legal guy's here on this. SH76 and No1Maruder - Does the new A.G. have the right to simply step in and run everything an A.G. normally does without Senate Confirmation? Does his past comments and deeds about the Mueller probe weigh into this at all, or is it just noise? Are there any other legal hurdles he needs to jump over before he takes this job permanently? I'd like to hear from the lawyers on this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 18

@mchill said
Mr. Whitaker has not been named to some junior post one or two levels below the Justice Department’s top job. He has now been vested with the law enforcement authority of the entire United States government, including the power to supervise Senate-confirmed officials like the deputy attorney general, the solicitor general and all United States attorneys.

I'd like to hear fr ...[text shortened]...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html
Due to his past comments about Mueller's investigation, he should probably recuse himself as Sessions did, but he knows that'll put a burr in his boss's shorts, so I doubt he will.

Read a book!

Moves
09 Nov 18

@mchill said

Whitaker can serve without Senate confirmation for 210 days.
He's there to protect Trump until a qualified AG is appointed.

Moves
09 Nov 18

@handyandy said
Whitaker can serve without Senate confirmation for 210 days.
He's there to protect Trump until a qualified AG is appointed.
oh poor baby... LOL

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
09 Nov 18

@mchill said

What HandyAndy said.

He can serve for up to 210 days before Trump has to either appoint someone new or get him confirmed by the Senate.

Until then, he can do anything an AG could do. He is acting AG.

I don't think his past comments about Mueller will matter much except insofar as it may make some Senators less likely to confirm him.

Still, with (likely) 53 or 54 GOP senators, none of which are named Corker, Flake or McCain, I imagine Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
09 Nov 18
1 edit

@sh76 said
Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.
Christie will probably bring one to his confirmation hearing.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
09 Nov 18

@sleepyguy said
Christie will probably bring one to his confirmation hearing.
Nice! 😆

K

Germany

Moves
09 Nov 18

@sh76 said
What HandyAndy said.

He can serve for up to 210 days before Trump has to either appoint someone new or get him confirmed by the Senate.

Until then, he can do anything an AG could do. He is acting AG.

I don't think his past comments about Mueller will matter much except insofar as it may make some Senators less likely to confirm him.

Still, with (likely) 53 or 54 GOP ...[text shortened]... med Corker, Flake or McCain, I imagine Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.
Why isn't there just an immediate vote on the interim appointment?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
09 Nov 18

@kazetnagorra said
Time is needed to locate his rape accuser.

K

Germany

Moves
09 Nov 18

@sleepyguy said
Time is needed to locate his rape accuser.
Have they found Gorsuch's yet?

Moves
09 Nov 18

@kazetnagorra said
you are displaying complete ignorance of how our system works.

Read a book!

Moves
09 Nov 18

@kazetnagorra said
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44997.pdf

This refers to the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998. See Page 11.