1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 18:23
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Glad you liked it, robbie. I find it wonderful, but it's a movie that can be hard to view in one sitting unless you're really in the mood for gypsy music in all its forms.

Edit - And if you like the music check out Taraf de Haiduks, a Romanian band of gypsy musicians who play traditional Romanian music.
    It was indeed a celebration of humanity, but the music just got better and better. I love the French Gypsy style so reminiscent of Grappelli and Reinhardt, its hard not to with that beat. It must be noted that i have also engaged in not a little Indian dancing myself!
  2. The sky
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 21:46
    The title of this thread made me think of this:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107376/

Latcho Drom, the historical journey of gypsy people told by the subtle differences and similarities in gypsy music from India until Spain.
    That looks very interesting.

Speaking of films in which music plays a major role, here's another one that I enjoyed very much: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1426374/ (I have no idea why they put the Norwegian title rather than the original title first!)
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 19:17
    raise the red lantern, awesome film!

http://www.foreignfilms.com/film.php?asin=B000PMFS6O
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 19:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I apologise for want of a better title, i am interested in essentially ethnic style films, with subtitles. If you can post any film titles that you think are worth watching please let me know, two that i have enjoyed recently were ,

Atanarjuat (the fast runner), an Inuit film based on ancient mythology

Red river (Jiarui Zhang) set in a border ...[text shortened]... alled ethnic films (i cannot think of a better description) i would appreciate any references 🙂
    Gomorrah (Italy)
    City of God (Brazil)
    The Lives of Others (German)
    C.R.A.Z.Y. (French Canadian)
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 19:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Another (i am going to call it not foreign language but regional language) film that i liked was Aguirre, the Wrath of God, with Klaus Kinski, a film about the conquistadors fight to survive their lust for Gold, i recommend it to anyone, a fine film.
    I like Kinski/Herzog however my favourite film with the two of them is the documentary My Best Fiend about their turbulent working and personal relationship and Kinski's unstable personality.

That Kinski was a loose canoon to say the least.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 19:31
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That looks very interesting.

Speaking of films in which music plays a major role, here's another one that I enjoyed very much: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1426374/ (I have no idea why they put the Norwegian title rather than the original title first!)
    Looks very interesting! I get the English one, so I guess IMDB adapts to your location.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 22:571 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I like Kinski/Herzog however my favourite film with the two of them is the documentary My Best Fiend about their turbulent working and personal relationship and Kinski's unstable personality.

That Kinski was a loose canoon to say the least.
    yes but his daughter is tasty! 🙂
  8. The sky
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 23:50
    Looks very interesting! I get the English one, so I guess IMDB adapts to your location.
    Ah, that makes sense. It just surprised me because most films appear with either the original title or the English title first, but maybe that's simply because IMDb usually doesn't have the Norwegian title on record.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 03:45
    To live, a must see, set in the tumultuous period between pre communist and communist china, a family's struggle to simply live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Live_%28film%29
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 23:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Gomorrah (Italy)
    City of God (Brazil)
    The Lives of Others (German)
    C.R.A.Z.Y. (French Canadian)
    The Lives of Others, wow, what a great film!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 23:14
    The Story of Qiu Ju 🙂😀🙂😀🙂

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105197/usercomments
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 22:351 edit
    The Gods Must be Crazy- not sure how you'd get hold of a copy though. Long time since I watched it but I remeber it being funny- depends on your sense of humour though 😉

Cine-asia have made two films that I have seen recently, Mulan (a love story) and Confucius (about the famous Chinese philosopher). Of the two the first I enjoyed more.

Pan's labyrinth was good too, I think it was Smug who recomended that to me, and it is very good indeed.

There was a beautiful French film I saw a while back, if I remember the tittle I'll post again. It was lovelly to watch but for some reason I don't think the words were working so I didn't know entirely what the story was.....
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jan '11 14:26
    Originally posted by yo its me
    The Gods Must be Crazy- not sure how you'd get hold of a copy though. Long time since I watched it but I remeber it being funny- depends on your sense of humour though 😉

Cine-asia have made two films that I have seen recently, Mulan (a love story) and Confucius (about the famous Chinese philosopher). Of the two the first I enjoyed more.

Pan's labyri ...[text shortened]... ason I don't think the words were working so I didn't know entirely what the story was.....
    Mulan was a refreshing mix of sacrifice for a higher cause and heroism, mixed with anti-war and sentiments of simply wanting to be at peace with oneself. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree