Blindness, not physically blind

Blindness, not physically blind

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
02 Oct 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
So are you suggesting an IQ test at pre-school age and leave the bottom halve to rot? or are you suggesting that resources be targeted at those who need the most support in order to attain a viable level of education?
Is that what they do in Germany?

d

Moves
02 Oct 12

So are you suggesting an IQ test at pre-school age and leave the bottom halve to rot? or are you suggesting that resources be targeted at those who need the most support in order to attain a viable level of education?
What's wrong with recognizing a child's limitations or their potential? My son's school has excellent facilities for disabled students, but offers nothing for students who are above the cut. Why can't we have special programs for bright kids also? Of course, such programs should be based on ability and nothing else. It would make sense to me if public schools offered excellent programs for all students that needed them. Isn't that what public schools are supposed to be doing?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
02 Oct 12

Originally posted by dryhump
All I claim is that I don't let the GOP do my thinking like most democrats I know. My son's school has excellent facilities for disabled students, but offers nothing for students who are above the cut. Why can't we have special programs for bright kids also? Of course, such programs should be based on ability and nothing else. It would make sense to m ...[text shortened]... for all students that needed them. Isn't that what public schools are supposed to be doing?[/b]
"What's wrong with recognizing a child's limitations or their potential?"

Nothing at all, that is the ideal in my country, i.e extra help for remedial pupils, and stretching the the more academically advanced ones, not that they always achieve the ideal. Do you think that is what the thread post is arguing for?

Eladar is skulking behind Germany at the moment rather than man up and state his argument.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
02 Oct 12

Originally posted by Eladar
Is that what they do in Germany?
I have no Idea you mentioned Germany.

E

Moves
02 Oct 12

I have no Idea you mentioned Germany.
Do you know how the Germans run their school system?

B

Moves
02 Oct 12

Do you know how the Germans run their school system?
Yet why put money into people who are hopelessly blind

Do you think this is what is done in the German school system ? Cutting pupils because they can't meet some minimum standard ?

E

Moves
02 Oct 12

Originally posted by Barts
[b]Yet why put money into people who are hopelessly blind

Do you think this is what is done in the German school system ? Cutting pupils because they can't meet some minimum standard ?[/b]
That's exactly what German schools do. They break kids up into three different groups, two of which can still go on to University. One groups goes on to other stuff.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Oct 12

What's wrong with recognizing a child's limitations or their potential? My son's school has excellent facilities for disabled students, but offers nothing for students who are above the cut. Why can't we have special programs for bright kids also? Of course, such programs should be based on ability and nothing else. It would make sense to me if public scho ...[text shortened]... or all students that needed them. Isn't that what public schools are supposed to be doing?
There are lots of schools for gifted kids.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
03 Oct 12

That's exactly what German schools do. They break kids up into three different groups, two of which can still go on to University. One groups goes on to other stuff.
At what age?

B

Moves
03 Oct 12

Apologies for not being clear enough. A better wording would have been "Do you think this is what is done in the German school system ? Throwing pupils out because they can't meet some minimum standard ?"

Your first post strongly implies that you are against "putting any money into the hopelessly blind". The German system on the other hand provides very good schools for these weakest pupils. (Incidentally, Belgium has a similar system as Germany. The vocational schools cost a lot more to run per pupil than the ones preparing kids for University.)

d

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There are lots of schools for gifted kids.
Lot's of public schools geared toward gifted kids? I've looked in my area because my son is already bored to tears in second grade. We aren't rich so private schools are out.

K

Germany

Moves
03 Oct 12

Lot's of public schools geared toward gifted kids? I've looked in my area because my son is already bored to tears in second grade. We aren't rich so private schools are out.
Can't you ask the teachers to give your son extra exercises? I went to a simple public school in a small village but could read, write and do sums at the age of 5.

q

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Can't you ask the teachers to give your son extra exercises? I went to a simple public school in a small village but could read, write and do sums at the age of 5.
There is a big difference between being in a class room designed for people like you and being in the wrong classroom and be given extra exercises. The trend away from tracking prevents teachers from being able to target a lesson to the level of their students. It forces some students to go too fast and others too slow. It makes it extra boring for those on either extreme.

E

Moves
03 Oct 12

At what age?
I think the first break is about 3rd or 4th grade, the next break is at middle school.

E

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by Barts
Apologies for not being clear enough. A better wording would have been "Do you think this is what is done in the German school system ? Throwing pupils out because they can't meet some minimum standard ?"

Your first post strongly implies that you are against "putting any money into the hopelessly blind". The German system on the other hand provides very goo ...[text shortened]... onal schools cost a lot more to run per pupil than the ones preparing kids for University.)
In the US our approach is that everyone is capable of going to college and that we are going to offer vocational training to those who want it.

We waste money every year giving extra help for kids who have absolutely no chance of learning enough to go to college so that they can pass classes in high school. Sure, the kids pass, but they don't learn.

Germans kick kids out of college prep schools and into vocational technology schools. This is how it appears from the US perspective.