The EPIC End-of-Decade Listmaking Thread

The EPIC End-of-Decade Listmaking Thread

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
21 Aug 09

As the first decade of the 21st century comes to a close, it's time to start thinking about what this decade had to offer us. Soon every publication, blogger, website, etc. will be compiling massive lists attempting to qualify and rank the contributions made to popular culture over the last ten years.

Since we like lists so much here in the Culture forum, let's try our own. Films, filmmakers, music, musicians, books, authors, scientific discoveries, moments in history, on and on and on and on.

Anyone want to start?

g

Pepperland

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by darvlay
As the first decade of the 21st century comes to a close, it's time to start thinking about what this decade had to offer us. Soon every publication, blogger, website, etc. will be compiling massive lists attempting to qualify and rank the contributions made to popular culture over the last ten years.

Since we like lists so much here in the Culture forum ...[text shortened]... cientific discoveries, moments in history, on and on and on and on.

Anyone want to start?
for moments in history, I think we'll have to mention the obvious ones (9/11, the war on terror, and the economic crisis).

d

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
for moments in history, I think we'll have to mention the obvious ones (9/11, the war on terror, and the economic crisis).
I have Live 8 tentatively in my Number One spot. 😉

Also,

Bali Bombings
Mumbai Bombings
The 2004 Tsunami
First Black US President
The Fall of Saddam Hussein
The Economic Rise of China and India
The Hijacking of the Taj Mahal
Hurricane Katrina

g

Pepperland

Moves
21 Aug 09

I have Live 8 tentatively in my Number One spot. 😉

Also,

Bali Bombings
Mumbai Bombings
The 2004 Tsunami
First Black US President
The Fall of Saddam Hussein
The Economic Rise of China and India
The Hijacking of the Taj Mahal
Hurricane Katrina
agreed, especially with the first black president, thats a big one.

would you say the concern over global warming and the alternative fuels issue should be on the list?

d

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
agreed, especially with the first black president, thats a big one.

would you say the concern over global warming and the alternative fuels issue should be on the list?
The Rise of Green!

Certainly.

Read a book!

Moves
21 Aug 09

The arrival of Red Hot Pawn.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
21 Aug 09

Since we like lists so much here in the Culture forum ...[text shortened]... cientific discoveries, moments in history, on and on and on and on.

Anyone want to start?
I want to start with pedantry and wait until late 2010 for this thread.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
28 Aug 09

Anyone want to start?
List of NEW bands between 2000-2010 that will still be listened to or receive frequent airplay in the next decade. (Personally, i think we just went through another one hit wonder 80's type decade)

Now, use your judgement here and try to be objective. Don't just pick your current fav band.

1.________________________________________

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
28 Aug 09

Notable Movies:

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Aug 09

Originally posted by uzless
Notable Movies:

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Fight Club (the movie and the book)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Aug 09

List of NEW bands between 2000-2010 that will still be listened to or receive frequent airplay in the next decade. (Personally, i think we just went through another one hit wonder 80's type decade)

Now, use your judgement here and try to be objective. Don't just pick your current fav band.

Are Primus still together?
And Tool. Seems they wont make a bad album...

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Fight Club (the movie and the book)
That is sooooooooo 1999.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
That is sooooooooo 1999.
crap! (I should just stay out of it, I'm so 1989....🙁 )

M

Moves
01 Sep 09

the Geico Lizard (& Cavemen) and the Aflac Duck

K

Germany

Moves
01 Sep 09

M83 comes to mind, but these things are hard to predict. I think most of the indie rock bands will be forgotten soon.