1. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 23:09
    @kazetnagorra said
    You have admitted reading both VDARE and American Renaissance, both frothing-at-the-mouth white supremacist publications.
    It's transparently laughable to put all these things in the same category
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 23:14
    @kazetnagorra said
    Victims of Hate Crime Incidents

There were 7,036 single-bias incidents involving 8,646 victims. A percent distribution of victims by bias type shows that 59.6 percent of victims were targeted because of the offenders’ race/ethnicity/ancestry bias; 18.7 percent were targeted because of the offenders’ religious bias; 16.7 percent were victimized because of the offenders ...[text shortened]... motivation would you have for attempting to minimize the scale of hate crimes in the U.S., I wonder?
    It'd be impossible to find the numbers on hate hoaxes as they occur on the day to day.... But the number of famous cases that I've seen be proven hoaxes is greater than the number of times I've seen them come out to be real.

I would assume that there's just as many fakr accusations of racism and other faked events that we never hear about.

I've even witnessed a hate hoax that was never reported. My black friend was playing a prank on one of his buddies by shouting the N word (hard R) every time he walked by his apartment (they lived near each other) and was then laughing secretly each time his buddy complained to him about some unknown racist yelling the n word at him. Honestly, it was pretty funny.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 23:15
    @kazetnagorra said
    Given the WSJ's endorsement of conspiracy theories and racists, I would say it is a questionable publication though not a white supremacist one.
    The WSJ endorses racists?

Could you elaborate?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 23:42
    @philokalia said
    It'd be impossible to find the numbers on hate hoaxes as they occur on the day to day.... But the number of famous cases that I've seen be proven hoaxes is greater than the number of times I've seen them come out to be real.

I would assume that there's just as many fakr accusations of racism and other faked events that we never hear about.

I've even witnessed a hate ...[text shortened]... omplained to him about some unknown racist yelling the n word at him. Honestly, it was pretty funny.
    This type of anecdotal "hold yer breath until you turn blue" is typical of right wing arguments. There isn't even an attempt to quantify their automatic suspicion of any minority who says they are a victim of a hate crime; they just won't believe it, period.

It is most atypical in almost all other cases of crime for people to automatically be skeptical of victims reporting except perhaps for rape.
  5. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 00:041 edit
    @no1marauder said
    This type of anecdotal "hold yer breath until you turn blue" is typical of right wing arguments. There isn't even an attempt to quantify their automatic suspicion of any minority who says they are a victim of a hate crime; they just won't believe it, period.

It is most atypical in almost all other cases of crime for people to automatically be skeptical of victims reporting except perhaps for rape.
    You obviously didn't read the WSJ article, it WAS an attempt to quantify the suspicion of hate crime claims.
    The author investigated 350 at random and found almost 70% were bogus.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 00:50
    Here's a funny "hate crime" related story i just saw on Twitter

https://amp.dailycaller.com/2020/07/13/oregon-us-attorneys-office-white-power-symbol-portland-trailblazers-poster
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:28
    @dood111 said
    You obviously didn't read the WSJ article, it WAS an attempt to quantify the suspicion of hate crime claims.
    The author investigated 350 at random and found almost 70% were bogus.
    I've read material on the propaganda book that is being discussed; rather than do any type of actual research using official police records, the author selectively pulled out news articles.

If I had tried that as an undergrad Poly Sci student, I would have gotten a well deserved "F" but because his "results" fit into the right wing narrative, he got showtime on the usual media suspects.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 02:45
    @no1marauder said
    I've read material on the propaganda book that is being discussed; rather than do any type of actual research using official police records, the author selectively pulled out news articles.
    Source?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 03:182 edits
    @philokalia said
    Source?
    "In Hoax, Professor Wilfred Reilly examines over one hundred widely publicized incidents of so-called hate crimes that never actually happened."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6RN7Y4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"Doing research for a book, Hate Crime Hoax, I was able to easily put together a data set of 409 confirmed hate hoaxes. An overlapping but substantially different list of 348 hoaxes exists at fakehatecrimes.org, and researcher Laird Wilcox put together another list of at least 300 in his still-contemporary book Crying Wolf. To put these numbers in context, a little over 7,000 hate crimes were reported by the FBI in 2017 and perhaps 8-10% of these are widely reported enough to catch the eye of a national researcher."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-empire-attack-fired-cut-video-chicago-fox-column/2950146002/

Lazy and unprofessional. His "data set" of 400 cases was over an 8 year period:

Reilly put together a data set of more than 400 confirmed cases of fake allegations that were reported to authorities between 2010 and 2017.

https://www.thetimesnews.com/opinion/20200409/williams-many-manipulated-with-racism-hoaxes

How many hate crimes are there in the US?:

"On average, U.S. residents experienced approximately
    250,000 hate crime victimizations each year between
    2004 and 2015, of which about 230,000 were violent hate victimizations."

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/hcv0415.pdf

So about 2 million hate crimes by victimization studies and Mr. Reading the Papers found 400 he says were false.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:45
    Another fun hate hoax, also just came across it in the last couple of days

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1282679248998797312?s=19
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:46
    @philokalia said
    I don't know... Like, five hate hoaxes for every hate crime...?
    Perhaps that’s a number you should be researching instead of basing your argument on such idle speculation?
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:49
    @philokalia said
    Another fun hate hoax, also just came across it in the last couple of days

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1282679248998797312?s=19
    No1 just squashed you.
    Give up.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:57
    @shavixmir said
    No1 just squashed you.
    Give up.
    LOL, how so?
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:57
    Nearly three weeks after an alleged racist attack on a biracial woman in Downtown Madison, police and the woman’s family are saying little to nothing about whether the authorities are any closer to identifying the perpetrators.

Unlike in other unsolved cases, police have not released any images from surveillance cameras that might have recorded the attack or the assailants.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-family-saying-little-about-investigation-of-alleged-hate-crime/article_19d1508e-2916-54bf-9b86-bb662d9447b6.html
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Jul '20 04:58
    @no1marauder said
    "In Hoax, Professor Wilfred Reilly examines over one hundred widely publicized incidents of so-called hate crimes that never actually happened."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6RN7Y4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"Doing research for a book, Hate Crime Hoax, I was able to easily put together a data set of 409 confirmed hate hoaxes. An overlapping but su ...[text shortened]... illion hate crimes by victimization studies and Mr. Reading the Papers found 400 he says were false.
    Where's the criticism?

That he used famous cases that reached newspapers which could be researched?

Is it your contention that the newspapers just don't report on the REAL hate crimes?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree