1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 May '21 03:03
    @sh76 said
    But to the underlying point:

What if a new variant makes development of a complex booster necessary. If you're Moderna, do you spend a hundred million dollars to develop the booster when you know you're not going to be able to control its production anyway?
    Considering how much money they've made so far probably

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/moderna-reports-17-billion-in-covid-19-vaccine-sales-posts-first-profit-ever-2021-05-06
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 May '21 04:45
    A very interesting subject.
    When I heard about it yesterday, I took a wee nose dive into the subject. I mean, who could be opposed to waivering patents like this during a pandemic, when the longer it can fester without vaccinations, the higher the chances of mutating to an extent the vaccinations don’t work?

Well, first of all, tax payers dollars have been pumped into the vaccination research. So there is something to be said that it’s ethical to waiver the patents.

A different point, seemingly, is that the slower roll-out in poorer nations has nothing to do with the patent at all, but there’s just not enough labs of sufficient quality to actually produce the needed vaccinations. So, waivering the patents won’t solve that problem.

Personally, I don’t see how not waivering the patents is going to make the situation better. So, in general, I think Biden’s step is a good one. Certainly since we’ve all helped pay for the research.

Now, if we all just get labs and equipment up and running all over the planet, we can start the mass production needed to stop corona and corona 2.0 when it rolls around in a few years’ time.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    07 May '21 09:151 edit
    @shavixmir said
    A very interesting subject.
    When I heard about it yesterday, I took a wee nose dive into the subject. I mean, who could be opposed to waivering patents like this during a pandemic, when the longer it can fester without vaccinations, the higher the chances of mutating to an extent the vaccinations don’t work?

Well, first of all, tax payers dollars have been pumped into t ...[text shortened]... the mass production needed to stop corona and corona 2.0 when it rolls around in a few years’ time.
    Well it might make it economically viable to build high quality production facilities in the developing / third world which would increase availability where it is desperately needed and kick start a high tec industry base in places wher they are desperately needed.
    My worry is wether quality control is lost with the patent, but the patents have expired on many medicines that’s why GPs are always dishing out cheaper generic versions and I assume / hope that they are produced to a minimum standard.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 09:49
    @sonhouse said
    @vivify
    Germany and the EU are currently against it. I assume therefore they are putting money ahead of Covid deaths.
    To live in your world of absolutes, of black and white morality must be easy on the intellect.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 10:001 edit
    What an interesting topic, thanks OP.

A few of my initial thoughts:

- AZ are selling their vaccine at cost price anyway
    - patents are their to protect investment, removing them will discourage investment by the drug firms. Yes it will.
    - this will be a problem because covid ain’t going away and will remain a big threat for the foreseeable future with variants etc
    - the tax dollar investment is a good point morally but I’m not sure it stands up in practical terms, at least not when pulled as a joker card by government desperate to win political points (sorry my cynicism sees cynicism everywhere)
    - Kev is right about quality control because Shav is right about manufacturing. Making this stuff is molecular rocket science, making in in billions of doses is requires billions of $

This whole thing smacks of politics rather than a thought through idea. Nevertheless it’s moral positive, but is it achievable and will it backfire.

Maybe cost price plus A LOT of investment in manufacturing is the way. But here’s the question will the globally self-aware public put their tax money where their morals are???
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '21 10:28
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well it might make it economically viable to build high quality production facilities in the developing / third world which would increase availability where it is desperately needed and kick start a high tec industry base in places wher they are desperately needed.
    My worry is wether quality control is lost with the patent, but the patents have expired on many medicines th ...[text shortened]... shing out cheaper generic versions and I assume / hope that they are produced to a minimum standard.
    A recipe for more corruption among already crooked third world politicians
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 May '21 11:09
    @sh76 said
    They're not claiming the power either.

Notice the language "administration's support." They're not claiming they can do this unilaterally.

To clarify what I said above, the US is a signatory of TRIPS, which member states agree to enforce the patents of member states. The Biden administration can withdraw from TRIPS, at least with regard to the COVAX. It can also encourage ...[text shortened]... n't unilaterally make a blanket prohibition on patent enforcement and they're not claiming they can.
    Thank you for clearling that up.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 May '21 11:10
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Thank you as well.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    07 May '21 11:30
    @rajk999 said
    A recipe for more corruption among already crooked third world politicians
    Well it’ll mean the corrupt politicians of the 1st world can take a break.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 May '21 11:491 edit
    @sh76 said
    Biden doesn't have the ability to unilaterally waive COVID patents. He can withdraw or suspend cooperation in TRIPS, but he can't stop private companies from suing to enforce their patent rights.
    Executive order. He doesnt have authority to set immigration policy either. Being illegal hasnt stopped him yet.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 May '21 12:05
    @mott-the-hoople said
    Executive order. He doesnt have authority to set immigration policy either. Being illegal hasnt stopped him yet.
    He can't stop people from suing in federal court by executive order. There would be no constitutional mechanism for him to stop people's lawsuits.

Immigration is different. He can't change the law, but he can instruct the DHS to stop enforcing it.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 May '21 12:18
    @sh76 said
    He can't stop people from suing in federal court by executive order. There would be no constitutional mechanism for him to stop people's lawsuits.

Immigration is different. He can't change the law, but he can instruct the DHS to stop enforcing it.
    "He can't stop people from suing in federal court by executive order."

dont bet on it.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 May '21 12:31
    @sh76 said

"He can't change the law, but he can instruct the DHS to stop enforcing it."

He doesnt have the authority to do that either.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 May '21 14:43
    @sh76 said
    Biden doesn't have the ability to unilaterally waive COVID patents. He can withdraw or suspend cooperation in TRIPS, but he can't stop private companies from suing to enforce their patent rights.
    WRONG!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_patent_use_(United_States)
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 May '21 14:46
    @vivify said
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-patent-waiver-biden/

Biden administration to support waiving COVID-19 patents

U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai has announced the administration's support for waiving intellectual property protections for COVID-19 vaccines. Waiving patent protections has gained traction, especially among progressives, as COVI ...[text shortened]... pate in text-based negotiations at the World Trade Organization needed to make that happen."
    Not really. At least not anytime soon. Just another lip service to convince you it will happen soon. It will not.

Biden is intentionally dragging his feet. Think years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree