The EPIC End-of-Decade Listmaking Thread

The EPIC End-of-Decade Listmaking Thread

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
01 Sep 09
2 edits

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
M83 comes to mind, but these things are hard to predict. I think most of the indie rock bands will be forgotten soon.
Sadly I would have to agree, save for a few exceptions like Animal Collective, Spoon, etc.

Even looking at what rock bands defined the 90s, I would have thought bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine would influence more artists than they do now.

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and MTV were saturated with hook-heavy R&B and pop while the internet was saturated with fringe and independent acts popular only within a set of young gormandizers.

I don't think there will be one band from this decade that people can look at and say - this is what the 00's were about. Arguably, this decade has been about the changes in medium and not the message itself. But it could be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Sadly I would have to agree, save for a few exceptions like Animal Collective, Spoon, etc.

Even looking at what rock bands defined the 90s, I would have thought bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine would influence more artists than they do now.

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and M ...[text shortened]... be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.
you're right . At least rock hasn't died yet

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Sep 09

M83 comes to mind, but these things are hard to predict. I think most of the indie rock bands will be forgotten soon.
Why M83?

K

Germany

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Why M83?
They are quite popular and it seems the shoegaze revival will carry on until at least the next decade.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Sep 09

They are quite popular and it seems the shoegaze revival will carry on until at least the next decade.
I rarely heard them on the radio or bars, but they seem popular in the film industry. That goes a long way, so you may have a point. I'd be surprised though.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Are Primus still together?
Yep. I think so. I saw them live a couple years ago.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by rbmorris
Yep. I think so. I saw them live a couple years ago.
Ah, Primus. Dr. Scribbles' sex music of choice.

S

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
Ha, he's Tommy the Cat, I presume...

d

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
I totally remember that thread.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
02 Sep 09

I totally remember that thread.
Yeah, I haven't listened to Primus since he posted that.

P

weedhopper

Moves
02 Sep 09
1 edit

I have Live 8 tentatively in my Number One spot. 😉

Also,

Bali Bombings
Mumbai Bombings
The 2004 Tsunami
First Black US President
The Fall of Saddam Hussein
The Economic Rise of China and India
The Hijacking of the Taj Mahal
Hurricane Katrina
Wasn't there some bigass earthquake in Turkey or Japan this decade? Or maybe that was the 90s....No--it was in Italy!

K

Germany

Moves
02 Sep 09

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Wasn't there some bigass earthquake in Turkey or Japan this decade? Or maybe that was the 90s....No--it was in Italy!
There was a bigger one in China.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
02 Sep 09

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and M ...[text shortened]... be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.
Like Alan Cross says, I think we're due for a reversal of the pop domination that we're in right now. Modern Music style tends to follow the economy (according to cross)...

80's economy was roaring and materialistic----80's music was poppy and shallow

90's marked by recession in early 90's, hard times---90's music was darker, anger/angst

00's economy turned around --00's-08 returned to poppy happy sounds

09-future economy bottoms out ---09-future music returns to dark and angry?

d

Moves
02 Sep 09

Originally posted by uzless
Like Alan Cross says, I think we're due for a reversal of the pop domination that we're in right now. Modern Music style tends to follow the economy (according to cross)...

80's economy was roaring and materialistic----80's music was poppy and shallow

90's marked by recession in early 90's, hard times---90's music was darker, anger/angst

00's econo ...[text shortened]... sounds

09-future economy bottoms out ---09-future music returns to dark and angry?
Hm, interesting.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Sep 09

Hm, interesting.
Please. The 80's were filled with dark music. The 90s saw the explosion of happy boy bands and Spice Girls clones, etc.

You have all types of music at all times. Uzless just likes soundbytes.