Challenges

Challenges

Clans

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone Fishing

England

Moves
01 Mar 21

@mghrn55

Indeed ... that's how IT people work 🙂

And as someone who has spent all their working life in IT, I would be extremely surprised if it was too difficult for Russ .... I'm sure he has bigger IT challenges than changing a bit of code that 'updates a new rating only when the match is clan-related and makes that rating available to view when challenges are being set-up' ....

If you had a CER you could probably lose the 1 year rating and the 90-day rating (just a thought)

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
01 Mar 21
2 edits

@maxtheminnow said
@Wycombe-Al

Having a 'clan entry rating' is to me the single most beneficial change that could be made.

It doesn't make sense, to me, that a rating that is used to set up clan challenges can be subject to manipulation through playing games that have nothing to do with clans

In the meantime I just work to TER & 1 year-rating, as current and 90-day are meaningles ...[text shortened]... they realise the challenge has either been won or lost .... but a 'CER' would be a real improvement
Just wondering do YOU also see the players who have lost games drag them out for days? No way of winning a king on the board their opponent with a few extra minor pieces and pawns to boot. Is that just a way of stopping that Clan from being able to start another Clan Challenge? It could also possibly effect the Clan rating. Then if someone resigns, people such as yourself will say well they did that to control their rating? Kind of like being between a rock and a hard place in my humble opinion.

-VR

m

Moves
01 Mar 21

@maxtheminnow said
@Wycombe-Al

Having a 'clan entry rating' is to me the single most beneficial change that could be made.

It doesn't make sense, to me, that a rating that is used to set up clan challenges can be subject to manipulation through playing games that have nothing to do with clans

In the meantime I just work to TER & 1 year-rating, as current and 90-day are meaningles ...[text shortened]... they realise the challenge has either been won or lost .... but a 'CER' would be a real improvement
I wouldn't call it sandbagging any more if we had a separate rating for clan games.
The objective is to win the clan challenges and collect the points.
If the challenge is won, and the points are waiting to be collected, then the top priority is to collect the points.

The accusations of sandbagging have been around since before I joined my current clan.
But the shenanigans can happen on both sides.
Right now I have 2 challenges being held up by opponents who have only a king left on the board dragging out the last game in each challenge.
Think about it. My players' ratings are being held down by someone who won't resign a hopelessly lost game.
My players could be accused of sandbagging their rating because their opponents won't resign.

The real sandbagging happens when some players use tournament games to manipulate their ratings for easier opponents in clan games.

Ask Lemondrop. He can tell you all about it. 😛

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
01 Mar 21

never sandbagged
I've been accused unjustly by some malcontents
I have a dismal record in tournament games because I would forget that I had entered a particular tournament and would suddenly be flooded with a bunch of games
I would try to handle the increase by playing but would have to concede defeat early
I would always apologize to my opponents
everyone understood
amen

m

Moves
01 Mar 21

@lemondrop said
never sandbagged
I've been accused unjustly by some malcontents
I have a dismal record in tournament games because I would forget that I had entered a particular tournament and would suddenly be flooded with a bunch of games
I would try to handle the increase by playing but would have to concede defeat early
I would always apologize to my opponents
everyone understood
amen
Speak about McTayto. That's who I was referring to.
You had quite the gig going there before your clan was spanked by site administration.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
01 Mar 21

@mghrn55 said
You had quite the gig going there before your clan was spanked by site administration.
sorry
paranoia I guess
I would never judge another person's motive
I'm not as saintly as you

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
01 Mar 21

@mghrn55 said
Metallica resign games once a challenge has been decided thus reducing ratings for their players - Sandbagging for years
Just as well you don't live in a glass house

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
02 Mar 21
1 edit

@mctayto said
Metallica resign games once a challenge has been decided thus reducing ratings for their players - Sandbagging for years
Just as well you don't live in a glass house
I feel a need to join a clan
open one and I'll be the first to join
for old times sake
😉

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
02 Mar 21

@venda said
Of course Rusty.Our clan has been successful for a good many years without bothering much with the forum.I was just endorsing the comment made earlier where someone said that their forum wasn't used much
I think majority of forums are quiet and not used much. I know what you mean you made every effort you could and not much in the way of response.

