What movies have you seen lately.

What movies have you seen lately.

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Dec 09

The last three films i watched were all from a 2nd hand store.

Day of the Dead - pure comedy.

The Grudge, Ju on - the Japanese original. Creepy.

Requiem for a Dream - Odd film. Not one if you want some light hearted entertainment.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by badmoon
"An Education" truly angered me. The girl, the parents, the rogue all were entirely stupid and selfish. The only redeeming value of the flick was the girl's performance.

How critics could understand and glorify what happened speaks very poorly for as they watch movies.

I have a duaghter and if some cad did what that a hole did I would want to cut his nuts off.
It was a glimps into that time in Britian. How gulliable the whole family were, how they never questioned the guys intentions or thier doughters honesty. How easily swayed. Things were so different then. Kids were free to play out side no one thought about there being any dangers and people took each other at their word.
It's not like that now for sure. They seam stupid to you becasue you know now what they didn't know then.

Like us using up all the oil 😉 Yep, I just watched The Age Of Stupid.

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Inglourious Basterds.

Five stars.
Ditto.

d

Moves
15 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
I find Tarantino increasingly guilty of style over substance. I thought it was pointlessly violent, and lacked any real depth. I guess it probably came across like this because most of his films are basically westerns re-written with Tarantino's usual 'lets see how many clever slight of hands I can add'. I kept getting the feeling that QT was chuckling s ms and then paste them over his own and I'm not keen on that. Not really my kind of film.
I couldn't disagree with you more but of course it's entirely subjective. Sounds to me like you have a problem with the way the Director pays respect to his influences in his own stylish way. I, for one, respect how Tarantino acknowledges his influences in his work without apology and in doing such really puts the personal touch to his work.

Smug? Lack of depth? Pointlessly violent? It wasn't exactly aimed at being a complex drama, was it? If that's what you were expecting, well... I don't know what to tell you. Tarantino may be guilty of style over substance but you can't deny how much style he has.

As far as every German being a Nazi, I don't really understand what you mean by that. And I still don't understand why you would thought it was "weird" that I liked the movie considering that you found the movie to be well made, stylish and well directed.

S

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by darvlay
I couldn't disagree with you more but of course it's entirely subjective. Sounds to me like you have a problem with the way the Director pays respect to his influences in his own stylish way. I, for one, respect how Tarantino acknowledges his influences in his work without apology and in doing such really puts the personal touch to his work.

Smug? Lack ...[text shortened]... movie considering that you found the movie to be well made, stylish and well directed.
The weird bit was just a turn of phrase, don't get defensive, there's no need. I felt the film portrays every German soldier as a Nazi and that wasn't necessarily the case, perhaps I'm reading too much into it, or expecting too much in real world detail, after all the ending somewhat removes things from reality.

It's not that I was expecting complex drama, to be honest I didn't know what to expect at all. I just find that Tarantino's style, of which there is a heavy amount, is a patchwork of everyone else's styles. If you asked me to pinpoint what the Tarantino's style was I'd have to pick and mix from the work of other directors, being unable to put my finger on anything he has alone.

I agree, each to his own.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Dec 09
1 edit

The actress was a German and actively anti nazi. I don't know how many non-Nazi Germans you'd find in France during the occupation, but I suspect there weren't many.

Aren't you just nitpicking because Tarantino is popular?

d

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by Palynka
I don't know how many non-Nazi Germans you'd find in France during the occupation, but I suspect there weren't many.
That's what I was thinking too.

S

Moves
15 Dec 09

Contrary to general opinion, I don't form my tastes purposefully against popular culture.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
15 Dec 09

Contrary to general opinion, I don't form my tastes purposefully against popular culture.
Read that sentence again... 😵

S

Moves
16 Dec 09

Originally posted by PBE6
Read that sentence again... 😵
Lulz

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
16 Dec 09

Lulz
What does "Lulz" mean, please?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
16 Dec 09

The actress was a German and actively anti nazi. I don't know how many non-Nazi Germans you'd find in France during the occupation, but I suspect there weren't many.

While some have raved about it, quite a few people have told me the film is dull. I won't be going out of my way to watch it, not having enjoyed a Tarantino film since the great original three.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Dec 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
While some have raved about it, quite a few people have told me the film is dull. I won't be going out of my way to watch it, not having enjoyed a Tarantino film since the great original three.
The film is hit and miss, but it's well worth a watch. I found it better than the Kill Bills and Christopher Waltz's character and delivery are excellent.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Dec 09

Originally posted by badmoon
What does "Lulz" mean, please?
It means it was intentional.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
16 Dec 09