Yo la Tango

Yo la Tango

Culture

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
13 Oct 09

Any fans of this group. I guess I'm late to the party for this band but they're kind of interesting. I'm going to the library to listen to a few CDs of theirs. I mihght be a real fan in a day or two...or not. Critical darlings I'm lead to believe.

d

Moves
13 Oct 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Any fans of this group. I guess I'm late to the party for this band but they're kind of interesting. I'm going to the library to listen to a few CDs of theirs. I mihght be a real fan in a day or two...or not. Critical darlings I'm lead to believe.
No, but I am a fan of Yo La Tengo. 😉 And yes, you're a bit late as they've been around for over 20 years.

Favourite albums of theirs are: Painful, I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out - all from the nineties.

Favourite song: The Crying of Lot G

Early stuff is heavy on the Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth influence. Later records are more refined.

Moves
13 Oct 09

D
incipit parodia

Moves
13 Oct 09

Massive fan - going to see them (for the second time) next month. I'd agree that I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and And Then Nothing turned Itself Inside Out are excellent (the former is a favourite album, period and the second is great, even if it is one long riff on Autumn Sweater from I Can Hear the Heart...).

Other albums worth listening to are Electropura (rivals I Can Hear the Heart in my affections) and the new one, Popular Songs.

The three CD Prisoners of Love is a sort of best of/rerecordings/b-sides and rarities thing, but it's probably a good place to start, actually.

It's just great quality, American indie, inventive guitar music, and they've evolved a lot over the years. It's just a shame none of them can really sing...

d

Moves
13 Oct 09

Originally posted by DrKF
It's just great quality, American indie, inventive guitar music, and they've evolved a lot over the years. It's just a shame none of them can really sing...
Heh. Especially live, Georgia and Ira don't really project all that well, but I absolutely love the understated "hushiness" of their vocals on the records. It makes a big part of their sound.

Also recommended (for a laugh or light-hearted listen) is the 'Yo La Tengo is Murdering the Classics' album.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Oct 09

I picked up "I am not afraid of you and I will beat yout a**" And a collection called "prisoners of Love" with some outtakes.

Illinois

Moves
22 Oct 09

They're talented musicians, to be sure. Caught a live show last year and was impressed with how they switched instruments almost every song. My favorite album by them is, "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out."

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Oct 09

Yeah I got the "heart beating.." album. I really like it and enjoy the sheer variety of their music. Which album of theirs should be on my list to get?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Oct 09
1 edit

I haven't listened to any of their records, but I just saw their performance on the concert series "A Beautiful Noise" (a televised concert series filmed at the Berkeley Church in Toronto), and I have to say they suck balls live. Everyone tells me their records are much better. I will endeavour to find out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.