-VR

Here

Moves
03 Mar 21

@mghrn55 said
I wouldn't call it sandbagging any more if we had a separate rating for clan games.
The objective is to win the clan challenges and collect the points.
If the challenge is won, and the points are waiting to be collected, then the top priority is to collect the points.

The accusations of sandbagging have been around since before I joined my current clan.
But the shenanig ...[text shortened]... heir ratings for easier opponents in clan games.

Ask Lemondrop. He can tell you all about it. 😛
If each game in a challenge counted you wouldn't give them up quite as easily
The whole clan points system should be sorted out

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
03 Mar 21

@padger said
If each game in a challenge counted you wouldn't give them up quite as easily
The whole clan points system should be sorted out
Where did you get the impression any of the games were given up easily?

I have one in Progress where we have won the Challenge and my opponent is moving very slowly to put it nicely. I could resign that and we still win the Challenge but haven't done so. Perhaps that is what my opponent is hoping for I don't know as I can't read their mind on the why? It could be to stop us from starting another Challenge? Is that sportsmanship to you padge?

-VR

Here

Moves
03 Mar 21

@very-rusty said
Where did you get the impression any of the games were given up easily?

I have one in Progress where we have won the Challenge and my opponent is moving very slowly to put it nicely. I could resign that and we still win the Challenge but haven't done so. Perhaps that is what my opponent is hoping for I don't know as I can't read their mind on the why? It could be to stop us from starting another Challenge? Is that sportsmanship to you padge?

-VR
According to you ,you should give the game up shouldn't you ?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
03 Mar 21

@padger said
You never answered one of my questions, they weren't difficult, yet you decided to avoid them.

-VR

m

Moves
03 Mar 21
1 edit

@padger said
As the clan leader I will respond.
In the example Very Rusty provided, he is in an end game where his opponent has only a king on the board against multiple pieces including 2 pawns that can queen unstopped.
My position on these games is that my players should play for the win, because they've earned it.
But in a game like chess which is a gentleman's game, one would think that the opponent would resign. And my player's rating would go up about 14 points.
My player's rating is not increasing by those 14 points because his opponent isn't resigning his game.
It is no surprise that I find it laughable that I am still seeing some people accusing our clan's players of sandbagging their rating when it is the opponents who are holding up the ratings points.
It is even more laughable when the accusations come from someone like McTayto who took sandbagging to a level that made the ratings a joke.

That is why I am of the opinion that the clan leaders should bear the responsibility of due diligence when negotiating clan challenges with other clan leaders.
i.e. - clan leaders should simply do their homework !! With the tools this site has made available. We can have a healthy and respectful discussion on how to improve those tools.
And there is some new blood in the clan community that will revitalize this feature. And yes, offer a serious challenge to our clan.
And I welcome that. I'd rather spend my subscription money meeting those challenges than having to answer to the whiners and complainers and the actual cheats who hurl false accusations at our clan.

btw, I've seen you drag out games in decided challenges. I would appreciate it if you didn't ask my players to defend their integrity against the likes of you.
You know ........ pot and kettle.....

Here

Moves
04 Mar 21

@mghrn55 said
As the clan leader I will respond.
In the example Very Rusty provided, he is in an end game where his opponent has only a king on the board against multiple pieces including 2 pawns that can queen unstopped.
My position on these games is that my players should play for the win, because they've earned it.
But in a game like chess which is a gentleman's game, one would think ...[text shortened]... y players to defend their integrity against the likes of you.
You know ........ pot and kettle.....
I just play chess and I am not very good at it
That is probably why I continue to play in games where I know I probably cannot win, if the othe player plays to his/her abilities
But there is always the possability that my opponent makes a mistake and I end up winning a game I shouldn't
So until every game becomes won before it has been played I shall carry on
So stick that in your pipe and smoke it