16 Mar '16 00:32
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    pissoff loser
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 01:26
    Originally posted by my2sons
    pissoff loser
    the words of a blessed family man (from his bio)
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't have two fake clans. I am leader of the most prolific and illustrious clan in the history of Internet chess, Da Easy Riders, coming in from the Virginia swamps with a back beat, narrow and hard to master! riding on the highway of desire!

On the contrary your attempts to hijack the thread are an attempt at deflection, to deflect the guilt of the slithery one1
    I grew up near the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia. Please leave Virginia out of this. I expect you have some geography closer to home that will be consistent with your prose.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 15:012 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I grew up near the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia. Please leave Virginia out of this. I expect you have some geography closer to home that will be consistent with your prose.
    Actually I don't. Virginia it is and Virginia it must stay. You should be pleased that the illustrious Easy Riders make mention of it. The prose is from a song, Texas radio and the big beat, by The Doors of Perception.

I wanna tell you 'bout Texas Radio and the Big Beat
    Comes out of the Virginia swamps
    Cool and slow with plenty of precision
    With a back beat narrow and hard to master

Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance
    Others, mean and rueful of the Western dream
    I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft
    We have constructed pyramids in honor of our escaping
    This is the land where the Pharaoh died

The Negroes in the forest brightly feathered
    They are saying, "Forget the night.
    Live with us in forests of azure.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned - immaculate."
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 09:29
    Actually I don't. Virginia it is and Virginia it must stay. You should be pleased that the illustrious Easy Riders make mention of it. The prose is from a song, Texas radio and the big beat, by The Doors of Perception.
    The name of the tune is "The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)", from the album L.A. Woman (1971).

From Songfacts.com:
    "Texas Radio" refers to high power Mexican radio stations that blasted into Texas in the 1950s. Not restricted by American regulations these stations, whose call letters started with X, could have up to 150,000 watts. Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek both heard Wolfman Jack on one. (This is also what ZZ Top's "I Heard It On The X" was about. -- Suzi )
    This is a spoken word piece of Jim Morrison's poetry accompanied by John Densmore's drums. Morrison wrote the lyrics years before this was recorded, and used to perform it as a poem.
    The verse, "Comes out of the Virginia swamps cool and slow with plenty of precision with a back beat narrow and hard to master" is most likely a reference to Morrison's first real experience with the music scene. From 1958 to 1960 Morrison lived in Alexandria, Virginia and frequented the Juke Joints (blues clubs) on Route 1 just north of Fort Belvoir where Black Blues musicians would play on Friday and Saturday nights. That area where the Juke Joints used to be is right on the eastern edge of a swamp. (thanks, Steve - Alexandria, VA)
    In 1968, the lyrics were published in a Doors souvenir book.
    Morrison's vocal was double-tracked to make it stand out.
    The phrase "Stoned Immaculate" came from a lyric in this song: "Out here we is stoned immaculate." That phrase became the title for a 2000 Doors tribute album featuring the surviving members as well as Aerosmith, The Cult, Chrissie Hynde, and others.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 10:101 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The name of the tune is "The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)", from the album L.A. Woman (1971).

From Songfacts.com:
    "Texas Radio" refers to high power Mexican radio stations that blasted into Texas in the 1950s. Not restricted by American regulations these stations, whose call letters started with X, could have up to 150,000 watts. Jim M ...[text shortened]... lbum featuring the surviving members as well as Aerosmith, The Cult, Chrissie Hynde, and others.
    how vewy vewy intwesting 😀
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 10:37
    I don't have two fake clans. I am leader of the most prolific and illustrious clan in the history of Internet chess, Da Easy Riders, coming in from the Virginia swamps with a back beat, narrow and hard to master! riding on the highway of desire!

On the contrary your attempts to hijack the thread are an attempt at deflection, to deflect the guilt of the slithery one1
    The point is that the Easy Riders hail from the Glasgow area! Virginia just doesn't come into it!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 11:48
    Originally posted by Startreader
    The point is that the Easy Riders hail from the Glasgow area! Virginia just doesn't come into it!
    Second city of the empire! and actually built with money from Virginia and the Carolinas. Also made blockade runners for the South during american civil war. Jeffersen Davies actually visited the city as he had close friends living here. There is a Glasgow in Georgia, which is NO coincidence!
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 16:231 edit
    Second city of the empire! and actually built with money from Virginia and the Carolinas. Also made blockade runners for the South during american civil war. Jeffersen Davies actually visited the city as he had close friends living here. There is a Glasgow in Georgia, which is NO coincidence!
    HI Robbie,

I apologize if this digresses from the thread, but I thought you would find this digression funny!

Michael Flatley's Lords of the Dance Company sent a troupe to EPCOT at Walt Disney World, and my wife and I went with my parents to see it. My family is from the Carolinas and Virginia, and there is a strong Scotch-Irish influence there.

Well, the show began with a lady on a fiddle, and some people dancing in the style we call "flatland clogging", which is sort of like US square dancing, and occurs in small towns on weekends all through the southern Appalachian Mountains in places like the local YMCA or school gymnasiums.

I said to my parents,"Well, I did not expect to see this! It's a nice touch to connect flatland clogging to it's roots, but I wonder when the performance is going to start?"

It turns out that WAS the performance! It was a nice show, but we then went to the internet to see more, and it made us laugh at ourselves for our simplicity- but we laughed at the Yankees even more, who were paying big bucks (lots of $$) to see something they could see any weekend down south. The quality was better than most, but they have rivals in the Appalachians who will never see the big stage.

The world gets smaller every day!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 16:541 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    HI Robbie,

I apologize if this digresses from the thread, but I thought you would find this digression funny!

Michael Flatley's Lords of the Dance Company sent a troupe to EPCOT at Walt Disney World, and my wife and I went with my parents to see it. My family is from the Carolinas and Virginia, and there is a strong Scotch-Irish influence there. ...[text shortened]... ivals in the Appalachians who will never see the big stage.

The world gets smaller every day!
    Yes I have seen square dancing as its termed. Its more akin to English barn dancing than a Scottish ceilidh which tends to be more fast and furious and its not unknown for some young lady to be flung across the dance floor by her over zealous partner.

My father is big fan of Appalachian music and even has a banjo which hie picks and strums. Last time he was trying to learn an American reel i think. Yes indeed, maybe one day I will see the south, but i need go to that bastion of Puritism New York first cause my Sister in law lives there. But its not far to Baltimore and stuff 😀
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 18:54
    Yes I have seen square dancing as its termed. Its more akin to English barn dancing than a Scottish ceilidh which tends to be more fast and furious and its not unknown for some young lady to be flung across the dance floor by her over zealous partner.

My father is big fan of Appalachian music and even has a banjo which hie picks and strums. Last ...[text shortened]... sm New York first cause my Sister in law lives there. But its not far to Baltimore and stuff 😀
    Yeah, clogging is really closer to line dancing than square dancing. Line dancing is popular in Country/Western/ music formats now, while square dancing has all but disappeared except in schools and niche events.

Like chess, many of these things have lots of history, and have evolved in such a way that participants who are centuries apart may not recognize the evolutionary path. We are fortunate that chess has a written history that records games, whereas we have no video of dancing from centuries ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree