1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 12:40
    @padger said
    I just play chess and I am not very good at it
    That is probably why I continue to play in games where I know I probably cannot win, if the othe player plays to his/her abilities
    But there is always the possability that my opponent makes a mistake and I end up winning a game I shouldn't
    So until every game becomes won before it has been played I shall carry on
    So stick that in your pipe and smoke it
    Ok, got it. And fair enough......if you are waiting for your opponent to get run over by a bus, who am I to judge.

My response to you was about you accusing my player of something you think is questionable.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:00
    @padger said
    I just play chess and I am not very good at it
    That is probably why I continue to play in games where I know I probably cannot win, if the othe player plays to his/her abilities
    But there is always the possability that my opponent makes a mistake and I end up winning a game I shouldn't
    So until every game becomes won before it has been played I shall carry on
    So stick that in your pipe and smoke it
    Another question that most likely will go unanswered.

Say, your down to a King and your opponent has a couple pieces plus 2 connected p's would you still play on? If so what would be your reasoning for doing so?

-VR
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:07
    @very-rusty said
    Another question that most likely will go unanswered.

Say, your down to a King and your opponent has a couple pieces plus 2 connected p's would you still play on? If so what would be your reasoning for doing so?

-VR
    a chance for a stalemate for one
    a timeout win possibility for another
    could be a personal thing with the opponent
    maybe he is not the type to give up no matter the odds against him are
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:22
    there was a story
    don't know if it is true
    that Bobby Fischer wanted to play on with only kings on the board
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:351 edit
    @lemondrop said
    a chance for a stalemate for one
    a timeout win possibility for another
    could be a personal thing with the opponent
    maybe he is not the type to give up no matter the odds against him are
    Lemon the odds of a stalemate with a seasoned Clan Player is highly unlikely.

A time out would be more likely but look and see how many timeouts I have against me!

I may make a game last in a nothing game especially if the opponent comes into a forum I am in and demands I move, but I never do that in my Clan games. Always the first move I make is in those games.

I don't believe my opponent has a personal thing with me, at least nothing I know about.

More likely is just to hold the challenge up that is already won would be my humble opinion. Also stopping me from gaining an extra 14 points or so keeping my rating lower than it should be. Then people such as yourself accuse sandbagging, when it is actually the person holding up the game that should be held accountable for it.

-VR
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:37
    @very-rusty said
    Lemon the odds of a stalemate with a seasoned Clan Player is highly unlikely.

A time out would be more likely but look and see how many timeouts I have against me!

I may make a game last in a nothing game especially if the opponent comes into a forum I am in and demands I move, but I never do that in my Clan games. Always the first move I make is in those games.

I ...[text shortened]... g, when it is actually the person holding up the game that should be held accountable for it.

-VR
    gobbledygook
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:49
    @lemondrop said
    gobbledygook
    Probably your most intelligent response lemon.

-VR
  8. Standard memberMaxtheminnow
    Gone Fishing
    England
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 20:23
    @Very-Rusty

Ordinarily I would tend to agree, and for me personally I can't ever remember being in a stalemated game eitherway (and certainly not in correspondence).... however, I did see one of our clan games recently where one player had 2 queens and 2 rooks versus 2 bishops and managed to stalemate 🙂

So if the challenge was still undecided then I could see why someone would play to the end ...
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Mar '21 19:301 edit
    @maxtheminnow said
    @Very-Rusty

Ordinarily I would tend to agree, and for me personally I can't ever remember being in a stalemated game eitherway (and certainly not in correspondence).... however, I did see one of our clan games recently where one player had 2 queens and 2 rooks versus 2 bishops and managed to stalemate 🙂

So if the challenge was still undecided then I could see why someone would play to the end ...
    This isn't the case the person only has a king left on the board.

Delaying or trying for a stalemate which will not happen.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree