What JAZZ are you listening to?

What JAZZ are you listening to?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
27 Mar 11

Cuong Vu - Leaps of Faith (2011)
Marilyn Crispell - For Coltrane (1987)
Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Impressive Rome (1968)
Hanne Hukkelberg - Rykestrasse 68 (2006)
Paul Giger - Chartres (1989)
Charles Lloyd Quartet - A Night In Copenhagen (1983)

T

Moves
01 Apr 11

Barry Guy "Ithaca"
Marilyn Crispell
Paul Lytton

Matthew Shipp "One"

Georg Graewe "COUNTERfactuals"
Ernst Reijseger
Gerry Hemingway

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
03 Apr 11

Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live
Paul Bley - Conversations in Mondesi..I still don't get it but I keep trying. Sounds like pointless meandering. Is Paul Bley one of the most overrated "geniouses" in jazz?

T

Moves
07 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by badmoon
Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live
Paul Bley - Conversations in Mondesi..I still don't get it but I keep trying. Sounds like pointless meandering. Is Paul Bley one of the most overrated "geniouses" in jazz?
I assume you mean "Solo in Mondsee"?

The funny thing is that I've long thought of Bley as one of the most underappreciated. For example, some years ago a co-worker of mine told me he was a huge Jarrett fan, so I put on Bley's "The Floater Syndrome" from 1962. He started laughing and said, "He sounds just like Keith Jarrett". I told him, "Actually Jarrett sounds like Bley" and explained to him that Bley influenced Jarrett and not the other way around. He walked away seemingly puzzled yet unconvinced that that could be true. Sacred cows die hard.

T

Moves
07 Apr 11

Three albums with much in common. Besides having every possible duo combination of Tilbury/Prevost/Parker as well as the same label, studio and engineer; the first two were recorded on the same day with the third a year earlier.

Such "The Issue at Hand"
Yoshikazu Iwamoto
John Tilbury
Eddie Prevost

John Tilbury "Two Chapters and an Epilogue"
Evan Parker

Evan Parker "Most Materiall"
Eddie Prevost

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
09 Apr 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
I assume you mean "Solo in Mondsee"?

The funny thing is that I've long thought of Bley as one of the most underappreciated. For example, some years ago a co-worker of mine told me he was a huge Jarrett fan, so I put on Bley's "The Floater Syndrome" from 1962. He started laughing and said, "He sounds just like Keith Jarrett". I told him, "Actually Jarre ...[text shortened]... away seemingly puzzled yet unconvinced that that could be true. Sacred cows die hard.
The only comparison with Jarret that I can think of is the Koln concert which, although it garnered him great accalim, is amongst his weaker efforts. Sounded like he was having sex with his keyboard.

T

Moves
09 Apr 11
1 edit

The only comparison with Jarret that I can think of is the Koln concert which, although it garnered him great accalim, is amongst his weaker efforts. Sounded like he was having sex with his keyboard.
Well, that's NOT a picture I want to have in my head.

I'm guessing you've never heard the tracks my co-worker listened to which contains Bley's '62 and '63 sessions on Savoy including "Footloose".

Here' an excerpt from what Ethan Iverson had to say about "Footloose":
"Because it was the first album with Bley at full power, it’s possible that Footloose! is Bley’s most influential recording. It certainly made a big impression on certain pianists the time: Most famously, Keith Jarrett has never denied his debt to Bley and Footloose! in particular."

How much Bley have you heard?

T

Moves
11 Apr 11
1 edit

Cecil Taylor "The Hearth"
Tristan Honsinger
Evan Parker

Matthew Shipp "dna"
William Parker

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
11 Apr 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Well, that's NOT a picture I want to have in my head.

I'm guessing you've never heard the tracks my co-worker listened to which contains Bley's '62 and '63 sessions on Savoy including "Footloose".

Here' an excerpt from what Ethan Iverson had to say about "Footloose":
"Because it was the first album with Bley at full power, it’s possible that Footl ...[text shortened]... ed his debt to Bley and Footloose! in particular."

How much Bley have you heard?
Outside of the mess that I brought up, I've heard some of the 70's ECM material and a couple others.

So this is the first since the 70's.

I can see a comparison to the Koln Concert by Jarrett, but I consider that one of Jarrett's weakest efforts notwithstanding the accalim it received. I sounded like sex on the keyboard.

T

Moves
12 Apr 11

Outside of the mess that I brought up, I've heard some of the 70's ECM material and a couple others.

So this is the first since the 70's.

I can see a comparison to the Koln Concert by Jarrett, but I consider that one of Jarrett's weakest efforts notwithstanding the accalim it received. I sounded like sex on the keyboard.
Not really sure what you find objectionable about "Mondsee". I took another listen and there's a lot of really choice stuff going on there.

Maybe you need to hear Bley's approach to standards to be able to get where he's coming from. Seems like you should also be able to hear his influence on Jarrett. Check out the album "Bebop" on Steeplechase.

T

Moves
12 Apr 11

"Interpretations of Monk"

A four disc set covering two concerts spanning four sets recorded on November 1, 1981. What a great line-up.

Don Cherry
Steve Lacy
Charlie Rouse
Roswell Rudd
Richard Davis

With a different pianist for each set:
Muhal Richard Abrams
Barry Harris
Anthony Davis
Mal Waldron

With two drummers playing two sets each:
Ed Blackwell
Ben Riley

F

Moves
13 Apr 11

John Abercrombie, Eddie Gomez, Gene Jackson – Structures (2006)

Nguyen Le - Songs Of Freedom (2011)

Bohuslan Big Band - Dont Fence Me In - Plays The Music Of Cole Porter (2011)

F

Moves
13 Apr 11

I think both Bley and Jarrett are brilliant. I prefer the latter, though.

T

Moves
14 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
I think both Bley and Jarrett are brilliant. I prefer the latter, though.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Bley and it wouldn't be close. I suspect that much of what makes Jarrett so popular is what I find off-putting.

T

Moves
14 Apr 11

3 albums by Thelonious Monk:

"It's Monk's Time"

"Live at the It Club - Complete"

"Underground"