Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
By the way, I don't know any of the bands in your first list.
Good. It's all about seeming cool. "Gosh, take a look at this list of albums, love, I need to get down the shops more..." "Are you messing about on RHP culture forum again? We've talked about that, no?" "Almost done here, love..."

And... God is an Astronaut?

Excellent stuff.

d

Moves
27 May 09

I got "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Can't say I was overly impressed with it, but maybe I should give it another spin.
That's a seminal album, dude. You need to bust that sh-t out immediately and reimbibe.

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 May 09

High in that list are Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. Even if you do not think the Beatles suck (I do), surely you must agree those two suck and sales is not a good measure of quality?
yeah, they suck.

However, I don't see why anyone would think the same about the beatles.

z

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Jorma is one of the greatest, and yet so often overlooked, guitarists of rock.
As one Rock journalist has put it, Jorma was an 'economical lead guitarist'. He raely got dragged into long, flashy solos as Clapton etc. Consequently, he did not get so much recognition as a talented and imaginative lead. Yet, Embryoinic Journey and Wooden Ships would say otherwise.

rc

Moves
27 May 09

I got "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Can't say I was overly impressed with it, but maybe I should give it another spin.
I knew and old guy once, Mr. Givens, he made grandfather clocks, anyhow, he remembers this old guy going up and down Maryhill Road in Glasgow, with a pram and a gramophone, blaring out a sermon, 'millions now living will never die'.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I knew and old guy once, Mr. Givens, he made grandfather clocks, anyhow, he remembers this old guy going up and down Maryhill Road in Glasgow, with a pram and a gramophone, blaring out a sermon, 'millions now living will never die'.
It's from some religious diatribe (although not, I suspect, as heard on Maryhill Road) that they took the name.

That's real bravery (or hubris) for you, though - wandering up and down Maryhill Road with a message of love and understanding...

On a not entirely dissimilar vein, has anyone else heard the Toronto band Holy F***? I just saw them live, for the second time, the other week. Excellent albums, but really have to be seen live to get the full effect...

d

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by DrKF
On a not entirely dissimilar vein, has anyone else heard the Toronto band Holy F***? I just saw them live, for the second time, the other week. Excellent albums, but really have to be seen live to get the full effect...
I have seen them live and I wholeheartedly concur with your assessment (I'm from Toronto). Saw them live with the equally impressive Shout Out Out Out from Edmonton.

rc

Moves
28 May 09
1 edit

It's from some religious diatribe (although not, I suspect, as heard on Maryhill Road) that they took the name.

That's real bravery (or hubris) for you, though - wandering up and down Maryhill Road with a message of love and understanding...

On a not entirely dissimilar vein, has anyone else heard the Toronto band Holy F***? I just saw them live, for the ...[text shortened]... e, the other week. Excellent albums, but really have to be seen live to get the full effect...
Lol, it wasn't me, i wasn't even born, it must have been in the nineteen thirties or something, for my friend, Mr. Givens, was quite old and has since passed away. He was a carpenter all is life and made the most wonderful grandfather clocks imaginable. he offered me one, which at the time i declined. I now wish i had accepted it.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
I have seen them live and I wholeheartedly concur with your assessment (I'm from Toronto). Saw them live with the equally impressive Shout Out Out Out from Edmonton.
Shout Out Out Out are also fantastic - sadly I haven't had the chance to see them live, but I can quite imagine they'd be good for much the same reasons as HF are...

Haven't heard much from them since the debut album, though.

I was also a little disappointed at the dearth of new material from HF. I saw them twice, just over a year apart. The live show was much tighter second time round, but I'd expected some new stuff. I only counted one new track - and even then, they rework stuff so much (Rob da Bank on Radio 1 had them in session with an all but unrecognisable Tonebank Jungle a few months back) that I couldn't even be sure it was a new track...

D
incipit parodia

Moves
28 May 09

Have you heard God is an Astronaut? Excellent stuff.
I'm not such a big fan as of other bands that have been mentioned. But if you like them and like Mogwai, you could try This Will Destroy You, who I think fall somewhere in between the two sounds. (In the end, I thought it was a bit too derivative, but it's certainly worth a listen). In a similar vein (that is, Mogwai-ish copyists) you could try to track down the album by Edinburgh band Gasgiant - although I picked up my copy at a live show, and haven't seen it for sale outside small Scottish idie record stores...

And if you'rte in the mood for obscure Scottish post-rock, the sadly lamented Ganger made some wildly inventive albums that veer more towards a heavy, angular sound (somewhere between Mogwai and Tortoise).

d

Moves
28 May 09

And if you'rte in the mood for obscure Scottish post-rock, the sadly lamented Ganger made some wildly inventive albums that veer more towards a heavy, angular sound (somewhere between Mogwai and Tortoise).
Wow - Ganger. Haven't thought of that band in a loooong time. Hammock Style was a great Math Rock album. I'll have to pull it out of the catacombs and give it another listen.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Wow - Ganger. Haven't thought of that band in a loooong time. Hammock Style was a great Math Rock album. I'll have to pull it out of the catacombs and give it another listen.
Spot on!

I actually met the bassist from Ganger at another gig several years back! I had no idea who she was until we were both howling drunk, at which point I lost all semblance of cool...

She's got (or had - another lot I haven't heard much of recently) a new band called F*** Off Machete. Radio-friendly name, eh? The debut album was OK, in a sub-Sonic Youth sort of way...

F

Moves
28 May 09

I'm not such a big fan as of other bands that have been mentioned. But if you like them and like Mogwai, you could try This Will Destroy You, who I think fall somewhere in between the two sounds. (In the end, I thought it was a bit too derivative, but it's certainly worth a listen). In a similar vein (that is, Mogwai-ish copyists) you could try to track ...[text shortened]... lbums that veer more towards a heavy, angular sound (somewhere between Mogwai and Tortoise).
Another band that i like and consider to be post-rock is Jaga Jazzist.

rc

Moves
28 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Another band that i like and consider to be post-rock is Jaga Jazzist.
I saw a private registration of a very posh car today, A8 FMF, i trust it was not you 🙂

K

Germany

Moves
28 May 09

I'm not such a big fan as of other bands that have been mentioned. But if you like them and like Mogwai, you could try This Will Destroy You, who I think fall somewhere in between the two sounds. (In the end, I thought it was a bit too derivative, but it's certainly worth a listen). In a similar vein (that is, Mogwai-ish copyists) you could try to track ...[text shortened]... lbums that veer more towards a heavy, angular sound (somewhere between Mogwai and Tortoise).
No, I don't really like Mogwai.