Vacation system update

Vacation system update

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Russ
See my post above about tournaments.

Regarding the double post - I can't explain it, the broadcast bot got a little too enthusiastic. But it was killed before it completed the second batch, so not everyone was affected. Worse things have happened. 🙂

-Russ
Russ,

I understand that this will move games more quickly for nonsubscribers, as well as the fact that it would seem more attractive for one to subscribe. However, is it not possible to allow nonsubscribers the opportunity to put up a flagg of sorts that will bring it to people's attention that they are on vacation, while not giving any timout protection. I know a lot of people who might otherwise time out see a vacation flag and don't, but will now time out without realizing the situation.

t

Moves
22 Feb 07

Sorry if this sounds really dumb. But is do not quite follow your description of the new settings. I have read and re-read both the forum and original message and am still confused.

Please correct my thoughts where i am wrong:

(i) From 14th March current members will have 36 days as a lump block awarded to them to book vacations.

(ii) New subscribers will earn 36 per year pro rata.

heres where i am confused:

(iii) After being members for 12 months with the new subcribers from (ii) get a 36 day block forthe next year or still earn it pro rata ??????

(iv) Are current subscribers being awarded 36 days and then additional days pro rata after used vacation days. So that the max days available is always 36. It just gets refilled pro rata ??????

Sorry i am just confused.

cheers
trekkie

DS

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Delmer
You have another choice: subscribe.
How does me subscribing make it fair for non subs playing subscribers?

D

Somewhere out there

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
How does me subscribing make it fair for non subs playing subscribers?
It is not fair........so I have no choice in the future. I have to play only against non-subscriber.....🙁

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by DagamoStyle
It is not fair........so I have no choice in the future. I have to play only against non-subscriber.....🙁
Is it not fair that you don't get to play in tournaments?

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by hopscotch
Comments on the devastating effect that this feature will have on the [b]Clan Leagues are welcome in Thread 63419.[/b]
Comments about me not giving a rats ass.

Thread 16193

R

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by abejnood
Russ,

I understand that this will move games more quickly for nonsubscribers, as well as the fact that it would seem more attractive for one to subscribe. However, is it not possible to allow nonsubscribers the opportunity to put up a flagg of sorts that will bring it to people's attention that they are on vacation, while not giving any timout protection ...[text shortened]... time out see a vacation flag and don't, but will now time out without realizing the situation.
I suppose just pm your opponents. Considering there can be at most six of them, it shouldn't be too much trouble. If they are going to time you out after you've pmed them, then they would have timed you out had you put a vacation flag up.

However, since this has the potential to seriously slow down non-subs' games, I think Russ should allow us to play 8 or 9 concurrent games to make up for it.

aka DEFIANT

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Comments about me not giving a rats ass.

Thread 16193
*grunt*

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by Russ
To respond to all those concerned about tournaments. We knew this feature could be damaging to tournament progress in particular, and that would be what the naysayers would protest about most strongly.

Well, to counter that, I wanted the 'tournament round progression prior to all group games being finished' code to be released at about the same time, or sho ...[text shortened]... o get that finished. (I have posted about it again here Thread 63433).

-Russ
If things get too bogged down, perhaps another thing you could do is add a minimum and/or maximum slotted vacation time. (for instance, say 12 and 3 days, with at least a one-day break.) This way users won't casually dip into their vacation time, and if they want to take an extended break, they will have to move at least once within the maximum time to keep games moving.

DS

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Is it not fair that you don't get to play in tournaments?
Of course that is fair; it is also a completely different situation.
Time management is part of the overall game - for one side to have an advantage is intrinsically unfair.
Why is there no option to turn it off when making an open invite? At least that would level the playing field for those games - no one would have to accept the games if they didn't want to.

DS

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by abejnood

I understand that this will move games more quickly for nonsubscribers,
Eh? How do you figure that out - it seems more likely to do the opposite.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Eh? How do you figure that out - it seems more likely to do the opposite.
nonsubscribers,

If you do not want to subscribe, but still want to play alot, here's who to play.

http://www.chessatwork.com/core/playertable.php?col=8&state=asc

DS

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by Ramned
nonsubscribers,

If you do not want to subscribe, but still want to play alot, here's who to play.

http://www.chessatwork.com/core/playertable.php?col=8&state=asc
You are missing the point.
The whole point is that subscribers can just leave non-subscribers hanging there waiting whenever they want to - and the non-subscribers will have to resign or not play.
I know the simple answer is, 'non-subs are not forced to play subs', and henceforth they will probably more and more concentrate on playing each other only, which I imagine will suit most people anyway.

Personally speaking, it made no difference to me whether my opponent was or was not a subscriber.....unfortunately now it does.

m

Moves
23 Feb 07

I didn't get any answers to these questions when I posted them earlier, so I'm reposting them in case they just got overlooked...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is probably a good idea overall, but I am still fuzzy on the details. Let me lay out a few situations which would clarify exactly how this system would work.

1) If I am playing a typical 3/7 game, and I book a 14 day vacation, and it is my move when that vacation starts, my opponent will be able to time me out and claim the win if I do not move during my vacation (since I only have 3 days timeout and 7 days timebank and I'm gone for 14 days). This is because it must be my opponent's move at the onset of my vacation (or I must move during my vacation) in order for my vacation settings to mean anything. Is this correct?

2) If I am playing a 3/7 game, and I book a 14 day vacation, and it is my opponent's move when the my vacation begins, then at the end of my vacation, my timebank will not have depleted at all and I will have my full 3 days timeout in which to move. Or, another possibility is that my timebank is gone (because I think I saw a comment earlier which said that the clock on timebanks never stops), but I still have my usual 3 days timeout in which to move at the end of my vacation. Which, if either, of these is correct?

3) If I book a a few directly consecutive vacations (as suggested in some earlier posts, to avoid the consequences of vacations being uncancelable once they've begun), and my opponent moves within the first vacation period and I do not, then my second vacation begins with it being my move. If #1 above is correct, then my second and following vacations are useless and I will just end up being timed out even though I'm on vacation. If this is correct, then is the "shorter consecutive vacation" strategy a pointless one?

I've read through all the posts on this thread, and I don't think the above questions have been answered anywhere.

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by mikebind
I didn't get any answers to these questions when I posted them earlier, so I'm reposting them in case they just got overlooked...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is probably a good idea overall, but I am still fuzzy on the details. Let me lay out a few situations which would clarify exactly how ...[text shortened]... ts on this thread, and I don't think the above questions have been answered anywhere.
I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking. If you are playing a 3/7 game and intend to go away for 2 weeks, you need to book a vacation for the days that aren't covered by your time-out and timebank period.

For instance imagine you are going on holiday on the 1st June and returning on the 15th June. You make your last move on 1st June, just before setting off on vacation. You have to assume that your opponent will make a move as soon as he sees that you have gone! The first 3 days of your holiday are covered by the 3 day time-out. On the 4th day, your timebank starts running down. By the 11th day, your timebank will be completely depleted. So you need to book the vacation to cover from June 11th until after you return on the 15th, I would probably book from June 10th until at least June 16th in order to be safe.

I don't see why you would need to book more than one vacation at a time. Just check all the time-out and timebank settings of your games and make sure that you have enough vacation days booked in order to cover every eventuality.