Ethnic films

Ethnic films

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
02 Jan 11

I apologise for want of a better title, i am interested in essentially ethnic style films, with subtitles. If you can post any film titles that you think are worth watching please let me know, two that i have enjoyed recently were ,

Atanarjuat (the fast runner), an Inuit film based on ancient mythology

Red river (Jiarui Zhang) set in a border town between China and Vietnam, tells the story of a young girl who is mentally impaired because of what happened to her father and how the war affected ordinary people.

Any other so called ethnic films (i cannot think of a better description) i would appreciate any references 🙂

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I apologise for want of a better title, i am interested in essentially ethnic style films, with subtitles. If you can post any film titles that you think are worth watching please let me know, two that i have enjoyed recently were ,

Red river (Jiarui Zhang) set in a border ...[text shortened]... alled ethnic films (i cannot think of a better description) i would appreciate any references 🙂
They just call them 'foreign films' in the US.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
02 Jan 11

Red river (Jiarui Zhang) set in a border ...[text shortened]... alled ethnic films (i cannot think of a better description) i would appreciate any references 🙂
You should engage with 'dantriola'...unfortunately he has no time for the public forum but he's the man for all things 'film'. French film is my limit I'm afraid..

rc

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by rwingett
They just call them 'foreign films' in the US.
yes, its like saying that Cantonese is a foreign language, foreign to whom? anyhow, any foreign films would do 🙂

rc

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
You should engage with 'dantriola'...unfortunately he has no time for the public forum but he's the man for all things 'film'. French film is my limit I'm afraid..
yes French films would do. I once took some teenagers to the Glasgow Film theatre (small independent theatre mostly showing non mainstream movies) to see the surrealist 1930s version of beauty and the beast (La Belle et la Bête), Jean Cocteau. They sat threw it with minimal complaint.

rc

Moves
02 Jan 11

Another (i am going to call it not foreign language but regional language) film that i liked was Aguirre, the Wrath of God, with Klaus Kinski, a film about the conquistadors fight to survive their lust for Gold, i recommend it to anyone, a fine film.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
02 Jan 11
1 edit

yes French films would do. I once took some teenagers to the Glasgow Film theatre (small independent theatre mostly showing non mainstream movies) to see the surrealist 1930s version of beauty and the beast (La Belle et la Bête), Jean Cocteau. They sat threw it with minimal complaint.
Sometimes it's hard finding French films with English subtitles, especially when seeking such films in the U.S. I've suggested a few to friends only for them to find with Spanish or Portuguese dubbing and likewise similar with subtitle...anything other than original. I immediately suggested finding a more 'local' French Canadian source but that didn't seem to be as obvious as it appeared to me..

I'd thoroughly recommend Pierre Etaix and delights such as 'The Suitor' ('Le Soupirant'😉 and 'Yoyo' from the 60's...there is a a box set that includes five works of comedy and real insight into the French psyche and culture seen through this all too overlooked genius..
How is your French by the way, I'm unsure if an English subtitled version was eventually found but I'll check if you like.. 🙂 Here is the link I sent to a friend a few months ago when the box set became available:
http://www.arteboutique.com/detailProduct.action?product.id=453721

EDIT: I nearly missed that comment of yours and the kids sitting through that film, ''They sat threw it with minimal complaint''...do I sense a degree of dry humour there 😛

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
02 Jan 11

This past year have given us quite a few excellent foreign films. Immediately I think of

Lebanon
A Prophet
The White Ribbon

rc

Moves
02 Jan 11
1 edit

Rabbit-Proof Fence,

beautiful film of three Aborigine girls that escape forced captivity in the 1930s and try to make it back home through the outback.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Jan 11

The title of this thread made me think of this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107376/

Latcho Drom, the historical journey of gypsy people told by the subtle differences and similarities in gypsy music from India until Spain.

rc

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by Palynka

Latcho Drom, the historical journey of gypsy people told by the subtle differences and similarities in gypsy music from India until Spain.
thanks for that, its gonna be awesome!

http://stagevu.com/search?for=Latcho+Drom&in=Videos

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
06 Jan 11

My Long March:

http://marxistleninist.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/film-from-the-peoples-republic-of-china-my-long-march/

GRANNY.

rc

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by Palynka

awesome film, well worth a viewing!

rc

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by badmoon
This past year have given us quite a few excellent foreign films. Immediately I think of

Lebanon
A Prophet
The White Ribbon
i tried Lebanon, it was way too gory for me 🙁

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Jan 11
1 edit

awesome film, well worth a viewing!
Glad you liked it, robbie. I find it wonderful, but it's a movie that can be hard to view in one sitting unless you're really in the mood for gypsy music in all its forms.

Edit - And if you like the music check out Taraf de Haiduks, a Romanian band of gypsy musicians who play traditional Romanian music.