1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '21 19:57
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-patent-waiver-biden/

Biden administration to support waiving COVID-19 patents

U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai has announced the administration's support for waiving intellectual property protections for COVID-19 vaccines. Waiving patent protections has gained traction, especially among progressives, as COVID-19 continues to spread in countries like India and Brazil.

It's a move that could have a significant impact for pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, and for other countries as most of the world continues to struggle with access to the vaccine. The humanitarian crisis in India as it wages war with the virus has put particular pressure on the U.S. to waive vaccine patents.

The announcement allows for negotiations to begin at the World Trade Organization. Dozens of countries have made a proposal to waive parts of the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights. But some wealthier nations, including the U.S., hadn't expressed support for the idea.

"This is a global health crisis, and the extraordinary circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic call for extraordinary measures," Tai said in a statement. "The administration believes strongly in intellectual property protections, but in service of ending this pandemic, supports the waiver of those protections for COVID-19 vaccines. We will actively participate in text-based negotiations at the World Trade Organization needed to make that happen."
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '21 20:00
    Beautiful move.

The implications of this are pretty staggering. This sets a precedent for similar acts in the future with other life-saving drugs.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '21 20:03
    @vivify
    Germany and the EU are currently against it. I assume therefore they are putting money ahead of Covid deaths.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:00
    @vivify said
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-patent-waiver-biden/

Biden administration to support waiving COVID-19 patents

U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai has announced the administration's support for waiving intellectual property protections for COVID-19 vaccines. Waiving patent protections has gained traction, especially among progressives, as COVI ...[text shortened]... pate in text-based negotiations at the World Trade Organization needed to make that happen."
    Biden doesn't have the ability to unilaterally waive COVID patents. He can withdraw or suspend cooperation in TRIPS, but he can't stop private companies from suing to enforce their patent rights.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:05
    @vivify said
    Beautiful move.

The implications of this are pretty staggering. This sets a precedent for similar acts in the future with other life-saving drugs.
    That precedent was set when insulin was invented
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:12
    @vivify said
    Beautiful move.

Yep, nice as it sounds would it not discourage future investment. I wonder how many have lost millions "trying" to develop a vaccine. Now those that succeed may even lose money.
    Just wondering, not sure how this game works.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:42
    @jimmac said
    Yep, nice as it sounds would it not discourage future investment.
    It would. Drug companies don't invent medicine out of altruism, it's all about profit.

There has to be some kind of middle ground where Big Pharma can profit without making people choose between food and death. But for now, I like this move from Biden.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:44
    @sh76 said
    Biden doesn't have the ability to unilaterally waive COVID patents.
    I thought the same thing at first; but (so far) this administration doesn't strike me as the type that just announces acts it has no power to follow through on. So I gave it Biden the benefit of the doubt.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 May '21 23:50
    @vivify said
    I thought the same thing at first; but (so far) this administration doesn't strike me as the type that just announces acts it has no power to follow through on. So I gave it Biden the benefit of the doubt.
    A good example of reading and not understanding. Biden / the US, is going to cast is vote in favour of waiving patents for Covid. Thats all the power they have. There are over 150 member countries, many who will vote in favour of patented Covid drugs.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 May '21 00:02
    @vivify said
    They're not claiming the power either.

Notice the language "administration's support." They're not claiming they can do this unilaterally.

To clarify what I said above, the US is a signatory of TRIPS, which member states agree to enforce the patents of member states. The Biden administration can withdraw from TRIPS, at least with regard to the COVAX. It can also encourage Congress to carve an exception to the patent protection. There are also a couple of decades-old federal laws under which they can make patent enforcement uncomfortable or restricted. But they can't unilaterally make a blanket prohibition on patent enforcement and they're not claiming they can.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 May '21 00:04
    But to the underlying point:

What if a new variant makes development of a complex booster necessary. If you're Moderna, do you spend a hundred million dollars to develop the booster when you know you're not going to be able to control its production anyway?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 May '21 00:05
    @rajk999 said
    A good example of reading and not understanding. Biden / the US, is going to cast is vote in favour of waiving patents for Covid. Thats all the power they have. There are over 150 member countries, many who will vote in favour of patented Covid drugs.
    What "vote"?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '21 00:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    07 May '21 02:32
    @vivify
    U.S. tax payers spent around 18 billion on vaccine development. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-23/how-much-is-the-trump-administration-spending-on-a-vaccine
    I think that gives the U.S. government the right to waive intellectual property rights so the as many people on the planet as possible get vaccinated as quickly as possible. This is not only a humanitarian crisis. It is a global economic crisis. The longer we wait to vaccinate populations in poor countries, the more likely a variant resistant to the current vaccines will emerge. By the way, those third world countries are impoverished due to rich colonial western countries.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '21 02:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree