Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TSo

Moves
10 Aug 08

Why 'unnervongly gay'. I don't think the late great Durt was either gay or homophobic.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Aug 08

Originally posted by The Sultan of Solid
Why 'unnervongly gay'. I don't think the late great Durt was either gay or homophobic.
"Hit me with your rhythm stick"? You don't see the gayness there?

I don't think the song was written with gay symbolism intended, but I wouldn't be surprised if the implication wasn't intentional. It's a silly song.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
11 Aug 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
"Hit me with your rhythm stick"? You don't see the gayness there?

I don't think the song was written with gay symbolism intended, but I wouldn't be surprised if the implication wasn't intentional. It's a silly song.
Sillier than Camper van Beethoven?

I rate 'Take the Skinheads Bowling' as one of the greatest songs of all time !!!

d

Moves
15 Aug 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Dead. Good riddance.
You have no taste, Ian Dury was a God.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Aug 08

Originally posted by demonseed
You have no taste, Ian Dury was a God.
Right on both scores.

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
17 Aug 08

I met Ian Dury 20-odd years ago, when they played Glasgow Uni.

Seemed a decent, down-to-earth guy.

I've an interesting album produced after his clog-popping, with various people doing covers. Bit hit & miss - Robbie Williams doing 'Sweet Gene Vincent' just doesn't work. But Sinead O'Connor does a version of 'Wake Up' which I quite like.

Called 'Brand New Boots and Panties', so you can guess where the originals come from.

z

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" while unnervingly gay and bizaare sounds beautiful. I like Dury's voice, especially when he speaks French or verbally plays with British accents (maybe that's just his regular voice), but I listened to "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" and "Roll Over and Make Love With Me" and I was not impressed.

Does this b ...[text shortened]... ry have? That's not Cockney, but I don't know the names of any other English accents.
I think Ian was trying for the 'Essex', just east of London, accent.

His band did lots of good stuff. Also, try to find his 'Solo' Lord Uppminster.