What movies have you seen lately.

What movies have you seen lately.

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Dec 09

I'll kick it off. I saw Bad lieutenant today with Nicholas Cage. A weird movie with Cage totally off the hook as a falling apart cop. The crowd left either hating it or really liking it. No middle ground with this flick.

T

Moves
14 Dec 09

That must be a remake of the Harvey Kitell(sp?) film from the 80s right?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
14 Dec 09

Stallone's "Cobra".

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
14 Dec 09

I saw 'An Education' last week sometime. It was good. The audence laughed in funny places though! It's a very English kind of film about the history and perhaps they didn't get it the same way- or maybe they were laughing at us!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
14 Dec 09

A serious man. Weird humour with some great scenes but with some very dull and pointless moments as well.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by badmoon
I'll kick it off. I saw Bad lieutenant today with Nicholas Cage. A weird movie with Cage totally off the hook as a falling apart cop. The crowd left either hating it or really liking it. No middle ground with this flick.
Not as pitch-black as the original (the scene with the meth-smoking youngster doesn't come close to the scene with Keitel and the girls in the car, for example) but Warner Herzog has said it was always meant to be a radical reimagining. He even says he hasn't seen the original...

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would: Nicholas Cage in recent, not appalling film shocker! (I give you The Wicker Man, with a shudder.)

d

Moves
14 Dec 09

Inglourious Basterds.

Five stars.

S

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Inglourious Basterds.

Five stars.
Weird, I didn't like it at all.

d

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Why is that weird? You never like anything good.

Seriously though, what didn't you like? I loved how the story flowed. I loved the characters. I loved the dialogue. I loved the soundtrack. I loved the tension. And I was absolutely blown away by the film's climax. There wasn't one part of the film I didn't like.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
14 Dec 09

I almost dirtied my pants when Christoph Waltz said "that is bingo!"

d

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by Seitse
I almost dirtied my pants when Christoph Waltz said "that is bingo!"
That man was fantastic in the film.

Also saw Brüno recently and found that to be very funny in a cringeworthy sort of way. Though it's certainly not a film for everyone. I almost soiled my britches during the movie's final redneck wrestling scene/prank.

I have also downloaded Up! which I plan to watch some time this week.

d

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Lemme guess. You hate Jews?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by yo its me
I saw 'An Education' last week sometime. It was good. The audence laughed in funny places though! It's a very English kind of film about the history and perhaps they didn't get it the same way- or maybe they were laughing at us!
"An Education" truly angered me. The girl, the parents, the rogue all were entirely stupid and selfish. The only redeeming value of the flick was the girl's performance.

How critics could understand and glorify what happened speaks very poorly for as they watch movies.

I have a duaghter and if some cad did what that a hole did I would want to cut his nuts off.

g

Pepperland

Moves
14 Dec 09

Pineapple express, great film I found it quite amusing.

I also watched quarantine, it was pretty good though I preferred the original spanish version because it made more sense (they didn't explain the end very well on the american version).

S

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Why is that weird? You never like anything good.

Seriously though, what didn't you like? I loved how the story flowed. I loved the characters. I loved the dialogue. I loved the soundtrack. I loved the tension. And I was absolutely blown away by the film's climax. There wasn't one part of the film I didn't like.
I find Tarantino increasingly guilty of style over substance. I thought it was pointlessly violent, and lacked any real depth. I guess it probably came across like this because most of his films are basically westerns re-written with Tarantino's usual 'lets see how many clever slight of hands I can add'. I kept getting the feeling that QT was chuckling smugly to himself and thinking himself clever for having Jewish soldiers commit acts of horrific vengeance akin to Nazi atrocities. I don't like the notion that every German is a Nazi either.

Sure it was well made, he's a technically adept director, but what he does very well is isolate stylistic essences from other films and then paste them over his own and I'm not keen on that. Not really my kind of film.