what sci-fi are you reading?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 10

Just finished F.M. Busby's 'the breeds of man'.
Also Mary Doria Russell's 'The Sparrow' and 'Children of God'

F

Moves
05 Mar 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
Philip K. Dick: Second Variety

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
05 Mar 10

I don't read sci-fi

F

Moves
05 Mar 10

Originally posted by Seitse
I don't read sci-fi
This does not answer the OP question. It merely explains why you can't answer it.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Mar 10

Just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

SS

Moves
09 Mar 10

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Mar 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
Brilliant character, I will have to check up on him. We were both in the middle east in 1990, too bad I missed seeing him there, but he was a kid then.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Just finished Ubik. Interesting but I think it's one of those books with a great idea but which the author couldn't really wrap it up.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10
1 edit

No author is exactly like another (sorry for spouting the obvious) but I would probably say William Gibson is close. Maybe a bit of PKD on speed. Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive and The Difference Engine are great.

Moves
11 Mar 10

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Mar 10

What is the gist of that story?

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

just finished rereading Pohl's Starburst.

d

Out there somewhere

Moves
17 Mar 10
1 edit

Ha, I went on a bit of a PKD binge too, started with Ubik have since read about 10 of his books and have another 5 on my shelf, never read them back to back though as his style is very distinct and it would probably put me off him.. Favourites so far are Ubik, Valis, A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, Time Out joint and The Divine Invasion.

Read Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes just recently and enjoyed it, just reading The City & the City by China Miéville now, like the way it's going so far anyway..

d

Out there somewhere

Moves
17 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by dk3nny
Ha, I went on a bit of a PKD binge too, started with Ubik have since read about 10 of his books and have another 5 on my shelf, never read them back to back though as his style is very distinct and it would probably put me off him.. Favourites so far are Ubik, Valis, A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, Time Out joint and The Divine Invasion.
...[text shortened]... just reading The City & the City by China Miéville now, like the way it's going so far anyway..
Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon is a bit of an epic too, reads like an historical record but has amazing insight.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Mar 10

Originally posted by dk3nny
Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon is a bit of an epic too, reads like an historical record but has amazing insight.
Did you read any of Orson Scott Card's books or series? Alfin Maker? Ender series? Call of Earth?
How bout Julian May, the Pliocene Saga series?