$10K today... tomorrow:?

$10K today... tomorrow:?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STS

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by kmax87
C4 for the apocalypse Sam?
It was a ref to The Graduate you're probably not old enough to get it.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
It was a ref to The Graduate you're probably not old enough to get it.
you are right.... I was barely six when that salacious tale of steamy milfdom first premiered...

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
If you had $10K today, where would you invest it for the next year?
Nissan and Mitsubishi....(the Leaf and iMiev respectively).

This is the year of the EV!!!

P

Moves
11 Jan 11
1 edit

I'd put it into solar panels (in the UK there are some very positive feed-in-tariffs) for a long term investment and that positive green feeling!

PS : Have you seen the Citreon C0?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
11 Jan 11

Both privately held, I'm afraid.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
11 Jan 11

Both privately held, I'm afraid.
Lithium power pack manufacturers??

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by whodey
If you think that gold is going to 2000 in the next 4-5 years, which is a no brainer, think about Angico-Eagle (AEM). Simply put, they are the best at what they do. Another stock that has already had a good run is Freport McMoRan (FCX).

Also consider energy such as a Natty gas stock or maybe a solar stock. First solar (FSLR) is one of the best.

Of co ...[text shortened]... As for Ford, they have already had a good run. The questoin then becomes, how long can it last?
Gold's a tough one to call right now.

AEM's dropped off slightly since Barclay's raised their target price on them--- yet still a bit pricey to consider any big spurts of growth.

First Solar is super pricey and looks a little tight to their ceiling, unless something unusual happens for them. The swings they've had in the past might be behind them, and if that's the case, I don't see a large uptick.

I'm actually leaning more toward Ford than GM simply because of the price. They're certainly not going anywhere, and they are finally offering some enticing cars: who woulda thunk they'd actually listen to their customers!

Thanks for those insights, though; I've added them to my 'watch' portfolio, and will continue to monitor them.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by PRW
....PS : Have you seen the Citreon C0?
yeah it looks like a first cousin of the iMiev

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
11 Jan 11

Lithium power pack manufacturers??
That's kind of what I'm looking for: the next burgeoning field. I'm still a little leery of alt energy, simply because the field is littered with them without a clear-cut leader among the lot. Without some momentous directional establishment, it's nearly impossible to be correct about picking the right boat. I think you're right, though: a tidal wave is coming and while it will momentarily lift all boats, many of them will be swamped.

Anyone you like in particular?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
11 Jan 11

I think you might be on to something here, but I'm also thinking you're missing the price throughout '08. Last time it was in the 50's was back in '07. Now that the government is exiting, there may be a healthy uptick in the stock.
Yep I read the chart wrong. It was '07.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
11 Jan 11

That's kind of what I'm looking for: the next burgeoning field. I'm still a little leery of alt energy, simply because the field is littered with them without a clear-cut leader among the lot. Without some momentous directional establishment, it's nearly impossible to be correct about picking the right boat. I think you're right, though: a tidal wave is ...[text shortened]... momentarily lift all boats, many of them will be swamped.

Anyone you like in particular?
A123 Systems and LG Chem.

I'm waiting for Carbon Nano tube technology to mature though.

Because the cost of the batteries are a significant proportion of the total cost of the vehicle, investing in the companies that are setting up to lease the batteries may be the way to go. Like Greenstop and Think Car.

The power utilities themselves may want to get in on the act themselves, helping to subsidize the battery cost in order to profit from your increased use of their energy.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
11 Jan 11
1 edit

Gold's a tough one to call right now.

AEM's dropped off slightly since Barclay's raised their target price on them--- yet still a bit pricey to consider any big spurts of growth.

First Solar is super pricey and looks a little tight to their ceiling, unless something unusual happens for them. The swings they've had in the past might be behind them, a though; I've added them to my 'watch' portfolio, and will continue to monitor them.
Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) is handy for surfing the gold waves. SIVR for silver.

M

Moves
11 Jan 11

pay off all your debts - then invest in an index fund.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
11 Jan 11

Originally posted by Melanerpes
pay off all your debts - then invest in an index fund.
So sensible and, . . . . . boring. 🙂

Though an index fund might not be a bad plan. The 3rd year of a presidential term is historically a good year for the market.

Annualized returns by year of the presidential term for the DOW from 1900 to 2009.

1st year 5.5%
2nd year 3.7%
3rd year (this yr) 12.6%
4th year 7.5%

Presidential 3rd years for the NASDAQ

2007 +10.28 %
2003 + 50.04%
1999 + 85.63%
1995 + 39.89%
1991 + 56.68%

F

Moves
11 Jan 11

If you had $10K today, where would you invest it for the next year?
Selling fresh Japanese onigiri in all Circle K outlets in Indonesian cities.